I originally was set on getting this package

Marshall 100W JCM 2000 Head with 1960B Cabinet for $1400 used.

But now, I have changed my mind to getting this package

A brand new Marshall DSL 401 Combo for around a grand.

Here's my info:

I play mostly covers, a few originals. Play classic rock to new from Beatles, Sabbath, CCR, and Maiden, to GNR, Van Halen, Pearl Jam, Petty, Chili Peppers, etc. Favorite song we play is War Pigs, so that one HAS to sound good. We play small-average bars (100-200 ppl).

Can you convince me not to get the Combo, or am I making the right decision?
Have you actually played them amps?
I'd say either get the DSL50 head (don't bother with 100 watts) or get a different combo or amp that'll cover them grounds better, as the DSL won't do them all brilliantly.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
They will both sound different as the head has EL34 tubes while the combo has EL84's

And I've heard the DSL's are more of a modern voiced amp, you might want to consider a more classic voiced amp like a JCM800 (Though it only has one channel)
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
i've heard there's lesser tube life in the combo's due to the speaker and tubes basically being housed in the same box. the vibrations tend to rattle the tubes more shortening the life.

anyone else heard this or experience it?

that amp would do most of that list but u might be wanting the TSL to have the extra crunch channel for PJ, Chilis etc.
Quote by joeytroupe
I originally was set on getting this package

Marshall 100W JCM 2000 Head with 1960B Cabinet for $1400 used.

But now, I have changed my mind to getting this package

A brand new Marshall DSL 401 Combo for around a grand.

Here's my info:

I play mostly covers, a few originals. Play classic rock to new from Beatles, Sabbath, CCR, and Maiden, to GNR, Van Halen, Pearl Jam, Petty, Chili Peppers, etc. Favorite song we play is War Pigs, so that one HAS to sound good. We play small-average bars (100-200 ppl).

Can you convince me not to get the Combo, or am I making the right decision?

dam you dont need a half stack in a small bar