I'm saving up for a new amp and I was wondering what your thoughts were on the Peavey 6505 (5150) or Carvin V3. I play mostly metal so high gain would be a must.
And if you have any other suggestions my ears are open. Price range of around 1600 and under.
The Don of the UG Mafia, PM me to join the family.

General of the Rage Against the Myspace Club, PM me to enlist.

Member #2 of the 'Shut the fuck up and respect other people's music' Club.' PM TheGospelOfRob to join.
I was gonna make a thread on these exact same amps! awesome

But as for me, cleans aren't neccesary, probably going to use Chorus with it, so I say meh-clean.
And I play just about all versions of Metal and Rock
Esp Ltd EC-400
Wylde Overdrive
Dano Eq
Fab Chorus
Boss Ns-7
Boss Me-50
Jcm 800 (to be replaced soon)

BIG
Has anyone played the V3
Esp Ltd EC-400
Wylde Overdrive
Dano Eq
Fab Chorus
Boss Ns-7
Boss Me-50
Jcm 800 (to be replaced soon)

BIG
Good cleans would be nice but I don't really need them much so I'd say meh cleans.
The Don of the UG Mafia, PM me to join the family.

General of the Rage Against the Myspace Club, PM me to enlist.

Member #2 of the 'Shut the fuck up and respect other people's music' Club.' PM TheGospelOfRob to join.
The Peavey will have a bit tighter gain, the V3 can be a little fizzy. The Carvin has better cleans, the shimmery kind. I bet you could find a used 5150 for less money than the Carvin.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
I've owned both. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

The 6505 I had was hella loud and favored of course....straight up rock. Not much to the amp itself, just sounded for rocking out and playing loud as hell. Not many choices here, but for what it was built for its pretty badass. The tone is all to itself though, so you might want to note that.

The V3 has so much more versatility. While it's still a great amp, it might not suit you completely. The V3's overall tonal options for high gain metal, just aren't that appealing to me and hardly exist on the amp. The v3 has enough gain, but I dunno, the cleans and lightly overdriven Marshall-ness is what led me to the V3.

I'd say 6505 for you.