I've been trying to play the artificial harmonics in the part played before the main verse of Cemetery Gates, but I can never make them sound right. Is Dime doing something with the whammy bar, or is there just a certain technique to it?
Last edited by BloodOnMyHands at Aug 20, 2006,
It's done with the whammy bar.

Basically, flick the string, dive down on the whammy bar, then hit the harmonic and pull the bar up. Search www.youtube.com for the Dimebag instructional videos on it.
i did it with my dime but with ****ty factory pickups so it sucked either way.But the good way i had em scream good was watchin the video on youtube i did Dimebag's style and did what he was sayin but with the bar i had it come out good if the side of my hand hit the string and it made the good squeal noise,just work on it like i did and u should be good to go,good luck with it
Empire Records one of the best films ever.
His name isnt Warren.
His name isnt Warren.
His name isnt Warren?
I thouht his name was Warren?

"slayer sabbath:
whats wrong with metal, has this website been taking over by power chording, girl pants wearing, emos?"
Yup what he said.
This can be done on all strings, but sounds best the G string. The highest pitch is around 1-2 fret and is also the hardest one to get right. From 4th and up is pretty easy, but to pick up the harmonic on the 1st or 2nd, you need either some hot PU's or alot of treble. I tried this on my old crappy squier, and to get it to work I had to use the bridge mic, boost the channel on the amp and fully close my wah (more treble).
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
BULL****!!!!!!!1

They r pinched harmonics, but done nearer the neck to produce a harmonic that is 1 octave up. In the song they are double tracked, he played it different live. Do a pinch harmonic near the neck pickup. Takes practise at first, but its easy really. AT THE END is where he does the harmonic squels to follow Phil's singing. Trust me.
^ In the instructional video, he explains that in Cemetary Gates, he uses natural harmonics with the bar to sing the pitch of phil's singing.
Last edited by Guitarislife125 at Aug 20, 2006,
why is it that whenever someone says Dimebag and harmonics in the same sentence everyone jumps to "WHAMMY HARMONICS LAWL!" like he never used pinch harmonics. There is no way he could get those whammy harmonics out then go banck to regular playing so quickly.
Dickless.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
why is it that whenever someone says Dimebag and harmonics in the same sentence everyone jumps to "WHAMMY HARMONICS LAWL!" like he never used pinch harmonics. There is no way he could get those whammy harmonics out then go banck to regular playing so quickly.

EXACTLY!
It pisses me off. Stupid n00bs know nothing! He used pinch harmonics loads-Hard Lines, Sunken Cheeks, Where You Come From, Floods, Revolution Is MyName, Drag The Waters.

He also used tapped Harmonics-Where You Come From, Pride (Damageplan)
Quote by MetalMilitia212

He Was Dimebag Darrell He could do whatever the **** he wanted!
RIP Brotha Dime
Empire Records one of the best films ever.
His name isnt Warren.
His name isnt Warren.
His name isnt Warren?
I thouht his name was Warren?

"slayer sabbath:
whats wrong with metal, has this website been taking over by power chording, girl pants wearing, emos?"