So basically I'm in the market to purchasing a used JCM800.

I've found two that I like.

The first one is 1989 Marshall JCM800 2210. It was recently retubed with MESA brand El34s. This one is the Dual Channel
It is in very VERY new looking condition, and costs $1200

The second is 1985 Marshall JCM800. Single Channel it is slightly worn, and has TAN cloth
This is also 100W, and it also has EL34s tubes put in one year ago
This comes with a Angled Cabinet of 4 Celestion Speakers, of which the Brand I unfortonately do not know. He says the speakers are same of those loaded on Crate Blue Voodoo Cabs.

I am trying to replicate "yngwie" tone, also hard rock'ish tone.

I don't know which one to buy, I cannot try either of them. I am favoring the second, as it comes with CAB, but maybe the first one is beter because of new tubes and dual channel?

I am n00b to these amps, as I have only used POD XT Live prior to this.

Any advice appreciated.
thanks
Hmm, I'd say get the 2 channel JCM800 (it'll be more useful to you) and buy a used Marshall 1960 or something, although that'd cost you more.

Edit: Have you even tried a JCM800?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
The first one, dual channel 100w

The second one, Single Channel, very old (1985), tan cloth
wow, thanks for quick response.

Is it really worth it?

I thought that the dual channel is less favored above single, for single has superior tone? or is that just rumor

have never tried one.. basically I've been useing modeling amps and been saving up for a nice Marshall, and JCM800 I heard was very good

both costs $1200
Last edited by zenjirou at Aug 20, 2006,
Hmm, well I'm gonna have to suggest that you try them both to form your own opinion, you can't always trust others and people on the internet and so on, this is if you can find them.

The only reason I'm suggesting you get the 2 channel JCM800 is that you'll be able to use overdrive at low volumes without having to use a pedal or cranking the amp full volume to get overdrive, it's all personal preference really.
Don't be afraid to care"

I am planning on using a OD Pedal. is it true that dual channel has inferior tone than its single channel counterpart? or is it just very subtle difference.
I'm guessing it won't sound exactly like a 1 channel JCM800 cranked, because the power amp valves aren't being completely overdriven, but the pre amp valves are(on the 2nd channel on the 2 channel version), so it'll sound different. Although you probably could crank the 2 channel version's clean channel, but that defeats the purpose of a 2nd channel.

But with a single channel JCM800, if you're not cranking it, it won't sound completely different to a 2 channel one as you're not getting loads of power amp overdrive, just overdriving the pre amp with the OD pedal.

Honestly, try them out if you can, everything will be a lot clearer to you.
Don't be afraid to care"