I was wondering what this is called:

When you're strumming, but keep stopping the notes with your palm?

And example I can think of is: The Kooks - Ooh La.

Yamaha Pacifica 012 Natural
Martin 00CXAE Electro Acoustic
Muted strumming?

Or chicken scratching
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
It's just muting isn't it?
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Quote by conceptne
palm muting, you bunch of dimwits. jesus H christ

I don't think thats what he's talking about. I think he means when you mute the strings with your fretted hand so all the notes are dead and then you strum.
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

I thought he meant slapping the strings...

Realistically, you don't actually use your PALM to palm mute, it's more like, the side of your hand.

If you're doing what I think your talking about (using your left hand to stop the sound when appropriate) then I don't think it has a common name, at least I haven't heard it. I do it quite regularily, even for soloing and stuff. It can be horribly useful throughout your playing.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Quote by Revalk
If you're doing what I think your talking about (using your left hand to stop the sound when appropriate) then I don't think it has a common name, at least I haven't heard it. I do it quite regularily, even for soloing and stuff. It can be horribly useful throughout your playing.

I call that muting, or hitting a "dead note" (I think that's what it's called).

But I also call tapping/hitting the strings around the pick ups with your strumming hand muting.

Now that I think of it, some people just call it left hand muting, or yeah, dead notes can be a common term, but "dead notes" is used for way too many things that it can be confusing, like just not hitting a note properly, or palm muting, or a lot of things.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

I believe I know what your talking about- Claudio does it in the Faint of Hearts... I don't think it has a common name. Sorry dude.
Quote by soccermom
Of course eating unbelievable amounts of anything can probably harm you, but i chose bananas because they look like willies.
Doesn't he mean apreggios?

Don't think so.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

Well I'd just use the word muting

I believe some people call it Chicken Scratching?

Iunno.

Quote by bluehawk15620
its called raking and u pronounce that like rake-ing

That sounds about right

no he means he strums the chord then immediately mutes it with his right hand ie in ooh la by the kooks, so uhit a chord then stop it with your right hand after a certain small time interval
^ And that's called muting

WOW. Stop talking some of you. He's strumming the chord then stopping it from ringing with his PICKING hand. I'm sure there's some word or phrase for the style but I don't know what it is. But it's definently NOT palm muting, raking, chicken scratching, arpeggios, or any of the garbage spewed on this thread.

Bry
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Large Brownie Batter Blizzard with chunks of brownie. *Dairy product orgasm*

Yes, i'm fat
^Harsh. We just didn't know what he was talking about is all. Wow. Garbage? Thats a bit too much man.

Quote by S0ulja23
^Harsh. We just didn't know what he was talking about is all. Wow. Garbage? Thats a bit too much man.

Not trying to be personal, it's just there's nothing I can't stand more than misinformation. This is a less severe case, I understand, but that's how it starts. I'm just trying to make sure people learn the correct way. If he had believe this was called 'palm muting' for example, what happens when he sees it later in a tab? He's going to play it incorrectly, it obviously won't sound right, and when talking guitar with friends etc he'll sound like a fool. Worst case someone teachs bad technique that will hinder one's playing ability in the long term. Sorry for being so harsh, again it wasn't personal, just trying to establish the correct information.

Bry
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Large Brownie Batter Blizzard with chunks of brownie. *Dairy product orgasm*

Yes, i'm fat
Hi, sorry I haven't replied...I've been really busy.

For anyone that cares now, yeah I didn't really mean to say palm. More the side of your hand. But as no one really knows what it's called anyway, it doesn't really matter!

Was just interested, thanks.
Yamaha Pacifica 012 Natural
Martin 00CXAE Electro Acoustic