I am pretty new to acoustic guitars.. Can you lower the action on an acoustic guitar?

My Stuff
The good
Ibanez RG550
Laney GH50L (Head)
Laney 4x12 TT (Cab)
Jim Dunlop Wah-Wah
Boss ME-8 Multi Effects
Marshall Blues Breaker
The Okay
H/H 100 Watt Combo 1975
Ibanez GRX 420
The Ugly
Marshall 15 Watt MG
Strat Copy
you can but it wont be easy to reverse. You could sand down the saddle or cut into the nut
*Blah blah blah my soul to take*
okay thanks, just the action is like 3/4 of an inch off the fret board ..

and my rg 550 is like a few mm's
My Stuff
The good
Ibanez RG550
Laney GH50L (Head)
Laney 4x12 TT (Cab)
Jim Dunlop Wah-Wah
Boss ME-8 Multi Effects
Marshall Blues Breaker
The Okay
H/H 100 Watt Combo 1975
Ibanez GRX 420
The Ugly
Marshall 15 Watt MG
Strat Copy
take the strings off and the saddle should just lift out with some pliers, then sand it down a bit a put it back in.. its not hard to do.. just dont adjust the truss rod to try to lower the action
Why shouldent someone adjust the truss rod? People allways say to do that. and what it the Truss rod for?
People not always say this. Only those who misunderstood their luthier do. They noticed the action of their guitar changed over time, went to the shop and heard the luthier mutter something about adjusting the truss rod and came to think this is the way one dials in a desired action. Not true. A truss rod is ment to counteract the pull of the strings, so the neck can be kept spindly and easy to wrap your fingers around. To accomodate for different string gauches and to counteract creep (steel loosing tension over time) the truss rod is made adjustable.
If the neck curvature is alright (having a slight concavity) the truss rod should not be adjusted, no matter how far off your action is.
As said, action is lowered by sanding off the bottom of the bridge piece. However, 3/4th of an Inch is so ludicrously high I'd say you are either exaggarating or there is something seriously wrong with your guitar.
so if the nut isn't a problem with the action, the only way to lower it is sand down the bridge piece? if so, i'm mad.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Hey UnsignedRecords; how was your vacation?
Obviously your guitar didn't heal itself during your absense. Pity.
Maybe we can help you if you first get your measurement right, so we know what you're talking about.
Take a sliding measure and see what the distance is between the top of the fat E string and the fretboard right next to the 12th fret. I'm pretty sure this isn't 3/4". High action means something like 5mm or a bit more or less. Low action goes down from around 3,5mm, which means that 4mm is a nice value fitting most styles of playing.
If you don't have a sliding measure, a set of feeler gauches can show you the distance between the top of the 12th fret and the underside of the string. Just give us the straight numbers and tell how you obtained them and someone will give you a straight answer. Gross estimations won't do.
We'll hear from you.
vacation? i didn't go anywhere haah. and my guitar's action isn't 3/4" high if you were referring to me. i agree that that is ridiculously high as well for any guitar. i was just wondering of any other alternatives to lowering the action without sanding down the bridge.

i'm not ixion by the way. i'm me.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Sorry UnsignedRecords. I mistook you for the threadstarter.
The answer to your question is no, basically, apart from replacing the bridge piece alltogether. It's not really a big deal though, but then I must say that skimming off the bridge piece should always be done as the last stage of a complete setup. This involves (in this and no other order) fitting the right gauche strings, adjusting the neck curvature, setting the low down intonation by shaping the top nut, checking the high up intonation and then finally, reshaping the bridge piece. Sanding off a bridge piece won't make you mad; approaching technical matters in an unsystematical fashion will.

Here's what I posted a few days ago about skimming off bridge pieces
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6595758#post6595758
ah it's alright. no offense taken. thanks for that though, i'm not too good at having to read directions and i'm also not crafty. but perhaps i'll find someone who can do these kinds of things.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.