Page 1 of 2
So, Im really more of a hard rocker than a punk, but Ive always listened to a little old school punk stuff (ramones, the clash), but recently I started listening to the sex pistols and I really liked them. The problem really is that every one of their albums has only a few songs that arent on the others, so are there any other good bands who sound really similar?
Is it possible that you're only buying greatest hits albums? If you get regular albums you'll end up getting more material.
brnh.bandcamp.com
Quote by I_Pwn
Is it possible that you're only buying greatest hits albums? If you get regular albums you'll end up getting more material.

I have Never Mind The Bullocks Heres The Sex Pistols and all the other sex pistols Ive seen have maybe only three songs that werent on there. Why, do you know any with a lot of differant stuff on it?
Quote by sjada
I have Never Mind The Bullocks Heres The Sex Pistols and all the other sex pistols Ive seen have maybe only three songs that werent on there. Why, do you know any with a lot of differant stuff on it?

Are as far as The Sex Pistols go theres not much out there. For bands like The Ramones and The Clash there's tons.
brnh.bandcamp.com
Get the Dead Boys Young, Loud and Snotty record, The Stooges Fun House and The Stooges, and the first New York Dolls record.
Quote by pinheadslts75
first New York Dolls record.

No matter what anybody says the new album is really good. It's different, but definately worth they buy.
brnh.bandcamp.com
Quote by pinheadslts75
Get the Dead Boys Young, Loud and Snotty record, The Stooges Fun House and The Stooges, and the first New York Dolls record.

seconded. i also second Damned Damned Damned by the Damned.
Look up "77"

Dead Boys
Stooges
Damned
Clash's first album
Sham 69

Before I was into punk I also thought AC/DC and the Sex Pistols sounded alike...
Last edited by the glue man at Aug 21, 2006,
Buzzcocks are definately worth a listen. I've heard a few Johnny Thunders and the heartbreakers songs, they are kind of similar. Steve owes a lot of his guitar style to Johnny Thunders, so definately get a NY Dolls album.
See if you can get your hands on "the punk rock movie" it has a lot of performances from a lot of punk groups, it'll definately give you some ideas
You could also try going to the roots of the sex pistols, which includes reggae, uk glam, rockabilly, and all that. For uk glam try getting Mott the Hoople, maybe some of bowies earlier stuff. Pretty much any reggae, and you could branch rockabilly into psychobilly, but get some Eddy Cochran, sid loved him.

Also sid has an album with 2 titles (sid sings / vicious: too fast to live) that is mostly pistols stuff and coveres but is pretty good.

But definately get something by the slits, buzzcocks, the damned, new york dolls, probably the dead boys as well.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
Hollywood Brats
Wayne/Jayne County
Idols
Urban Dogs
The Australian band "X"
The L.A. band "X"
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
Last edited by johnnynemo at Aug 21, 2006,
Johnny Thunders
Dead Boys
Menace
CockSparrer
Cockney Rejects
the Damned
Expand your horizons. Bands like Bad Brains might turn you on. If it's not melodic enough and you need that nihilistic sneer, try late 80's/early 90's Seattle stuff like Mudhoney.
If you like the Pistols then check out The Adolescents (their first album). Great punk band, and Tony sounded a bit like J. Rotten.
Also, look for P.I.L. (Public Image LTD), the band that Rotten found after the Pistols.
"That What Is Not" is a really good album.
Something interesting should be written here....
Very early NOFX has a very Pistols feel to it, albums like Maximum RocknRoll, Liberal Animation, and Heavy Petting Zoo.
Very Early NOFX has a crappy feel to it and sounds nothing like the Pistols.

The only L.A. bands that did the Chuck Berry/ Keith Richards/Johnny Thunders-esque pentatonic punk like the Pistols did, was X and the Berlin Brats.
The Brats sound alot more like The Rolling Stones, however.

If the pentatonics is what you're after, there's always the Damned's "Neat, Neat, Neat" and Eddie and The Hot Rods songs "Teenage Depression" and their cover of "Get Out Of Denver".
Hot Rods song "Quit This Town" is also really good.

Here's a Portland, Oregon band called Count Vertigo that I think you will REALLY like.
The song "X Patriots" uses the intro to "God Save The Queen" throughout the song and the lyrics are great.

http://www.somethingilearned.com/2006/08/count-vertigo

You might also wanna check out some Cockney Rejects stuff.
The songs "Greatest Cockney Ripoff", "Teenage Fantasy", "On The Run" and "Power And The Glory" all contain elements that they ripped off from the Sex Pistols and the Professionals (Steve and Paul's band after the Sex Pistols).
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

Last edited by johnnynemo at Aug 25, 2006,
Quote by johnnynemo
Very Early NOFX has a crappy feel to it and sounds nothing like the Pistols.

The only L.A. bands that did the Chuck Berry/ Keith Richards/Johnny Thunders-esque pentatonic punk like the Pistols did, was X and the Berlin Brats.
The Brats sound alot more like The Rolling Stones, however.

I listened to the tracks on that piece of sh*t before you were born, bucket boy.

It was sh*te then and it's sh*te now.
And it doesn't sound anything like the Sex Pistols.

Maybe you should take the bucket off your head.
It's affecting your hearing.
Quote by sargasm

Quote by johnnynemo
I listened to the tracks on that piece of sh*t before you were born, bucket boy.

It was sh*te then and it's sh*te now.
And it doesn't sound anything like the Sex Pistols.

Maybe you should take the bucket off your head.
It's affecting your hearing.

pwned.
Quote by ss311
pwned.

Yeah that really got me. I should definitely remove my Bucket in the presence of he who knows exactly what everything sounds like such that no one else can have a different opinion.

Oh, and also, Maximum RocknRoll came out in 1992, which would be, oh, I don't know, two years after I was born. So I'm glad you have a time machine.
Quote by BucketheadRules
Yeah that really got me. I should definitely remove my Bucket in the presence of he who knows exactly what everything sounds like such that no one else can have a different opinion.

Oh, and also, Maximum RocknRoll came out in 1992, which would be, oh, I don't know, two years after I was born. So I'm glad you have a time machine.

Now I get to make fun of you for being stupid.
This will be fun...

Some of the tracks on Maximum Rock And Roll, such as "Mom's Rule", "On My Mind", "Dain Bramage", "Sh*tting Bricks" and a few others, were from their "So What If We're on Mystic" EP, which was released in 1986.

That's 4 years before you were born, genius.

In fact, some of the tracks were written in 1984, which is 6 before you were born.

I recall that me and some of my friends listened to the Mystic EP at a record store when it came out and we laughed our a$$es off at what pathetic Descendents wanna-bes Fat Mike and his crew of losers were.

Early NOFX sounds like: Descendents, NOT the Sex Pistols.
Although that's not really fair to the Descendents, because they never really sucked like NOFX did/do.

Maybe you should stick to listening to crap like Buckethead and leave the punk to those of us who know what we're talking about.
Quote by sargasm

Quote by TheAdict310
I almost bought their new cd today.

They are one of my favorites, duane peters is ****ing awsome on stage.
Quote by johnnynemo
Now I get to make fun of you for being stupid.
This will be fun...

Some of the tracks on Maximum Rock And Roll, such as "Mom's Rule", "On My Mind", "Dain Bramage", "Sh*tting Bricks" and a few others, were from their "So What If We're on Mystic" EP, which was released in 1986.

That's 4 years before you were born, genius.

In fact, some of the tracks were written in 1984, which is 6 before you were born.

I recall that me and some of my friends listened to the Mystic EP at a record store when it came out and we laughed our a$$es off at what pathetic Descendents wanna-bes Fat Mike and his crew of losers were.

Early NOFX sounds like: Descendents, NOT the Sex Pistols.
Although that's not really fair to the Descendents, because they never really sucked like NOFX did/do.

Maybe you should stick to listening to crap like Buckethead and leave the punk to those of us who know what we're talking about.

Wow, you're absolutely right. I'm sorry.
pld nemo
Cos im an alcoholic,
And I just love the kick,
Im dribblin my words, got a glazy stare,
Cos im addicted to BEER!
I didn't like the Maximum RocknRoll that much, i think Pimp up the volum is better.
And Sex Pistols with Never mind the Bollocks, nothing can compare.
Even the most tired river finds it' s way out to sea
KURT COBAIN.
Isn't really anything that sounds like Sex Pistols, voice is kinda distinctive. They had big influence on bands that came later though so just go for 77-82 stuff. NYDs might be one of their influences, but they don't sound much like them at all, really.
Page 1 of 2