Anyway, I was just wondering if you could help me get rid of the tension in my forearm. Not my hand or shoulder, my forearm.

Yeah, whenever I play anything fast or technical, the tendons in my left forearm tense up almost to pain.

Anyone know what I might be doing wrong?
try slow down a bit and learn to relax and learn do this movements without this tension
it just might not be used to the stress that playing something technical induces...or u might have carpel tunnel...might wanna get it checked out.
I got that for a long time when I built of my tremelo picking speed and things like that. I however, was silly, and just continued to play despite the minor pain. You'll find this leaves your arm hurting for a day or two, and isn't too cool. Mostly, just practice until it starts to hurt, and then give it a rest, or play something where you can relax your arm while playing. Technical stuff often leaves you all tensed up, which is usually what causes the pain. Eventually after practicing that kind of thing after awhile your arm gets used to it, and you naturally become more relaxed, and yeah, it wont hurt much.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Quote by Revalk
I got that for a long time when I built of my tremelo picking speed and things like that. I however, was silly, and just continued to play despite the minor pain. You'll find this leaves your arm hurting for a day or two, and isn't too cool. Mostly, just practice until it starts to hurt, and then give it a rest, or play something where you can relax your arm while playing. Technical stuff often leaves you all tensed up, which is usually what causes the pain. Eventually after practicing that kind of thing after awhile your arm gets used to it, and you naturally become more relaxed, and yeah, it wont hurt much.

ok, good. That's what I'm doing.
Just keep it up. It'll wear itself out eventually.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
perhaps your picking motion is what's causing the tension

if you're using translation (like most guitarists) you're moving your wrist from side to side, like a chopping movement...it's been proven that attempting to play at any speed over about 12nps using this method will create tension and cause your forearm to tense up

if you're using rotation, the same problem will occur which will turn your motion into translation

oscillation would be the most tension-free picking movement which would allow you to reach speeds up to 20+ nps without excess tension...of course, just because you change your picking motion doesn't mean you'll become a speed demon overnight, it takes practice

if you don't know what any of these are, look in here

also, make sure that you're not anchoring; this can create excess tension in the wrist and forearm, and this can create problems later on

try not to make a big deal and split hairs about your picking motion, try to use one that feels natural and where you can achieve a steady, controlled, and tension-free picking motion...it doesn't matter which one you use, as long as it's natural and relaxed
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
I just started playing quitar this year and started to have similar problems. I did a little poking around on the internet and found this article with some useful links in it...
http://guitar.about.com/od/beginners/a/rsi_guitar.htm
In particular the stretching information has been good for me. But I also work with computers and play too many video games so I'm a prime candidate for tendon problems in my arms. I've seen a doctor about it recently and am going to a neurologist for some tests to be safe. My wife had similar problems a few years ago and ignored it too long, now she has permanent damage to her nerves and tendons. Don't brush it off, go see a doctor.