hey guys... hear me out b4 answering this.... i just bought a ibanez les paul body and neck from my friend who i trust... and its intersing cuz its the same model as the one i already have... except the one i bought off him is a plywood body. The neck on the one i currently play is warped so i was thinking just switch necks, but the neck i bought off my friend is cracked which is fixable except i would need to put wood filler in there and then strip and re-paint it... which would be impossible because its a burst. so i origanlly wanted to just leave the one i own and overhaul the one i bought... is ply wood REALLY that bad? my friend told me he has other lawsuit guitars made of plywood that sound great... but ive heard so many bad things about plywood and i really dont know what to do
Quote by sk8erguy171
is ply wood REALLY that bad?

YES!

But seriously, tonewise, building a guitar out of plywood, is like using your kitchen caserolls as drums. In other words, BAD.
The harder and denser the wood, the better the tone, IMO. Ply wood is made out of several sheets of some kind wood (cheap, light, which I am not sure what name is), and glued together. I have not tried a ply-guitar myself, but I would image the tone would be rather poor.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
'Better' tone is subjective. Hard & dense could describe maple (which is a pretty bad solid body wood to use) or hard ash. Some people like mahogany, which is soft & dense. 'Tone' is made up of weight, species, & density.

Anyways, plywood isn't exactly a 'tone wood' to speak. Plywood can generally be made up of douglas fir, spruce, pine & fur (softwood plywood) or birch, maple, nato, red oak ((top wood veneer) hardwood plywood). Generally speaking they're laminated & glued with Bakelite & done in mulitiple layers. Because of the varying wood characteristics & glue, it's not a popular choice. Sticking with solid hardwoods is probaly best for your tone.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
I bow down to the great knowledge of the AlgeeEater
He knows more about this than what I do. I have just been told, heard and read that plywood is not a desirable wood to use on a guitar.
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
Oh it's not a very desirable tone wood to acquire.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
what should i do? i was thinking maybe take advantage of the fact that the ply body is in perfect condintion and shape that i want... maybe i could buy some good tone wood and use the ply body as a template and a reference? what do u think of that idea? and where is sume good cheap tone wood? thanx a lot
Again, I'm not the most knowledgable (sp?) person when it comes to guitar wood, but what I've seen on 'good' guitars have usually been alder, mahogany, maple (although mostly on necks, not bodys) and basswood. (not too sure about the last one though). So I'm no expert.
But yes, you could use that piece of ply you have as a template, if it has the right shape and the right routings you want.
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH