Page 1 of 2
I've only been playing for 3 months but I find it much easier and much funner to play my own music and play my own lead stuff than it is to try to play other people's music.

For me, trying to play other people's music has been more about learning how stuff works and how to do it correctly since there's a template.. but I think I'll only advance if I create my own music. Anyone agree?
no offence.. but if you've been playing for 3 months you can't have written anything mindblowing on guitar. If people only play other people's music it's because they don't write music.

on the other hand i heard U2 started writing their own music because they weren't good enough to play other songs.
Quote by Cobalt Blue
no offence.. but if you've been playing for 3 months you can't have written anything mindblowing on guitar. If people only play other people's music it's because they don't write music.

on the other hand i heard U2 started writing their own music because they weren't good enough to play other songs.

Using that logic, you must be incapable of writing any good music because you can't spell offense.
GEAR:
Fender USA Lefty Telecaster
Custom HSS Lefty Strat
Samick Hollow-body
BOSS DS-1
BOSS SD-1
BOSS CE-4
BOSS DD-6
USA Big Muff PI
Peavey MACE 160w Head
Peavey MACE 410 Cabinet
Yamaha FG-450S-L
Eleca DAG3LN Lefty Acoustic
Quote by Cobalt Blue

yeah but u2 is awesome
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Writing your own music is one of the best ways to improve your concept of music theory and to improve your playing in general. However, nothing keeps more guitarists passionate about guitar-playing than learning to play their favorite songs. So in answer to your question, no way do people play other people's music too much. They do it because they enjoy it and if they enjoy they will keep playing for years and keep getting better. Also, playing other songs is a great way to get ideas for your own songs.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Quote by rockxwl
Writing your own music is one of the best ways to improve your concept of music theory and to improve your playing in general. However, nothing keeps more guitarists passionate about guitar-playing than learning to play their favorite songs. So in answer to your question, no way do people play other people's music too much. They do it because they enjoy it and if they enjoy they will keep playing for years and keep getting better. Also, playing other songs is a great way to get ideas for your own songs.

I Agree
Quote by Cobalt Blue

Who ever said I wrote anything mind blowing?
Quote by rockxwl

I'm referring to the people who ONLY ONLY play other people's music and that's it.. they never want to improvise or get into guitar other than what's already set in stone
Yes playing other peoples music is gay unless it's cool metal, like atreyu!!!! and shredding is not gay!!!!! dude Fallout gay is gay!
Quote by AngryGuitarist
Yes playing other peoples music is gay unless it's cool metal, like atreyu!!!! and shredding is not gay!!!!! dude Fallout gay is gay!

yes I agree falloutboy is gay as **** too
Quote by Salted_Peanuts
Shredding is NOT GAY!!! I am assuming you don't like metal so--------METAL IS THE BEST

Shyeah.

The best at being gay.

People play what they want. If they want to play songs that they like, why is there a problem?
If they want to try writing their own stuff, why is that so special?
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
First of all, shredding is not gay, anyone saying it's gay is propably cause they're gay themselves.

And I don't ****ing see what the big deal is, if people want to only play covers let them, what does it matter to you?
ESP and Jackson Fanboy
Quote by UnDead_Knight1
First of all, shredding is not gay, anyone saying it's gay is propably cause they're gay themselves.

And I don't ****ing see what the big deal is, if people want to only play covers let them, what does it matter to you?

Wow, way to be a downer for this thread
i like playing other peoples music just cause its fun to learn other things... i mean if you play and write your own music all the time (especially with 3 months experience) your not going to learn all that much
I stopped learning other peoples songs awhile ago, and I have only been playing for 2 and a half years. It's just more rewarding I suppose when you make something that you like just as much as some of the songs you love by other people.
Please help me by reviewing my lyrics
From the "Rules, FAQ, & Who to Listen to List" Sticky at the top of the forums:

11: Musical tastes: The Instrument forums are not for discussing musical preferences or to bash other people?s musical tastes.

*Reported*

Have a nice day.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
wow

how much of a stick in the mud can you be?

first of all, what kinda person goes around acting like a moderator? why would you even care?

second, this isn't about discussing preferences or bashing them.

It's discussing whether or not it's bad that people JUST play other people's music.

seriously, what a stick in the mud
You don't report threads, you report posts in a thread.

Your thread is fine.

"______ is gay" has nothing to do with your thread.

Hence, reportage.

Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
You don't report threads, you report posts in a thread.

Your thread is fine.

"______ is gay" has nothing to do with your thread.

Hence, reportage.

that's my signature smart guy
Last edited by amazingdm at Aug 20, 2006,
Quote by amazingdm
that's my signature smart guy

I'm well aware. It still has nothing to do with your thread.

(AKA I DIDN'T REPORT YOU).

It bothers me because I don't want to click on a thread about one subject and then have to sift through a whole bunch of posts talking about how lame shredding is or how much they hate fallout boy.
Quote by utsapp89
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Aug 20, 2006,
Quote by FacingUsAll
I'm well aware. It still has nothing to do with your thread.

(AKA I DIDN'T REPORT YOU).

I never said it did

the other people are having issues with it, notice I didn't even acknowledge them though

what you're saying is you reported the other people who were going offtopic on the thread because of my sig? I see now..
Quote by amazingdm
what you're saying is you reported the other people who were going offtopic on the thread because of my sig? I see now..

Yes .

And to finally be ontopic after all that...

Some people can play really well but can't write a song to save their life.

Some people can write all day long but suck ass at playing guitar.

Most people are somewhere in between.

I find the random cover song that bands do rather entertaining, but I'm not a huge fan of going to go see full-fledged cover bands play.
Quote by utsapp89
hey I like covers too.. like I said it's great for learning via templates..
but it seems so much more, open when you're just improvising.

If people practiced with their own mind as much as they do other songs, they probably would improve faster right?

I think when I'm learning a song someone else wrote, I have to play along a pattern and that adds extra steps in the mental path which impedes my speed training from switching chords/playing notes etc.. but when I'm playing by myself it's much more instinctive..

will this in turn make me faster and able to play other people's songs faster?
Quote by Inertiaaa
Using that logic, you must be incapable of writing any good music because you can't spell offense.

actually, thats how they spell it in the UK. I think it would be a good idea to chill with your holier than thou attitude, because people here are trying to help you. Unless you're the Mozart of guitar, you HAVE NOT written anything anyone wants to listen to. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but you're going to need to learn some of the skills you need to write music by playing other peoples music.
Dickless.
Basically... Three months...

Unless you are blessed with incredible skills of musical intuition and memory, well, you really aren't writing music.
You're improvising music.
It's not the same thing.

People like to play songs. The fastest way to play songs is to play songs which already exist. It means you don't have to play through each section note by note until you find the next note that fits.

It may later inhibit you from playing other people's songs, particularly from tab.
Sometimes learning the patterns is all you can really do, y'know?
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
whoever said I was writing music?

and unless I didn't say this, I thought I said I was improvising music.
i do think people focus too much on learning other peoples songs. Interesting thread.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Quote by AvngdSvnfold
are you the same guy that put up that lame punk riff calling it your first?

no
i think that it is always important to know how to play other artists music because while you are just learning, everything u write will most likely be very simple so you will not be challenged enough to learn new skills and styles.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Earlier on you were moaning about people being negative in your thread but its a negative thread neway. Also you need to stop the whole im great thing. 3 months is nothing really.
Quote by darthbuttchin
Earlier on you were moaning about people being negative in your thread but its a negative thread neway. Also you need to stop the whole im great thing. 3 months is nothing really.

are people just ****in stupid?

I never said **** about me being great
Quote by AngryGuitarist
cool metal, like atreyu!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA no.

Back on topic, it is good to learn other peoples stuff so you can "borrow" from different artists and come up with a style of your own.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Quote by ScottishAngus
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA no.

Back on topic, it is good to learn other peoples stuff so you can "borrow" from different artists and come up with a style of your own.

Yes I've made it clear I think this is true too

but what about the people that just play other people's stuff?

Even I forgot the point I was trying to make.. oh well

I think it had to do with how if you play by your own mind you improve faster?
Think about why famous players are famous. If you cover something, make it your own, that is, put yourself into it. If you don't, what's the point? Repeating something someone else can do is redundant. Example: (Old School) Listen to Dylan play "All Along the Watchtower", then listen to Hendrix' version. Same song, totally different approaches. Ancient RHCP: covered Hank Williams. Rage's last cd is all covers, but they're still Rage. If you're going to cover a song, bring something new to the party, otherwise stay home.
Page 1 of 2