whats all this i hear about people saying not to use a distortion pedal on a tube amp? cant both work just fine? i mean, lots of people and lots of pro bands use tube amps, but with a distortion pedal and it sounds awesome? what would be the major differences between a distortion pedal----->tube amp and an overdrive pedal----->tube amp?
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Last edited by danzig-_- at Aug 20, 2006,
there isnt any. those people are lying. all that happens is that if your amp happens to be overdriving itself and you turn on the pedal you get a heavier overdrive/distortion.
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
Quote by Trapman870
there isnt any. those people are lying. all that happens is that if your amp happens to be overdriving itself and you turn on the pedal you get a heavier overdrive/distortion.

what? i dont want an overdriven amp, AND a pedal on top i mean, whats the differences between an overdrive pedal hooked up to a CLEAN tube amp, and a distortion pedal hooked up to a CLEAN tube amp
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Quote by pinkhaze29
I think overdrive pushes your amp and distortion is already in the pedal. I may be wrong though.

Yeah, and overdrive pedals will sound more natural.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by pinkhaze29
I think overdrive pushes your amp and distortion is already in the pedal. I may be wrong though.

those pedals dont do ne thing to your amp... it just modifies the electronic signal from the guitar. and as for the difference between distortion and overdrive... overdrive, is based on the same sort of sound that you would get by overdriving a valve amp.. hence the name. and well distortion is self explanitory.
An OD pedal is designed to Overdrive an already overdriven amp deeper and harder.
A distortion pedal is best used on the clean channel of your tube amp...if you have one.

Distortion pedals usually sound like crap and get tons of feedback and noise through the distortion channel of a tube amp. You have to back off the gain to like a 9/10 oclock position to get a usable sound. In that case get an Overdrive pedal which you can get more gain out of.
ohh ohh.. and modelling amps are not superior to valve amps. they just happen to have like 1000 built in effects. if you stand infront of a dual rec... and then a modelling amp. you will know what im talking about
well i know what overdrive is, but my question was will a distortion sound good on a tube amp....sorry but i cant really word it right....it wont lose any sound quality because its not overdrive? (ive really gotten the wrong idea about tube amps because someone told me that you need to use overdrive on a tube amp and that my DS-2 wont work. then i was in shock because i LOVE the tone of my DS-2 and i dont want to have to sell it for a overdrive pedal....ive never really liked overdrive when compared to distortion)
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Quote by danzig-_-
well i know what overdrive is, but my question was will a distortion sound good on a tube amp....sorry but i cant really word it right....it wont lose any sound quality because its not overdrive? (ive really gotten the wrong idea about tube amps because someone told me that you need to use overdrive on a tube amp and that my DS-2 wont work. then i was in shock because i LOVE the tone of my DS-2 and i dont want to have to sell it for a overdrive pedal....ive never really liked overdrive when compared to distortion)

who ever said that was talking ****e!!.. just make sure that when your not playing that you flick off your DS2 cus it will give some hellish feedback as you probably already know.. i use a GT8 through my DSL 401 and use all the distortion on that like and it sounds fine like. GT8 is great cus you dont get too much feed back n ****e
oh cool so i CAN use my ds2 on a tube amp....
i really was under the impression that overdrive and distortion pedals were exactly the same except distorion could only be used on SS and overdrive can only be used on tube....so thanks alot
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
nahh man.. no sweat. its not gonna blow up your amp or anything. somehow i dont think they would sell them if they could. lol
well they didnt tell me it would hurt the amp in anyway. i was told that a dist. pedal will sound absolutely sh!t on a tube amp, and that you need an overdrive because they are meant for tube
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
They probably told you that the Dist pedal would sound like crap through the dirty channel, which is true.

Through a clean channel it'll sound fine, but using a distortion pedal on a tube amp is like hooking up a 15 inch computer monitor to your 21 inch laptop.

In other words, it's downgrading. :P
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

^I wouldn't say that using a fuzz in a tube amp would be downgrading.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
^Well, there are always exceptions.

Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Yep. Using something like a DS-1 or MT-2 through a tube amp wouldn't work too well, but using something like a fuzz. Or another example is, as much as I love my Epi Valve Junior, it is a bit lacking in the Metal department, even with an overdrive, so I'm considering purchasing a Metal Muff.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Distortions won't make your tone sound as natural as an overdrive would through the amp, but distortions work with valve amps, don't let anyone make you think they don't.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by pinkhaze29

pretty much. you use an overdrive to boost the distortion that a tube amp already has, a distortion pedal has enough gain on its own (though it can also be used to boost, and some overdrives have plenty of gain on their own...)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
wow thanks everyone
youve really made it clear for me what overdrive is and such
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Many people likes the overdriven sound of a tube amp cranked way too high. A stompbox can't deliver that kind of tone unless it's really expensive.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?