Alright, well I know 4 positions of the minor pentatonic. And now I think its time to move on to another scale. Which other scales work great for rock music?

Thanks.
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
Alright fine. I never was a fan of the ionian mode of the major scale.. but maybe ill like a different mode...
Vox ad15vt
yamaha f-310p
Quote by The Iron Man
Alright fine. I never was a fan of the ionian mode of the major scale.. but maybe ill like a different mode...
Aeolian, Dorian, and Phrygian work for a lot of the heavier stuff.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Aeolian, Dorian, and Phrygian work for a lot of the heavier stuff.

Well I dont need stuff that heavy. I play in an alternative rock band. And I love to play classic rock.
Vox ad15vt
yamaha f-310p
you could learn the whole aeolian mode and the dorian mode to substitute for that. And possibly the phrygian mode for another minor substitution. As for classic rock the ionian mode is good because it has that happy, cheerful sound to it. learn all of them and you could apply them anywhere and not just for heavy rock.
Last edited by sjceran at Aug 20, 2006,
Aeolian is used all the time in classic rock. Santana uses it all the time, and it's used a bunch in the Hotel California leads.

The good thing about those modes is that instead of everything being Tone or Tone and a Half, you get to put in half steps that add A LOT more feel into your solo.

Another cool one to work in is Myxolydian
Quote by bangoodcharlote
It is spelled "Mixolydian."

D'oh! I had a feeling I had it spelled wrong
Learn a key all over the neck. A good place to start is C major. Then G major, Then D major.
Depending on the root you'll start on you can get alot of different sounds.

Cyberfret.com has a decent lesson on modes.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!