Ok I have this crate xt120r amp for about 4 years now. I never plugged it into an outside speaker set... Yesterday I plugged it into a powerhead using the external speakers port, then instead of using the speaker also, it permenantly bypassed the speakers to work with the external speaker port ONLY... I believe its something wrong with the board.

Anyone reading this have this problem?

So far I have tried calling crate, but they are feces eaters, and decided to not be working at 7 pm on a sunday(i really didn't expect them to be there).

BUT I DO need help.

Does anyone have any idea what happened... or have a possible solution?
If you aren't with the crew, you are against the crew... What the hell is the crew anyways...
Don't let your pants fall down in public.
Dont drink too much blood (you can get a stomach ulser (however its spelt).
Dont eat spam.
Last edited by mighty_axe_phil at Aug 20, 2006,
Huh? You plugged the amp into another amp, from the speaker output. That's your first problem.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
thats not a very good answer to many questions at once

Explain to me how that could permenantly damage my amp
If you aren't with the crew, you are against the crew... What the hell is the crew anyways...
Dont eat spam.
Last edited by mighty_axe_phil at Aug 21, 2006,
Any help related to past experiences or troubles that you have had before could be beneficial, or possible ways to repair it.
Dont eat spam.
Aww cmon, someone please help me out
Dont eat spam.
not exactly sure what you tried to do. You ran your "speaker out" on the Crate to just an external cab, or another actual poweramp? If you hooked it up to a speaker cab, I think some amps will automatically mute the internal speakers and just use the cab, not exactly sure about your crate. Does it work ok when you unplug the external cab?

If you tried to run a powered signal, like a "speaker out" into another amp, you could very well have fried stuff. You have to match the impedance load the head is expecting to see when you power a speaker cab, and you also never run a powered signal, that would normally be powering speakers, into the input of an amp.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Exactly what I did was, take the speaker output of my amp, and plugged it into the Input of the stage powerhead, which did bypass the speakers... which im guessing is a big no no... explain to me what that could mess up inside my amp in specefics if you can.
Dont eat spam.
well, it's usually a good idea to match your impedance on your head, with whatever speaker cab you use. With a tube amp, you can fry the transformer, since it can push more current than it was designed for.

With a transformerless SS amp, I don't know if it's as important however. I think no load acts as an infinite impedance, and I think another amps input might already be a very high impedance compared to speakers. You should confirm that with someone here like "power freak" however, I've never tried running a SS head without the correct impedance load. Power freak would know for sure if it will damage anything, and he responds pretty quickly to PM's.

An amp input is NEVER meant to see a high powered signal though. It takes your guitar passive or stompbox boosted input signal, shapes it with the preamp, and the sends it to the poweramp to be amplified and drive the speakers. That's like running 100W into your input jack, which is a big no no. You might have easily fried something interanlly on the stage powerhead that way.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
thanks for your help, ill look into it
Dont eat spam.