i realy need help on artificial harmonics i dont get them at all how do u create them
Press the search button.

Or go to the mystical cave and give a troll a little sumthin sumthin and he'll send you to the top of the mountain where a fat panda who plays guitar will tell the secrets. But as he's giving you the guitar lesson Zakk Wylde comes out of nowhere and cuts his head off with the Buzzsaw.
Well, you hold the pick, and when you hit the string, strike it so that right after the pick hits the string your finger does. It's kinda hard to put into words. Get the third Shred Masterclass video- Kris gives a good explanation there.
you can cheat with these as well. you don't need a thumb to do it a different way. find the taughtest part of your string (for my its near the bridge) and just nail that sucker. For your left hand (if you play right handed) rest your finger on the string and kind of do a hammer-on bend and you can make them sound decent. You need to have your bridge pickup selected and have a lot of gain or it will sound crappy or just won't happen at all. That's a cheaters way though..
i had trouble with these for along time too. i never really understood the explanations in any articles or anything so i kinda made up my own way:
1) find the "hot spots" somewhere above your pickups. slide your fingers around on the strings up there and when u hear a harmonic sound, that is a hot spot. there are usually three i think, a 3rd, 5th and a 7th. anyways finding these spots is the first step and remember where they are.
2) now this is the part i had trouble with. articles/lessons say to like brush these spots with your thumb as you pick them, but i never really got how to do that. so what i do is i actually take my index finger off of the pick, and hold my pick with my middle and thumb. then i put my index finger on the hot spot while fretting with my left hand, and pick. alot of vibrato usually helps for that Zakk Wylde sound if that is what u r going for. and alot of distortion really helps the harmonics to come out. good luck.
Quote by blsrocks
i had trouble with these for along time too. i never really understood the explanations in any articles or anything so i kinda made up my own way:
1) find the "hot spots" somewhere above your pickups. slide your fingers around on the strings up there and when u hear a harmonic sound, that is a hot spot. there are usually three i think, a 3rd, 5th and a 7th. anyways finding these spots is the first step and remember where they are.
2) now this is the part i had trouble with. articles/lessons say to like brush these spots with your thumb as you pick them, but i never really got how to do that. so what i do is i actually take my index finger off of the pick, and hold my pick with my middle and thumb. then i put my index finger on the hot spot while fretting with my left hand, and pick. alot of vibrato usually helps for that Zakk Wylde sound if that is what u r going for. and alot of distortion really helps the harmonics to come out. good luck.
i cant use a lot of distortion im trying to learn the you shook me all night long solo.
can u guys tell me some somgs with artificial harmonics in them cause im not even sure what im listening for.
Quote by Gigatiran
It's really not that hard... almost all women are sluts.

Quote by Twist of fate
do u rlly think a girl will come to school in the morning and interrupt ur conversation screaming "Hey i nailed my own poonaner last nite and came like a hurricane YEA BABII"
is it possible to do them with no distortion on humbuckers because i think i know how to do them but theyre VERY quiet (quieter than normal notes) and don't even seem all that high
what is the music theory and what does it teach you, like scales, solos, and to build speed???

Check out my recordings
anything by zakk wylde (black label society). they are the high pitch squealy things.
Quote by wyldedarko
Press the search button.

Or go to the mystical cave and give a troll a little sumthin sumthin and he'll send you to the top of the mountain where a fat panda who plays guitar will tell the secrets. But as he's giving you the guitar lesson Zakk Wylde comes out of nowhere and cuts his head off with the Buzzsaw.

haha that is so funny i am siging that
[highlight]MY GUITAR[/highlight]
Quote by TheAmaranth
I once broke a G-String while fingering an A minor.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your sig if you are one of the 8% who stayed with real music.
What are the ones where you play a not an then put your finger up an octave on the same string?
Quote by Faith No More
What are the ones where you play a not an then put your finger up an octave on the same string?

Natural harmonics.

Wait, aren't artificial harmonics when your fretting hand acts as the nut?

You guys are talking about pinch harmonics.

Tapping harmonics are when you hit a note, then lightly tap the string an octave up while the note is still ringing.
anyone have the link to that shred masterclass video with kris? post it here!
Quote by Muphin
Jupiter is a fat bitch. We should nuke it.

jersey girls arent trash ...trash gets picked up
staten island doesnt really exist its just a reflection of the fumes from jersey on the water caused by the movement of the sun
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
You guys are talking about pinch harmonics.

That's what I thought.

What I class as "artifical" harmonics are "natural" harmonics; I think I remember someone describing them as "chimes" - gives an idea to the sound.

Pinch harmonics are more of a squeal.

I just rest my finger over the fret (The actual fret, not the spaces in between); then pluck the string. Only resting the finger on lightly (I used to pull it off straight after, but can't be bothered anymore).

Places to try:

12th fret
19th fret
5th fret
7th fret

Those work best for me, obviously others work too (I have a n00b strat copy).
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Quote by CowboyUp
Well, you hold the pick, and when you hit the string, strike it so that right after the pick hits the string your finger does. It's kinda hard to put into words. Get the third Shred Masterclass video- Kris gives a good explanation there.

thats called a pinch harmonic.
Quote by gibsonbrothers
thats called a pinch harmonic.

Yeh Pinch harmonics and artificial harmonics are the same thing dumbass.
www.figureofhate.moonfruit.com Death metal from the Shire

"Give it some"
if you're really having trouble there's a way to do it without the "hotspots" easily. just cut your nails really short and pinch your picking hand index finger and thumb together. downpick any of the three highest strings perpendicular to it. you should get a harmonic easily this way.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Quote by napalm_monkey
Yeh Pinch harmonics and artificial harmonics are the same thing dumbass.

Yes... sort of. They are harmonics that are created artificially, yes. In the most technical sense of the word though, and this is I suppose debating semantics, artificial harmonics are where you fret the string and play a harmonic above it. For instance, fret the third fret G on the first string, and then play a harmonic at the 15th fret G using your right index finger and your thumb.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.