Hello there.

Names Steve
Its my first post On UG. (well on this account lost other ones pass )

I have had a question thats been in my mind for quite some time but how do you go around making your own riffs.

I been taking guitar SER. for about a year now practising for 6-8 hours every day and i am great at making lead parts expecially blue's and Heavy metal leads because i listen to alot of Metallica, and Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton.

The Only problume (lol i have many others) But one of my main problume's have to be is making Riffs?

I am really wanting to start a band but my band mates are not taking music as Seriously as i am which really sucks... So im trying to make some of my own riffs it's quite hard most of them sound like crap and out of place and just don't Fit well...(I wish i knew some musical theroy:P)

So my question is How to you go about doing it how do you create some riffs of your own that sound good

thanks.
A Loyal member forever...
Steve
Last edited by The_Man_IV at Aug 21, 2006,
i just pick up a guitar and improvise, just play random stuff, most of which just sounds like crap. and then a little riff comes out eventually. and i am like "whoa, that sounded neat" and hopefully i remember what i just played. my problem usually isnt the riffs but then forming a song around it. but good luck.
Stop learning other band's tabs', you'll eventually be able to make your own. Well, that's what one of my friends said. Also learn a scale. I'll teach you one right now! Lol.

e|----------------------------------5-6-8-----
B|------------------------------6-8-------------
G|-----------------------5-7-9-------------------
D|----------------5-7-9--------------------------
A|---------5-7-8-----------------------------------
E|--5-7-8------------------------------------------

Thats the C major scale.
^^^^I agree

Mess around with different time signatures too. Sometimes you get bogged down in the 4/4 mindset....and of every note following another being different too. I have been into doing alternate picking hitting notes multiple times in sequence to add textures to some simple melodies I like. Come to think of it, most of my riffs start out as simple melodies and a time signature. Then I just add and add until it grooves...
Quote by RedDeath9
Stop learning other band's tabs', you'll eventually be able to make your own. Well, that's what one of my friends said. Also learn a scale. I'll teach you one right now! Lol.

e|-------------------------------------------5-7-8-----
B|----------------------------------*5-6-8-------------
G|-------------------------5-7-*9-------------------
D|-----------------5-7-9--------------------------
*Same note, interchangable

Thats the C major scale.
Fixed that for ya!
I shall give this all a try.

But I agree with the RedDeath9 cause i know a hell of alot of Metallica and Even more of Eric Clapton and most of the time all there riffs come out in my playing which isnt good cause i want somehtign original not something someone else made :P

Well all Give it a shot wish me luck.
Quote by RedDeath9

e|----------------------------------5-7-8-----
B|------------------------------6-8-------------
G|-----------------------5-7-9-------------------
D|----------------5-7-9--------------------------

Thats the C major scale.

Actually thats A aeolian(minor).
Same notes but different root.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by RedDeath9
Oh whatever, I don't know THAT much about theory.

Well now you do
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by feltgrape
Actually thats A aeolian(minor).
Same notes but different root.
Actually it completely depends on the chord over which it is played. It's F Lydian if you play an F chord under that.
People overlook drums. Sometimes just the riff by itsself isn't so great until you add drums. Just saying. So don't throw out all ideas
Quote by No Seatbelt
People overlook drums. Sometimes just the riff by itsself isn't so great until you add drums. Just saying. So don't throw out all ideas
You should try to hear the drums in your head.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Actually it completely depends on the chord over which it is played. It's F Lydian if you play an F chord under that.

You can also play A minor over an F chord................
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by bangoodcharlote
But then you're playing F Lydian, whether you are aware of it or not.

And if he has no chords going over the scale?

It depends on the note you start on.
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Actually I just made something up using that scale, and for some reason it only sounded good when I ended it on an F note. Or is it just what I created that made it sound like that?
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Aug 21, 2006,
Quote by RedDeath9
Actually I just made something up using that scale, and for some reason it only sounded good when I ended it on an F note.

What note did you start on?
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

just play a bunch of power chords till you find something cool that suits your song, or if your bandmates aren't taking it seriously you should just find some new people to jam with.
i agree, what if your not playing a chord over it? your just playing by yourself, and there's no chord over it, your just kind of making a melody or solo or something, then does it depend on the note you start on?
yeah man, just try some scales. I was learning some today. I made a prety sweet riff out of it. I just get my guitarist to make the fills and stuff since I play bass and I'm not good at making fills.
MEMBER OF THE UGERS FOR AQUA TEEN HUNGER FORCE

Member Number 12 of the Iron Maiden are Gods Club. PM Revelations to Join

Sergeant Simmons of the KISS Army: UG Regiment PM Sloopy to join

Member of the "I Remember Old Nickelodeon Club"
Whenever I come up with something that sounds cool, its usually by accident. I'll be at work, or taking a shower, or drinking, and I'll just be singing to myself, "Bum jigga bum jigga ba ba bum jigga wika wika bum." And I'll be like, "Hey that might be cool. So I pick up my guitar and play it. If its cool, I'll be like, "Hey, thats cool," and remember it. Or I might be like, "Damn, that was a worse idea than the time I got drunk and stole a car."