Poll: is mutated out of his mind?
Poll Options
View poll results: is mutated out of his mind?
better start practicing "would you like fries with that?"
19 14%
I think mutated can do it
73 55%
I want one where do I sign?
41 31%
Voters: 133.
Page 1 of 3
well my custom solid body is nearing completion and my boss asked me where i wanted go after this...of course i said i want to make more. we discussed business strategies and he suggested i do a production run of 10 guitars. he said he'd supply all the wood or money for wood that he doesnt have in his inventory (a business loan in a way) and id build them and sell them through myself

my choice of guitar for production...the telecaster

it was one of the first production guitars and has remained, for the most part, unchanged in 60 years making it a perfect design to use.

all the guitars will be made from one template set...making them all identical in shape. a few things will differ from guitar to guitar such as neck profile, paint, inlays, body and neck wood, binding, body and or arm contouring, pickup routing, hardware holes but that will be up to the potential buyers.

assuming i get this project on the go i will try my best to keep an updated thread about the guitars.

the general specs will be:

- 25-1/2" scale
- bolt-on neck

NECK:
- dual action truss rod (neck joint access)
- 21 frets
- nitrocellulose, or tung oil finish

BODY:
- 2-piece
- nitrocellulose finish

now I will be selling these guitars... so PM me with any questions

the first 4-5 have already been accounted for one to myself (a guinea pig guitar to test the template) and others to musically inclined friends

i plan to begin the venture in september and hopefully complete all of the guitars before january. these guitar will be completed much faster than my current one due to their simplicity and because ill be making money from them...and money is good
Go ahead and do it. Teles are (relatively) easy. Or do a broadcaster with only one pickup, and age it real nice.
I'm back. No-one knew I left anyway. Do you even know who I am?
painted and fretted:
approx. $450 USD --> veneers and/or bindings will add to cost

full hardware (w/o pickups):
approx. $700 USD

full hardware (w/ pickups):
approx. $800-850 USD

somewhere in between squire and fender.

as many of the luthiers on the site know...parts alone can cost as much as a fully built squire but if i were buying 3000 guitars worth of parts of course i could build them for cheap.
Sounds like a great idea.

if you ever moved on to making basses I'd be definately interested.
haha
i have a friend who wants me to make him a P-bass. its going to be a pinstripe laminate body with 3/4" walnut and paduk veneer
the only rpbolem i see is the bolt on necks. imo- thats just your standard guitar, just made by you. i mean better wood probably- but i can get a schecter for 450 with a set neck and pups.

if they had a set neck or neck thru i could see them moving alot better- or at least have it an option
There's nothing wrong with a good bolt on... and it's a lot better to go with the first time 'round you're doing production.

Hey, Sadowsky makes some of the highest-quality stuff out there and they rock the Bolt On.
haha
Hey, I wouldn't be interested so much in a finished guitar, but how much would a body cost, with the innards routed out and a top put on, Thinline style?
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
The teli shape sounds like a good idea but I would suggest doing something special to each guitar to make it very much your own. The different neck profiles are a good start but I'd look into a few other things as well. I would definitaly do what tongue untied said and make them with thru necks. You can't seem get a good thru neck now days. Then I'd use unusual tonewoods. Mahogany for a teli is very unusual, and persinaly I have always wanted a thinline with a spalted maple top. You can use the same template but have 10 compleatly different guitars just because of material choices. You could also do something crazy like my your own bigsby style trem out of ebony. That is othothere thing that would make people interested.

If you didn't mind some slight modifications you could do some of them with a short scale or a long scale as well. You never see a 24 3/4" Teli and you never see 26" Teli's either both of which could come in very handy. The short scale for bbking style blues and the long for SRV style
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Aug 21, 2006,
i chose bolt on's due to their simplicity in production and like UpTheAss said, u can have a rock solid bolt on with just as much sustain as a set neck (i believe it was cord who did some set neck/ bolt on sustain comparisons). neck thru's i believe are better (i chose not to do neck thru's for production because i have never done one.... and i dont want to screw up 10 guitars... maybe after some flawless guitars ill tackle one)

as for keeping each guitar unique. that is my goal.

the first one...mine, is going to be a koa body with a birdseye maple neck. the top will be covered with black, crocodile embossed leather and will have a white binding. the back will be contoured and dyed black with a satin nitro finish and no grain filler. the neck will be dyed black and have a tung oil finish

the others will be up to the buyers i havent discussed anything with them other than that im going to build some tele's

i like the scale length idea...i can keep the body unchanged and only change the neck and bridge / pickup layout.

does anyone have the mathematic formula to find the harmonic points (or frets) beyond the fretboard so i can place the pickus in the right spot if i were to do a short scale or baritone scale

as for an infinished thinline i think between $200-300 USD depending on wood
Last edited by mutated_riff at Aug 21, 2006,
The only downside I can really see is the guitars not moving. How long do you project these will take you to build?
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
^Read the first post.

I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
well, bolt ons do not have the playabilty of set neck- hav eyou thought of doin some wort of neck heel like a schecter bolt on- or a AANJ type thing were the neck is set in with fureulles*sp* as to make it better to play?
haha well i know my current one has taken forever but the actual time i have spent on it is under 130 hours and will probably be finished in under 150...i think the tele's could be finshed in 60 hours or less each (inlays and bindings would make it a lot more). assuming i work on them for at least 15 hours a week (keep in mind im going to be working 36 hours a week and going to school 33 hours a week until january...then im done with school till sept '07) geez thats like quite a while haha like 40 weeks but maybe ill just stick with 5 for now...then do a different styled batch starting january...

and yeah in terms of the plate in the back yeah there are plenty of ways of doing it, all are possible...minus a neck thru...a set neck isnt totally out of the question either but i figured since the tele is a 60 year old design and it still has a back plate and people still play them, then they are a design that will sell
Last edited by mutated_riff at Aug 21, 2006,
what do u guys want in a telecaster?... what bugs you what can i improv? what wood would you guys wanna see these made from?
eh dont just do the useuall woods n styling n **** cuz if people wanted that theyd buy a fender. just think and make your **** original

and id probably like to see maybe 3 peice body with mahogany in the middle and quilted maple on the sides?

EDIT: i just realized i say **** too much
Guitars:
Custom les paul copy with sun inlay
Epiphone les paul custom with emg 81/85
Hondo 80's star shape(project)
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
mxr doubleshot distortion
amp:
Raven rg100
id like to see mohogany with a maple cap. translucent colors- and a flame or quilted maple top

lp tone in a tele, the best of both worlds

and im a fan of a bridge hum and standard neck pup

also- rear routed for a really clean look

a bigsby one would be nice

and a hollow body form- or at least a thinline type

binding is always nice

and wha ttype of headstock?
yeah i want to get the buyers to experiment with woods...thats y i want to use koa for mine mahogany is always a good one that you cant go wrong with. swamp ash instead of normal ash is one choice. i rarely see basswood teles. figured woods arent a bad idea but they obviously cost A LOT more...unless i use veneers. even if i used my friend's bass idea and did a walnut one with paduk pinstripes

i would love for there to be some dyed woods in there...but for mine i just wanted it black cuz i like black.....haha i have 2 of them already :P

thinlines are very possible especially if a laminated top is already put into consideration...custom soundholes.

bigsby are totally possible but the buyer needs to realize that its like 200 for chrome and 300 for gold.... all this **** costs money...but everyone wants it cheaper haha funny how that works

the headstock i wouldnt mind using a fender style headstock if the buyer wanted that but if it were up to me i'd redesign a new 6-inline headstock of my own

im also looking back at some of my original sketches i made for my first project and i designed this jazz styled tele...almost like a single cutaway jaguar/jazzmaster. a fresh new design could b an improvment....ill post some sketches tomorrow...im tired
k- im just tryint o put ideas in your head man- im totally down for this- but i feel that for this to even work, your gonna have to push the envolope a little

the first guitar are just to try it out i know- but get your name out with them- dont let them leave unless there perfect- and make them flashy. limit profit to keep the price down.

also- try to sell some to people who are in local bands, and influencing people- maybe talk to a local shop or 2 to buy them and keep them up for people to see.

they need to be good, but eye catching. i walk into a guitar store- and the things i see arent black guitars or red guitars- its guitars that are different. paint is blah- work on bursts and dye's- quilt tops always catch my eyes- as well as flame tops

the neck thing when i pick up a guitar is how it feels- it doest sit on my leg right, its just awkward

the 3rd is the action- if its high, its done- i put it back

4th is thge tone. if it doesnt sound good with the twist of a tone knob on any pup- then i dont want it no matter how nice it is

it would be a good idea to post questions liek that in the electric guitar forum to get a customer base and see what people look for

ya know?
Quote by mutated_riff
what do u guys want in a telecaster?... what bugs you what can i improv? what wood would you guys wanna see these made from?

I want that raunchy tone I get from the 45 degree angle of the bridge pickup.

I hate the teli neck shape. When I pick up a teli and try to play I sound like a drunk monkey trying to play guitar with chopsticks. So to me that would be a bug.

When I get around to building myself a teli I'm going to build it out of mahogany with a spalted maple to and a 26" scale. I'm also going to have a much more substantial headstock and a slightly wider and slightly thinner neck. I'm also going to add middle pickup so that it can be a bit more versital

I think the limited ability of the teli is it's only true flaw. Sure I hate the neck but thats all personal preferance. The 2 single coil pickups does limit the guitar a lot tho. Then when you add into the mix the fact that the bridge pickup is so twangy that limits the guitar even more. Add another pickup and get rid of some of the limitatins
^ i think a hum in the bridge helps alot

or dual hums on a push pull pot woudl work as well

and i love the tele neck, but i hate the heel- so restrictive.

um.......... thats it so far, well see as soon as i get my tele up
I want a tele-strat hybrid with a the huge CBS 70's headstocks. I think making a tele bodied guitar with strat neck and a range of pickup configurations would be awesome, although possibly a bit trickier to bring together. Check out fenders own custom shop tele/strat. This would give you a chance to stand out in my opinion.
Attachments:
9275000608_md.jpg
as kind of a side thought...

Don't make your prices too low. People equate price with quality. Your guitars will probably sell better if you price them to be competitive with the fender MIA teli's. If you charge much less than an MIA then people will think it must not be as good as an MIA. The people that are looking at squiers and MIM's are less likely to realize the importance of wood choice and the hand built touch. So by charging less than a MIA you reduce the number of people that would be interested in your guitars and make them so they will only be looked at by the minority.
Just one thing, you can't use the Tele headstock if you plan on selling these. The headstock is the only thing Fender cares about when it comes to copywrite stuff.

I say work w/ weird pups too, p90s soapbars upside down pups, maybe vertically stacked singles?
haha
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
^Read the first post.

I did, why don't you read the first post.

'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Last edited by AlGeeEater at Aug 22, 2006,
how are you going to market these?

the thing sounds like a great idea, but the only thing i see that can be a problem is, how are you going to get these out to the public? put them at work and say "for sale?" that would be my main concern.

but other than that, seems like a great idea.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
^ personally- id get a couple of shops to buy some, maybe at a a semi cheap price, and tell them to put them in there shop- and direct all customers who ar einterested to you. or maybe theyd just put them in there for free- i dont know, talk to some people

id also suggest talking to local musicians who gig alot- and loan a guitar to them for a show or 2, then people will want to know about them, and you give them some cards with contact info
Quote by AlGeeEater
I did, why don't you read the first post.

i plan to begin the venture in september and hopefully complete all of the guitars before january. these guitar will be completed much faster than my current one due to their simplicity and because ill be making money from them...and money is good

Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Good job, but I was asking how long each instrument would take to build, which we've already covered.

Chris
BTW, are you charging ANY labor for these?
thank you everybody for the suggestions... well ill try and cover everything:

as for marketing...400 ppl have looked at this thread in 1 day and 60,000 have seen my other guitar. after i finish my first one i plan on giving it to my bro's guitar store he works at as a demo model. the other three who want one built; one is my bro who talks to 100 musicians a day at work...the other 2 are in a band who has been gigging for close to 3 years ...and so on and so on.... i personally know 20+ people who play guitar and those people know other people who play guitar.

as for price...its a tough one when your first starting out. i learned a lot about pricing things such as artwork at school and guitars aren't that much different. you arent working with profits and production costs...your pricing a guitar based on how important it is to a musician's collection or sound. jazz musicians will pay $30,000 for a benedetto archtop because of how they sound. how much do u think the production costs are? ...that doesnt matter, its supply and demand... demand is high for those instruments but the supply is low. so for pricing im trying to keep myself cheaper than the "fenders" that way i can create a demand for a cheaper guitar that COULD sound better.

i take this all into consideration but at the same time i dont want to be losing money, if that were the case id rather keep them for myself.
wouldn't you?
ive talked to my dad about this kind of stuff. he says that the best thing you can do, is get someone famous (dont matter who, can be billie joe for all it matters) to play your guitar, and have him or her talk about it. this will get others wondering about your guitars, and thus, a higher demand for your guitars.

but in reality, that my not happen, so your next best thing is to lend out a guitar or two to people who have gigs. and let them gig with you guitar.
im just adding to what you have, to get the word out
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
haha my friends have already asked to gig with my guitar that im buildign now...and of course im gonna let them

one friend played the west coast leg of the warped tour

i just hope i get to play it first :P
man if anyones got the grapes to do this, it's you.
Good work Mutated. I'd be pretty interested, except I am not allowed to spend any more money on guitars. Ha.

As for idea, I say a lipstick'd tele would be cool.
Have a good one mate.
Steph
Blackstar HT 5
George Dennis Spitfire 2x10
LTD GL 200M
Agile Ghost III
Warmoth SSS Tele with Floyd Rose
Ibanez Artcore AM73
I <3 Arcade Fire, Rainbow, Dungen, Muse, Pink Floyd, Def Leppard, Kate Bush etc.
ROCK OPERA!!
UG Rock Opera tracks
i have grapes?

lipstick'd as in the neck pickup?

and about labour...if i make $0 on the guitar and word of mouth sells me 5 ill be extremely happy. if i make 3-5 dollars an hour on a guitar and word of mouth sells me even one, then i will have run a business. but i cant say how much i would make on a guitar w/o actually seling one. i think 10% of the final cost of a fully built guitar would b my profit but that money would b put into more tools and funds to build a bigger better guitar...so really its non profit....the only profit i think i will make is knowledge and credentials and both are priceless
Last edited by mutated_riff at Aug 22, 2006,
grapes: stones, figs, balls- Testicles.
:P
lipstick'd as in.... both mebbe?
Blackstar HT 5
George Dennis Spitfire 2x10
LTD GL 200M
Agile Ghost III
Warmoth SSS Tele with Floyd Rose
Ibanez Artcore AM73
I <3 Arcade Fire, Rainbow, Dungen, Muse, Pink Floyd, Def Leppard, Kate Bush etc.
ROCK OPERA!!
UG Rock Opera tracks
ah... never seen that before... would it even sound good? i guess you wont know till you try it. im sure someone has
well i talked to a potential buyer and TELE number 3 is a go.

so far the specs for the first 3 are

TELE #1 (for me)

-solid bookmatched sitka spruce
-slight brick red sunburst

-indian rosewood neck
-tung oil finish
-bolt on
-neck joint access dual action truss rod

-chrome hardware
-string thru hardtail
-sperzel tuners

-electronics
-volume
-push pull tone coil tap for bridge
-on/off switch
-3-way pickup selector

-pickups (Duncans)
-STR-3 quarter pounder (neck)
-SH-11 custom custom (bridge)

TELE #2 (for mitch)

-chambered ash body
-sitka spruce top
-no sound holes
-black pickguard

-birdseye maple neck
-one piece with walnut skunk stripe and truss rod plug
-traditional neck joint access truss rod
-abalone dots

-chrome hardware
-fender "standard vintage" bridge
-fender "standard vintage" tuners

-electronics
-volume
-tone
-3-way
-vintage wiring

-pickups (duncans)
-STR-2 (neck)
-STL-2 hot (bridge)

TELE #3 (for jeff)

-swamp ash body
-inlayed wood pickguard (wood undecided)
-pickup routs behind inlayed pickguard

-maple neck
-custom bolton neck plate
-rosewood fretboard
-inlayed wood dots (matching pickguard)

-hardware
-bigsby bridge

-electronics
-vintage wiring

-pickups
-undecided

i have 1 or 2 more people to talk to about having a custom tele made for them. but so far so good.

im gonna pick up some wood for these in then next few weeks.

Last edited by mutated_riff at Sep 9, 2006,
Page 1 of 3