Hey, I'm not sure if I'm up to par on my guitar skills right now. I've been playing for 1 and a half years. What do you think I should know?
keep playing, what tunes have you mastered so far? buy a few books, Troy Stetina's books are ment to be great and many guitar mags swear by them
Up to par with your guitar skills? So you've been playing for almost two years and you can shred like a cheesegrater? Wow.

I'd recommend practicing special techniques (assuming you don't know all of them alraedy), like pinched/tapped harmonics, sweeping, speed playing, string skipping, legato...you get the point. There's always more to learn.
There's no answer for that question, that depends of how much do you practice and the discipline you put on it. Never compare yourself with other guitarrist about your skills.
After 1½ years of guitar playing you should be able to play songs like Run to the Hills and improvise the solo at high speed 16th notes triplet legato etc. (C major/A Minor scale) and you should know at least one scale. You should also be able to play with your fingers and write songs on both acoustic and electric guitar. That's what I think and was able to after 1½ years. I play minimum 5 hours a day every day and so should you if you like to play.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Quote by El Cumanés
There's no answer for that question, that depends of how much do you practice and the discipline you put on it. Never compare yourself with other guitarrist about your skills.

Bingo.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
It depends how much you put into it. I've played for 12 years and people ask I tell them that and there like wow u must be amazing and my answer is to laugh and say no i aint that good. I can sweep a bit, Can play fastish, and know a few scales. I can play most of canon rock if that helps. But yeh I never have really sat down and thought im gonna be a great player practice practice practice. I only found out what alternate picking was last christmas. 2 weeks after hearing what it was i had it mastered at speed and ive improved 10 fold. I play for the enjoyment of playing and thats all anyone should play for. NEVER compare you self to anyone else. Enjoy what you do and thats it. have fun with it.
i've been plkaying 4 or 5 years and i suck fairly hard, but i still like playing

dont worry about where you are, worry about how much you like playing
"No one ? and I repeat, no one ? has ever died for a flag. See, a flag ... is just a piece of cloth. They may have died for freedom, which is also the freedom to burn the f*ckin' flag, see. That's freedom." - Bill Hicks
I know I love playing, but I also want to be good. I can do pinch harmonics pretty well, I can play medium speed solos, I think I'm an okay guitarist... can someone explain sweeping to me please =P
Quote by Muppet
After 1½ years of guitar playing you should be able to play songs like Run to the Hills and improvise the solo at high speed 16th notes triplet legato etc. (C major/A Minor scale) and you should know at least one scale. You should also be able to play with your fingers and write songs on both acoustic and electric guitar. That's what I think and was able to after 1½ years. I play minimum 5 hours a day every day and so should you if you like to play.

That's terrible advice.

SPEED IS NOT A MEASURE OF SKILL. Being able to write entire songs (good ones at that) is a matter of creativity, not skill. Playing with your fingers, on an acoustic, and on an electric guitar are three different realms of guitar playing. Alot of people will never touch an acoustic in their life but they'll be "good" at electric. Some great players can't play fingerstyle. On top of all of that, there is no relation between how long you practice and how much you like to play. That's an emotional and person part of music that you definitely can't put a statistic like "5 hours" on.
NotAJock's got it. I've known guys who could note for note Jeff Beck, but didn't have an original thought in their head. Some of the "sloppiest" players I've met write the best songs. Originality>Skill. Just keep playing, you'll find your niche.
I play for fun, and Ive never worked hard at guitar, to me just learning a good solo and practicing it on a metrenome, Im learning a solo I like, and I just happen to get better everytime I do, so now I feel Im getting pretty good at playing, but I know no theory (im trying to learn right now), Ive never had a teacher, and I cant improvise at all well.
Quote by Muppet

My advice is not to follow that advice.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Its not a race man. And you cant compare yourself to other people. Everyone is doing something different. I was classically trained. People around me who were playing about the same time as me were playing real fast and soloing. But I took the time to learn to read music with a high degree of accuracy.
Quote by Muppet

i think hes on ****in crack

that was horrible advice lol

albert king cud never play 16th note triplet legato at high speeds very well

but mr. king is an amazing ****in guitar player

speed it not skill
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.