So I have an Epiphone G-400 SG that's been abused for a couple of years, There's a crack in the headstock veneer, and the pickups sound repulsive. I've got the back of one of my Grover tuners held on with a rubber band. The headstock is a mess, I stupidly told my friend to go drill the hole bigger for the tuners, and riipppp. Then after he messed up one hole, he didn't stop and tell me, but he proceded go on and rip a bunch more holes
IDIOT!

I need to fix up the headstock so it looks nice again. Here are my options:
Rip off the cracked veneer and sand it flat, then paint it black, OR:
Get a new veneer and stick it on, after ripping the old one off. If this won't look nicer, I don't want to do it.

Which is easier?

And then for the back, of it(all chipped up and crap too) I don't think I'll be able to make it unnoticable, so I figured I'd just fill in any cracks and stuff with wood filler, and then sand it flat and do a clear over it. This will involve putting nitrocellulose lacquer over the original poly; will this present itself a problem?

What's the easiest?

I'm not really happy with my tone now either, I've got a crappy neck HB and a bridge one that just doesn't fit the SG very well. So I'm thinking about routing out the humbucker slots so they're longer and narrower, and getting a full sized SG pickguard with P-90's. Anyone know where I can get one of these?
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
^GREAT LINK!
Thanks so much!
Quote by That_Pink_Queen

I need to fix up the headstock so it looks nice again. Here are my options:
Rip off the cracked veneer and sand it flat, then paint it black, OR:
Get a new veneer and stick it on, after ripping the old one off. If this won't look nicer, I don't want to do it.

Which is easier?

And then for the back, of it(all chipped up and crap too) I don't think I'll be able to make it unnoticable, so I figured I'd just fill in any cracks and stuff with wood filler, and then sand it flat and do a clear over it. This will involve putting nitrocellulose lacquer over the original poly; will this present itself a problem?

You need the veneer on the top of the headstock. There is a very weak spot on the gibson style headstocks and without the veneer your guitar is much more likely to have the headstock rip off just from bumping it into something. That is why you never see an angled headstock on a steel string guitar that doesn't have a veneer. The very few I know of that have been made without veneers have either broken, or they had CF braces in them. Because of the advantage of haveing extra veneers you might want to considar adding one to the back of the headstock to cover the damage done there.

Adding the veneers is heasy. Just sand the top and back down so that the headstock won't be too thick with the veneers, and then glue the new ones on.
Not taking any online orders.
Ahh lame.
Thanks for the info though.
How would I go about adding a veneer on a curvy shape like a headstock?? I have no tools really.
Glue it on before you shape it. Then use a chisel to carve it down almost to size. Then use some sand paper and a sanding block to get it just right.
Alright cool thanks. U da man!

I'll probably get some old paint splattered chisels on eBay or something to save a few bucks....
To sharpen them, an ordinary grindstone thing works right? Or there is some special sharpener to squeeze out a few ounces of mojo?

And what do y'all think about a Bisgby? Good idea? Yay or nay?
Yay, I like bigsbys but DO NOT use the original screws, they are crap and on mine became unusable so i had to rip the whole thing out, which ended up breaking it!
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Nay pink, nay!

Also I havent been able to grab you on msn: so can you just breif me on adding solid topped (no holes) chrome covers onto standard open 'buckers? these are high gain things, would I have to wax 'em?

Also, I think this thing should move the strap button to the tip of the horn.
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
The best way to make sure you chisel is sharp is a high grit stone and a honing guide. The higher the grit on the stone the sharper the chisel. I can see myself on the blade of my chisels. A honing guide is just something that will help you constrole the angle of the blade. When you try do it by hand you end up rounding the tip if the chisel.
Alright great, thanks very much.

And Ped:
I'll jump on MSN.
Quote by Pedricko
Also, I think this thing should move the strap button to the tip of the horn.

I second that. As an SG owner, the strap position leaves the SG open to neck diving. Moving it to the horn would make more like an LP, which is more balanced.
I like the strap button there...doesn't bug me and making+filling new holes is annoying work.