Hi i'm about to change the tone control on my ESP LTD f-2005 to a volume control for my pickup, therefore i'd have 2 volumes, for the 2 different pickups (which i would need for gain limiting when i get my single channel tube amp, and even on my single channel microcube).

My question before i sacrifice the tone control, is there any use for it? Surely using the EQ on either an amp or an EQ pedal can actually replace that tone control all together? Is there something i should know before i make the change?
Marty
I use it all the time.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
ok well the dilemma here is whether i have 2 volume controls so i can change the gain on my amp witha flick of the switch, that way i don't have to switch to me E60 and turn the volume down in the middle of a song, or have that tone thing which i can probably do with a pedal.

i'll muck aroudn with the tone nob tonight and see if i fall in love with it or not. but because of the huge tonal difference between teh 81 and the 60 i dont' see a problem with changing between songs.

I take it losing the tone nob will mean that the pickups are always set to maximum tone?
Marty
EQ at the amp will have a very different effect, tone control on guitar alters tone on the way out, EQ on the amp changes the tone at the amp, producing a very different result. You might not notice it or care, but personally I'm pretty anal about my tones so I like as much control as I can get.
For an example, but your guitar to rhythm, then turn the tone to say 6ish. Nice clean jazz bluesy sound
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
hmm alright i'll have a look. I guess when i play something like funk or some clean type stuff i tend to play that for the next hour and im fine with my and then when i play some maiden or something and i have to constantly flick between clean and distorted.

cheers guys, ill muck aruond with it, i guess i can always change it back if i realise i'm missing it.

i'm pretty sure i can put a pentiometer inside a true bypass pedal that will control the tone of my guitar, of course not as convenient as having it on the guitar itself.
Marty
I would never ever ever ever get rid of the tone control on my guitar, honestly I think you would be insane just wanting to do it lol. ^^^That there was just one example of somehting you can use it for man
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
Ok guys but the question is whether i would need to sweep tone during solo's or rythm parts of simple rock songs? the answer is probably no, and changing tone between songs can be done with a true bypass pedal and an analogue EQ pedal.

i dunno guys, its just so important for me to be able to control the gain and pickup with one switch, although you seem to make the case that tone is pretty important so i shall build a tone pedal . cheers.
Marty
I never use my tone controls while playing, I use my volume a lot, but tone never.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
depends what style your playing if your a metal player then really tone dont come into it you want a high output harsh sound and on high gain the tone would just make it sound muddy. so metal = rip that tone pot out , anything else your choice , as for "sweep tone" just switch pickups , you got multi effects amp etc , that modifys sound
I mostly play bass, and on my Fender J the tone control at full accentautes my harmonics (especially with my EQ. Low=5, Mid=10, High=3) and with the tone control turned at it's lowest point, it gives dark overtones... sort of Geezer Butler/Jack Bruce type of tone. I also use the individual pickup volumes to shape my tone, though.
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
i use my tone every day

especially with my emg's because there so finicky

i have a guitar* schecter* wtih the 81/85 and i tend to roll off the tone alot for blues and solos- bout 1/2 way for the rhythm parts on both pups

and i have a custom jackson with 81/sa/60 that i tend to roll off the tone on the 81 and not the rest- it mellows out the pup alot, and leaves the really hgh tone i dont like out of it
I dont personally see a point in a tone control knob on the guitar. If your a good enough player you really dont need it, that is if the rest of your gear is of good quality. I've seen Joe Walsh play a Squire Bullet Special with only a volume knob and a Seymour Duncan Anniversary pickup and it sounded amazing. But if you suck at playing you may want to keep it on there so you can hide your suckiness.
^ what??? dude- thats the worst statement ive ever heard from anyone ever.

ya joe walsh can do it- how many amps, eq's, pedals is running through??

also- maybe his sig tone doesnt need a tone knob- he has a pup that sounds exctly what he wqants.

but BB KING used a tone knob alot to roll ofrf the treble to get his sig tone- does he suck???

personally- i think you delete that entire comment dude- its amazingly ignorant
^Agreed. Sort of.

A tone knob is an easy way to define your tone without investing $$ in new equipment. Sure, Joe Walsh can pull off playing a piece of crap with a seymour duncan, but as T_U said, think about how much modulation equipment he has. Christ, I can make a Marshall MG sound good if you give me enough time and maybe a decent graphic EQ.
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
First off Tongue Untied, your reading too much into what I was trying to say. Yeah Joe Walsh uses alot of pedals and eq's but so what, he still dont have a tone. I dont know what kind of rig or setup this kid even has. I dont care what he uses, Im just saying I dont think theres a use for one. most of my guitars dont have them, especially if they are one pickup, more so if theyre only a one humbucker config. Besides I've built alot of volume only guitars for alot of people so who are you to tell me I'm ignorant? Have I said your ignorant for anything you post? I dont think so. Im only posting my opinion and if you dont like it thats fine keep your arguements to yourself from now on, because I honestly dont feel like getting into it with you over a stupid mute point.