I saw a used ds-1 at a second hand shop which i can get for a little higher than half price of a new one.

Which got me thinking :

I thought of buying pedals individually, getting distortion, delay, chorus and a wah for starters. Then it occured to me that buying those individually takes more time and money (if i want to get more in the future). By buying a multieffects unit i can get all the effects that i want (even more than what i want) and it would cost me less than buying those individually.

My question :

How much it the difference between a multieffects unit and single stompboxes when comparing them tone wise, value for money, and ease of getting the sound I want?

Im considering whether or not to buy the ds-1. Since if i want to get a multieffects unit, i should save the money.

Oh, and also could you recommend me any good multieffects unit to take a look at?

Thanks
Stompboxes. They have better tone and multis sound too digital, they are more value for money as you wont get crappy tones like those in multi effects, and you can get the sound your after alot easier as you can choose bewtween many pedals to see which one suits you.

Save your money!
i have a boss ME-50, but i wouldnt say that all the effects are at a good standard, the wah lacks a bit of bite, and i just havent been bothered to get the distortion and that set up (havent needed to use it for a while.) read reviews and search them of a few good ones from each maker then get a final list then try em out if you can is my advice, however single pedals will be a more expensive option, but will probbaly give better results in the long run.
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
Peavey 5150ii w/ Marshall 1960DM cab
"Stompboxes. They have better tone and multis sound too digital, they are more value for money as you wont get crappy tones like those in multi effects, and you can get the sound your after alot easier as you can choose bewtween many pedals to see which one suits you.
"

I presume you've never tried a TC Electronics G-Force then?

Some of the analog stomp boxes are great but you have to spend the cash on them.
Also when you have a few in front of you it helps to master the art of tap dancing.
Personally for me I prefer a semi decent quality multi effects (Rocktron etc). Sounds pretty good and all controlled with one press of a midi controller.
yeah, I'm enjoying my TC G-major a lot. It's not the G-Force, but it's still a nice unit for the money. So far, it's blown away any of the multifx I've tried that weren't rackmount. Very transparent, with quality fx. It's strictly fx though, no amp modeling, overdrives, cab sims, etc.. It has a noisegate, 3 band parametric EQ, compressor, chorus, delays, reverbs, flanger, vibrato, resonance filter, phaser, tremolo, panner, and pitch shift. You also need either a seperate midi controller, or their G-minor footpedal if you want to change fx remotely however. It does include a midi thru, and channel switching for 2 tip to ground connectors though, so you can also control amp channels with it depending what your amp uses.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Ground based multi effects are just absolute crap. On the other hand rack mount multi effects are usually amazing and thats a guarentee the G-major is an Excellent rack effects processor for relativley cheap 400 USD i believe. then you get into the expensive ones such as the TC G-force and the best one by far is the Eventide Eclipse but it is 2000 USD
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
I played a G-Force once and I was amazed at some the sounds that I got from the unit.

Had a chance to buy one second hand for £500.00 hardly used. I did'nt take it up and I've regretted the decision ever since. Dont use effects enough to warrant over £1000.00 for one new.

The G Major is a good unit though and I was going to buy one but Sound Control never got one instore for me. Ended up getting a Rocktron Xpression from the states new for $298.00!! Its a good unit too, comparible to the G Major and good enough for what I want.