The Only: Setlist crit and recommendation thread

Well since there have been alot of threads on "is this setlist good?" and "anyone know any good *insert adjectiv or band name* songs?", i've decided to put this all into one thread, in the hope it gets stickied.

Post your setlist or ask for a song with a certain attribute.

If this has been done before and it didn't work please delete.

As a Reminder
(thanks to Zamboni)

* The First Song

You should always try to start your set with a relatively up-beat song. This serves two purposes: It allows you to release some of your pent-up, pre-show energy, as well as getting the crowd into it right from the get-go.

* The Middle of Your Set

Here you have a bit of leeway. You can choose to continue with the up-beat songs, or vary it and throw in a slower-paced song or even a ballad here and there. A good rule of thumb to follow is to end the middle of your set with a relatively slower song. This calms your crowd down a bit and lets them settle into a groove where they're not constantly rocking out, but also just chilling.

* The End of Your Set

OK, now we're wrapping up your set. You always want to end off on a high note, and this is done by following the pattern of your first songs and playing something fun, fast, and preferably memorable. Covers work well in these situations. You can lead up to your last song with a slower one, but definitely leave the crowd on a high by playing something up-beat.

* Your Encore

Assuming the crowd enjoyed your set, you may be asked for an encore. In contrast to your first and last songs, an encore generally demands a ballad or slower-type song. This is especially effective if you are the last band to play. This, once again, calms the crowd down and seems to complete the concert for them.

Rule

Always put info next to each song of your setlist, so that people who don't know the song can still crit your setlist.

Example: Anti-Flag - F*ck Police Brutality (very fast, energetic, very good sing along song)

So post away!

Oi 'n' Cheers

.:SwampMonkey:.
Bryan Adams - Summer of '69 (Well known, can be played in a number of situations)

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (Probably more suited to an "acoustic set", reasonably well known, good for if you want to slow things down a bit, has two decent solos :P)

The Jam - In The City High energy, gets the crowd hyped up, reasonably well known

I might add to it later when my brain functions and I can remember songs I/we (acoustic soloist/full band) play. Just wanted to get the ball rolling.
Can someone tell me 2 songs?

1. A slow popular song.
2. A fast popular song.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

It also has to do with what kind of band you are and what kind of music you play. If your an Elton John cover band, most of the set will be ballads, and if your an AC/DC cover band, none of the songs will be slow/ballads.

Personally I think slower songs can express more emotion, and I have at least of those for last.
Quote by Hardin
It also has to do with what kind of band you are and what kind of music you play. If your an Elton John cover band, most of the set will be ballads, and if your an AC/DC cover band, none of the songs will be slow/ballads.

Personally I think slower songs can express more emotion, and I have at least of those for last.

I only play acoustic stuff.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by feltgrape
Can someone tell me 2 songs?

1. A slow popular song.
2. A fast popular song.

1. Wonderwall - Oasis

2.Paradise City- Guns N' Roses
Quote by Robman2k9
1. Wonderwall - Oasis

2.Paradise City- Guns N' Roses

wonderwalls slow?
Already know it.
Too bad paradise city isnt acoustic.
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by feltgrape
wonderwalls slow?
Already know it.
Too bad paradise city isnt acoustic.

You could try to make it acoustic, sorry I can't help with that;

Try 'Patience' By Guns N' Roses, it's acoustic, and fun to play
The setlist for the band that I'm in (subject to change at any time). All guitars (and bass) are tuned to Drop-D, and all songs are transcribed over to that tuning. The list covers every band member's stylistic preferences, and most songs are adjusted a bit to fit in with the rest of the list.

Most of these songs are fairly popular, or have PowerTab and/or GuitarPro files available here on UG.

That being said, here we go!

01) Loading the Weapon (Disturbed)
02) Remember (Disturbed)

- pause for a bit of audience interaction -

03) For Whom The Bell Tolls (Metallica)
04) "Heavy Jazz" (Original Tune) - fairly steady, relatively heavy based in Gm Jazz scale.
05) Seven Nation Army (The White Stripes)
06) Whiskey in the Jar (Traditional Irish/Thin Lizzy/Metallica)

- brief mention that we're going to do something totally different -

07) Buffy the Vampire Slayer Theme (Nerf Herder)

- "guest vocalist" makes her entrance during the BtVS Theme -

08) Lies (Evanescence)
09) Zombie (The Cranberries)
10) Bass Solo - just because bass solos are cool.
11) Crazy (Willie Nelson/Patsy Cline/Kidney Theives)

- thank our "guest vocalist," she exits, and we move on -

12) Mellow Song in A (Original Tune) - a slower, blues-based song rooted in A
13) Truth (Seether)
14) Heavy Song in E (Original Tune) - a grinding, sludge-like metal song based on the E melodic minor scale
15) Inhale (Stone Sour)

Encore:
16)
Canon in D leading into Hook (Blues Traveller) - harmonica solo transcribed for and played on guitar. Imagine if Metallica were to revisit the tune, and you've got the general idea.

Well, any thoughts?

Last edited by Freunleven at Aug 23, 2006,
^ nice setlist, I could picture that show really well and I always like guest appearances. of course since I play bass, the bass solo gets a big + and the 2 songs that are... "disturbed" should get the crowd going. good work

oi 'n' cheers

SwampMonkey
Thanks, SwampMonkey. It's really important to me that every instrument stand out in some way or another. Since bass is typically the most overlooked instrument in a band, we really wanted to give him a moment to stand out. Since "Zombie" ends with bass and "Crazy" starts with it, it just seemed like an ideal moment.

Nice setlist, but you're really not very good at naming your own songs, are you?

Also, not to criticise, but doesn't 7 Nation Army fall a bit flat in that context?
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
yo friends, we finally have a full band and had our first practice today. We have two guitars, bass, keyboard, and a drummer. the bass player can also play sax. these are the songs we do well, so basically our set. Any songs you suggest we learn tell us and we just might do them.

La Bamba (Ritchie Valens) (everyone knows La Bamba)
Hello, I Love You (The Doors) (mid-tempo song, pretty hard rockin')
Blitzkrieg Bop (The Ramones) (I know this one will make us seem way noob but we play it too well to pass it up (Again, everyone knows this.)
Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue (Ramones) (very fast paced, minute and a half song)
Beat On The Brat (Ramones) (somewhat fast song, approx. 2 min.)
Ghost Riders In the Sky (who knows who did the original? seriously) (Old cowboy song , we do it kinda as rap-rock, don't ask why)
Folsom Prison Blues (Johnny Cash) (Great classic country tune, we do it rockingly)
Secret Agent Man (Johnny Rivers) (everyone knows this)
If You Wanna Be Happy (Jimmy Soul) (song about marrying an ugly woman in order to be happy)
The Twist (Chubby Checker) (Old 1960 dance craze song, we will first teach the crowd the dance, then play the song)
Mellow Yellow (Donovan) (very mellow song. haha.)

We need to work on:

Wipeout (Surfaris) (the drummer can play some sweet solos in here, I just need to learn the rest of the guitar)
Back in Black (AC/DC) (Everyone know back in black)
Undone (The Sweater Song) (Weezer) (grungy-type song)
Tutti Frutti (Little Richard) (loud, fast, goodtime rock n' roll song)
My City Was Gone (Pretenders) (For those who don't know, the Rush Limbaugh theme )
The Breakup Song (They Don't Write 'em) (Greg Kihn Band) (pretty fast, very fun song)
White Wedding (Billy Idol) (rockin' song that basically everyone should know)

There now I have info about every song.

Please don't suggest anything very hard because the two guitarists aren't that good.
Last edited by WOODnotes at Aug 30, 2006,
^is that your setlist order?

Because isn't 3 ramones songs played back to back a little overkill?
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
No it isn't in order it is just all of the songs. We're smarter than that, we wouldn't put three ramones songs in order. sorry for the confusion. peace, WOODnotes
Quote by TheUnholy
Nice setlist, but you're really not very good at naming your own songs, are you?

Also, not to criticise, but doesn't 7 Nation Army fall a bit flat in that context?

No, I'm not good at naming them. I'm not writing the lyrics, so I don't get to name the songs. As soon as the rest of the band is done with lyrics and such, they'll settle on titles. I'm just the fool who does a good share of the arrangements, but almost none of the naming.

As for Seven Nation Army . . . . yeah, it does seem to fall a bit flat, I'll admit. At least, in a text-only context. It's all in how the song is played. We've got a variant arrangement going that makes it work pretty well. The transition from the end of "Heavy Jazz" to Seven Nation Army, and then from that into Whiskey in the Jar is a beautiful thing.

If I can ever get a recording of us playing all of these, I'll post it so you can check it out.

We play only covers right now, so our set list consists of:

Rip this joint
Riff Raff
Walk This way
Sweet emotion
King of the night time world
Shook me all night long
Lick and a promise
Let me go rock n' roll
C'mon n' Love me

that's what we usually come out with for a 45 minute set. rate please
I gave rock n' roll to you

Anti-thayer
Hey, I'm in a thrash metal band... Our main influence is Slayer. Our other influences vary but based a lot around early Metallica (Kill 'Em All).
So far we've got:
Slayer - Postmortem (fast song with alot of nice riffs. Great for getting a pit going)
Cannibal Corpse - No Remorse version (extremely heavy and catchy melody. Relatively well known song)
Death - 1000 Eyes (Nice riffs and a good solo and it will be new for a lot of people).
Originals (The riffs were written by the other guitarist who worships Slayer. You'd swear that Slayer wrote them themselves - Very fast and a lot of syncopated rhythms).

My question is if anybody can recommend us some other songs and bands that fit in with this set? Cheers
Originally posted by WlCmToTheJungle "you have just received the amish computer virus. Since the amish dont have computers it's based on there honor system so please delete all of your files immediatly. thank you
Okay, i'm in a metal band who draws on Ozzy, Dio, Sabbath and Metallica, so I want ideas for a setlist, here is a tenative one:

First Song: AC/DC- Back In Black, i figure this song is short, simple and loose and would be a good warm up for the heavier stuff in our arsenal
Second Song: Stand up and Shout- Dio (fast, pumped up and gets the crowd working)
Third Song: Mother- Danzig (down tempo, but the crowd can join in with the MOTHERRRR!!!!!!!! which is good for keeping people interrested)
Forth Song: Crazy Train- Ozzy (this is a one guitar song, and we have two guitarists, it gives me a good chance to take off my guitar and work the crowd with the singer)
Fifth Song- You Really Got Me- VanHalen (Angain, a "one guitar" song, but we play with two because I like having it sound chunky, again i Hope this is great for crowd participation)
Sixth song: Surrender- Cheap trick (not exactly metal, but its a fun song and we like it because it is a great F*** YOU!!! Song, and it is well known)

tell me, am i right here?
Also, all of us have at least 2 guitars/ basses so we can keep one tuned a half step down for the last 2 songs.
someone create a setlist for me please, we're a very new band, and we would like a setlist ranging from the who etc. and other classic rock, and going straight through to the arctic monkeys and the automatic type modern/indie rock.

If you could give me like a list of 10 - 12 songs which range then that would be great!
This is one of our old set lists. Four 45 minute sets, 15 minute breaks.

Set 1
Superstition
Stomp
Dock Of The Bay
Something Something
Lover Lover
Boogie Shoes
Under The Boardwalk
Talk It Over
Too Close
You To Me

Set 2
Kiss
Aint Too Proud/Sugar Pie
My Girl
All Night Long
Whats Goin? On
Lets Stay Together
Cant Get Enough
Is This Love
Moonshine
Sign Sealed Delivered

Set 3
Lovely Day
Steal My Kisses
I Want You Back
Billy Jean
Blame It On The Boogie
Let Me Love You
Master Blaster
Sexual Healing
Cream
Turn Your Love Around

Set 4
Rock With You
I Wish
Sweat
Love X Love
Tequila
So Sick
Signs
Gimme The Night
I Feel Good
September
::::Soul Prospect::::
♪♫♫♫♪
Quote by Reverb X
This is one of our old set lists. Four 45 minute sets, 15 minute breaks.

Set 1
Superstition
Stomp
Dock Of The Bay
Something Something
Lover Lover
Boogie Shoes
Under The Boardwalk
Talk It Over
Too Close
You To Me

Set 2
Kiss
Aint Too Proud/Sugar Pie
My Girl
All Night Long
Whats Goin? On
Lets Stay Together
Cant Get Enough
Is This Love
Moonshine
Sign Sealed Delivered

Set 3
Lovely Day
Steal My Kisses
I Want You Back
Billy Jean
Blame It On The Boogie
Let Me Love You
Master Blaster
Sexual Healing
Cream
Turn Your Love Around

Set 4
Rock With You
I Wish
Sweat
Love X Love
Tequila
So Sick
Signs
Gimme The Night
I Feel Good
September

Quote by WOODnotes
some one say something abot our list. pretty please

read the rules... I'm not to familiar with thos songs...
To reverbx: that is a pretty funky song list, I hope you play dances so people can bust a move to your band.

Other news: I edited our list so it has info about all the songs, now can some people tell me what they think.
Following a few significant line-up changes, here's our revised & updated setlist:

1. "Bodies" by Drowning Pool
2. "I Disappear" by Metallica

A brief moment to acknowledge the audience, and introduce the next song.

3. "Crawl" - original tune
4. "Inhale" by Stone Sour
5. "Wickham" - original tune

Here we have a brief guitar solo in honor of . . . . well, guitar solos.

6. "Whiskey in the Jar" using the Thin Lizzy intro, but the Metallica-style song
7. "Vampires" by Godsmack
8. "Waste of Flesh" - original tune
9. "Next Contestant" by Nickelback

Take a moment here to thank the audience, tell them that they've been wonderful, mention the next band.

10. "In the Air Tonight" - based on the Nonpoint cover, the ending of which merges into
11. "Down With The Sickness" by Disturbed

Thank you, good-night!

Any comments? Ideas for an encore song, maybe?

Last edited by Freunleven at Dec 11, 2006,