Hey guys

Tis my birthday soon, and i'm hoping to recieve an EMG-60 and 81 (if i'm really lucky). And even if i don't get it, i'll just have to save up and buy it. Anyhoo, i was wondering if the easy install things they have on EMGs work on all guitars, or just certain ones? Cos i'm planning to install them to my Vintage VS6 SG, but i don't want to go through the hassle of soldering and stuff... Any help at all i'll be grateful for

Last edited by Your Mother : Today at 03:44 PM
Quote by Weybl Himself
I'd say your bigger concern is routing a cavity for the battery.

Tends to be enough room in most guitar if you are careful with the wiring. But as you say, I would find out ab out that first.
Quote by Invictious
You can have it hanging outside, it makes your guitar look like it has character

Heh, my guitar already has a lot of 'character'. There are quite a few dents, and i've replaced one of the black tone knobs with a white strat one. Or maybe I could go for the cheapo option and just tape the battery on the front of the guitar or something? ^_^

Quote by timi_hendrix
EMGs will sound pants through your amp. Buy a new amp instead.

EMGs from my KH-602 still sound quite sexy through my amp, but you're right, i need a new amp.

However, I'd prefer to get the pickups first, THEN the amp. Thanks for the suggestion though.

And by the way, has anyone even answered my question? Will the easy install things work with my guitar?

I bought some EMG's, but im going to take them to this les paul dude. It's way to fiddley for me.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard.
Squire Fender Strat.
EMG 81 & 85 Pickups (still not fitted).
Marshall AVT100 2000.
Fender Frontman.
Dunlop Cry Baby.
D'addadrio Strings User.
Dunlop Plectrum User.
Levy's Strap user.
i would get some emg hz's, i think they don't require batteries. not entirely sure. but i played one with them before and they sounded good
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
GUYS!!!!!!

FFS what is with ppl thinknig that guitar cavities aren't big enough for batteries!! any cheapo guitar will fit a 9v battery in it's cavity, perhaps some of the thinner and more expensive guitars that are a bit more purpose built for their electroncis may have trouble but seriously ive installed emg's in so many standard guitars and never had problems.

want to test ?????

open up the cavity in the back of your guitar with a screwdriver, and stick a 9v battery in there, try it out for size, that's all u need to do.
Marty
^^ If you've installed them to standard guitars so many times, tell me, do the EMG easy install things actually work with standard guitars?

Yes, although I found that the little connecters to the pickups don't always fit through the holes going from the control cavities to the pickup routs. Not a big problem though, you can take the individual pins out and then snap them back in once they're through the hole.
Quote by Metallica708
tell me, do the EMG easy install things actually work with standard guitars?

what do you mean "work" with the standard guitars? You have to completely rewire the electronics. EMG actives don't work with 250k or 500k pots (passive pickup pots), so you need to replace them with the included 25k pots, and wire those accordingly. Either way, you're going to NEED to solder. The quik-connect is a complete gimmick IMO, unless you're switching between EMG pickups (say i have an 81 and 85, but wanna switch the 85, all I have to do is unscrew the 85 from it's ring, and then insert the new EMG into the ring, plug it in and screw it back in). If you're switching from any other pickup to emg actives, the quik-connects are worthless.
Quote by shredmeiser101
i would get some emg hz's, i think they don't require batteries. not entirely sure. but i played one with them before and they sounded good

They are passive but they are just not all that powerful, Most punk rock guitars have similar output to an EMG hz. Besides it makes no difference at all to the amount of soldering u have to do, it just means you don't have to put a battery in.

Btw if u love metallica, go buy an esp explorer and a mesa boogie.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by SolidxSnake
what do you mean "work" with the standard guitars? You have to completely rewire the electronics. EMG actives don't work with 250k or 500k pots (passive pickup pots), so you need to replace them with the included 25k pots, and wire those accordingly. Either way, you're going to NEED to solder. The quik-connect is a complete gimmick IMO, unless you're switching between EMG pickups (say i have an 81 and 85, but wanna switch the 85, all I have to do is unscrew the 85 from it's ring, and then insert the new EMG into the ring, plug it in and screw it back in). If you're switching from any other pickup to emg actives, the quik-connects are worthless.

Cool, that's all i wanted to know

Quote by eddiehimself

Btw if u love metallica, go buy an esp explorer and a mesa boogie.

I don't have that much money ^_^. Have you seen the exchange rate?? Everything costs almost twice as much over here in the UK!

hey this is weird i have a vs6 aswell and i was thinking bout getting emg pickups...rofl anyways im trying to figure out how u would install a 9v batery to this guitar ?
Quote by Weybl Himself
I'd say your bigger concern is routing a cavity for the battery.

1 volume, 1 tone, and a 6 way switch. Battery is wrapped in foam with the green tape.

Quote by N_I_N-621
Yes, although I found that the little connecters to the pickups don't always fit through the holes going from the control cavities to the pickup routs. Not a big problem though, you can take the individual pins out and then snap them back in once they're through the hole.

cut the quik connectors and solder the wires together.
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass