i had a whacky idea the other day. i thought that maybe i could try to design and build a tremelo for an acoustic guitar. yeah, crazy. probably for a nylon cuz you play single strings on it the most. any ideas?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
ah anythings possible i have a whammy on my bass lol
Mankind must stop war before war stops mankind
sounds like a great idea

i would buy it
Quote by Righteous
Is that Chuck Norris in your avator? I never thought of him as a shredder really... a shredder of bodies maybe.

Member: "I died a little inside when Steve Irwin died...RIP" club. Put in your sig to join

Self Proclaimed Master of Typos
I believe someone had this idea before, let me use the search feature to find out

EDIT: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299098&highlight=acoustic+tremolo check there, i'm not sure how it turned out, or if the person even tried it. but the thread might be worth a look.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Last edited by Will_Minus at Aug 21, 2006,
the only idea i have so far is a bigsby type thing, or something that would move the bridge forward.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
the thing is: if it's a bigsby, or any top mounted trem, you'll need a really strong top to take the pressure of yuo pushing on it.

it's it's a block trem, like a fender or floyd rose, how would you replace strings?

NOTE: Ibanez have strat shaped hollowbody guitars with block trems. I can';t remember what they're called, but check them out.
i drew up a schematic of one idea i had, but the file won't upload. a square peice would go around it and up towards the soundhole. two screws would go through it, then through the bridge, which will be detatched. springs will go over the screws and touch against the front of the bridge. this will push it back, but the square peice will go behind it so it doesn't move back, like a stopper. a hand peice will go off the back of the bridge so you can move it forward against the springs, which i think will lower the pitch.

------------------------------------------------
I I I I
I I I I
I I I I
I bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
------- I I I I --------
I I I I
hhhhhhhhh
the b's are the bridge and the h's are the hand peice, the middle I's are the screws and the dashes and outer I's are the box around it. springs will go over the "I" screws above the bridge. how this helps clear it up, damn pic wouldn't load. questions? comments? concerns? this thing i did won,t fit either
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
Quote by shredmeiser101

------------------------------------------------
I I I I
I I I I
I I I I
------- I I I I --------
I I I I
hhhhhhhhh

Quote by spazzymagee417
i would pay more for a midget corpse than an average size corpse
yeah it didn't show up right
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
Quote by shredmeiser101
yeah it didn't show up right

Highlight it and click the "wrap tags around this text" button
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
I I I I
I I I I
I I I I
------- I I I I --------
I I I I
hhhhhhhhh

Done

EDIT: still
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Last edited by frenchyfungus at Aug 21, 2006,
still didn't show up right.

I'd think something like a Kahler-style bridge would be what you need. The bridge is cam based, and doesn't require a through-route (just a little hole for the spring area to go through). I'd think that'd be the easiest type to implement into an acoustic guitar.
did any of you guys understand my tremelo idea?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT