Poll: What do you use most?
Poll Options
View poll results: What do you use most?
Tab. Can't play anything without them.
10 20%
Ear. What are tabs??
6 12%
Both. More ear than tabs. (ex: tabs for fast lick)
8 16%
Both. More tabs than ear.
27 53%
Voters: 51.
downloading a tab isn't transcribing a song...the only way to do it is by ear, any other way is cheating
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
depends whether i can be arsed goin printing off the tab

ill give it a quick go and if i mae no progress in 5 minutes...ill go get the tab...if i can be arsed
Ear.. I'm not the best, but I'm slowly progressing
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
I believe you mean how do you 'learn' a song!

Anyway, I have used a few tabs before, but I mostly do it entirely by ear because the music that I want to learn almost never has good tabs. When I do learn from tabs I'm forced to correct the errors in them. I also play lots of music from sheet music (classical guitar).

So, almost entirely by ear. I've been discovering more and more that I was blessed with a good one. I accredit it to listening to lots of good music

Slurgi
mainly its by ear, but if there's something thats confusing for me, i'll quick look at the tab for that part and i'll go back and have an idea at what i saw and just be more familiar at what i'm aiming for when i'm doing it by ear. i figure out most solos by ear now, some examples would be the power of i and i by shadows fall and crazy train by ozzy, just off the top of my head of course. i use tabs for tunings for the main reason if its something i can't already figure out by ear
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
- Jimi Hendrix
If there's a tab already, I use it. If there isn't I try my best. I've done a few full tabs already, but considering I also listen to a ton of Satriani there's not much else I can do but look at the tabs. o_O For simpler stuff I'm getting much better at.
it's not necessarily "knowing" the notes, just recognizing chord progressions, intervals, tonal centers, that kind of thing...you also should have a slight idea of what frets and notes make what sound, but that comes with experience
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

If I have time (or if all the tabs I can find are crap) I'll try and transcribe it myself. If I don't have time or if the song's too hard, I'll find a tab. If I don't have time, the song's too hard, and all the tabs are crap, then we have a problem.

Lately I've been getting lazy and just going for the tabs, though.
METAR KTIK 040043Z COR RMK TORNADO 1W MOV NE. EVACUATING STATION
ear PERIOD. Used to be tabs when I started though.
Originally posted by TheCurious Mime
Is it true that peter parker shows his butt in the next spiderman movie?
If i dont have access to a tab then i'll try to figure it out.
I'm Not amazing but i can do it every so often. Not something i practice though.
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Ear when I want to learn rock/fusion stuff. I use sheet music for classical stuff.

I actually use tabs when I don't know the material of an artist, and I feel like checking out some new licks. I use powertabs for that, though.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
I've always used my ear. Its got so that I know how to play things I hear before I've even tried.
http://ilikeshred.dmusic.com

Originally posted by blink_x41
d0oDd, gUrLs d0Nt lIk3 bOiS, gUrLs lIk3 cArS aNd m0N3y$$!!!!!!!11111L0L!!!!11111º1"·ª!"hArDc0r3
tabs are often bad, so i use tabs as a start to know riffs and keys, and then work from there. partly because i can recognise intervals but not keys.
When I want to learn a song, I always get tabs, but beforehand, I have to know the song very well so I can know what it's supposed to sound like.
Quote by Kamistan
Does anyone know how to do it by ear well , that they know the notes.

I cn recognise chords, if that counts.
^that's probably more than half of the people in this site, so yes it does
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Quote by El Cumanés
Just wondering. I always use tabs, i'm too lazy to figure it out by ear.

i jut play something like the song (while the song is playing) then i hit notes that sound rite then , i piece it together
I used to learn songs by ear; I would listen to a short section of the song I was trying to learn, then stop the record and sing the first note of the part and move around the fretboard til I'd found the note, then use my (slightly sketchy) knowledge of scales etc to work out the rest, being able to sing or hum reasonably well helps. Chords are a bit trickier, I'm OK at spotting major's, minors, minor sevenths, major sevenths, sevenths and sus4 chords, but anything else I just have to find by trial and error. The ready availability of tabs these days has made me a bit lazy, though I do tend to use the tabs as a starting point as *most* of them are at least partly wrong or incomplete, they still save you a bit of time though.
I really cant transcribe a song at all by ear. I sometimes manage to get some notes correct in a simple riff. The things that really throw me are speed and harmonization.

Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
If there's a tab available, I generally use that, and fix all the errors in it. Otherwise I figure it out. But most of what I play is improvisation anyway.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.