i just bought both of these.......and i cant decide which one would be better for the bridge or the neck........ahhhhhhhh help
Well, 81 sounds like crap in the neck, so 81 bridge, 85 neck it is.

I didn't like the bridge 81 in the guitar I tried with EMGs. But it's all a matter of preference.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
ya 81 goes bridge broheim.
"Speed is nothing without control" - Bart Frydrychowitcz

Mark Morton is a God

Gear
Schecter Gryphon Diamond Series Limited Edition
Carvin SX-300 Half Stack
Podxt Live
V-amp 2
Peavey Transtube 110efx
I have 81 in the bridge and 60 in the neck. Its a good combo and 81 should always go in the bridge.
~ My Gear ~

Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White with EMG 81/60
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Fender Champions Series 30
Not everyone uses the 81 in the bridge. I believe Steve Lukather (sp?) and Killswitch Engage use EMG 85s in the bridge position. I've just ordered an 85 actually to see how it sounds in the bridge of my alder-ESP. I'll let you know how it turns out.
yeah james hetfield also uses an 85 in the bridge because he plays (mostly) rythm, and the 85 gives a much more chunky sound. whereas kirk hammett has 81s in both. i have the 81 bridge/85 ncek setup, and its beautiful, so i guess ill be like the......millionth person to say get an 81 in the bridge
Last edited by nxtvanhalen at Aug 21, 2006,
Quote by nxtvanhalen
yeah james hetfield also uses an 85 in the bridge because he plays (mostly) rythm, and the 85 gives a much more chunky sound. whereas kirk hammett has 81s in both. i have the 81 bridge/85 ncek setup, and its beautiful, so i guess ill be like the......millionth person to say get an 81 in the bridge

I believe Hetfield uses an 81 (b)/ 60 (n) combo. The 60 gives a much better clean tone than the 85.