Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, basically in the title, I was just looking at some guitars before when it struck me that you never see Les Paul style guitars with locking trems. As nobody I know knows why I thought i'd ask you lot.

I was just wondering why as I have seen the occasional standard trem on a Les Paul stylee ( i.e. PRS Mark Tremonti) but never a locking one. I'm aware this is a fairly n00bish question but i'm curious to know frankly.

As this isn't a particularly constructive thread mods delete if you feel the need to.

Thanks,

Rock On!
I'm going to create the procrastination club, just later...
I think that its got something to do with Les Pauls are built for good sustain, and a tremolo system is known to reduce sustain. I think....
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Its because most Les Pauls have carved tops and its really hard for a machine to rout out wood evenly enough when the top of the les paul is usually with a maple top thats curved.

Also yes most Les paul users would think it a horrible idea.

However a decent Trem for a LP would be a Washburn wonderbar which used to have an attachment that allows you to just bolt it on a les paul without routing.
Pedulla MVP5
Gibson Grabber
Warmoth Antigua PJ
Ovation Magnum 1
i like the one that the guitarist from coheed uses, bitching guitar
Gear:
Blackstar HT-5 Half Stack
Damage control Solid Metal
Boss Flanger
Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron+
Dunlop 535Q Wah
General Guitar Gadgets ITS8 Overdrive
Marshall MS-4 Ministack

Guitars:

PRS Custom 24

Washburn D10 Quilted Bubinga
there have been les pauls with trems, only they never were successful.

Schaller makes an LP trem which works without drilling any holes. Just replace the existing bridge/tailpiece and that's it. Doesn't dive too far, though...

The thing is, the tune-o-matic bridge was originally designed for the les paul and has become a signature element of it. Same way all LP's have 24.75 inch scale lengths.
People reject Strats with humbuckers for the same reason: humbuckers make it lose all it's strattyness, and an LP with a floating trem wouldn't be very LP-like.
I tihnk it's also because LPs were originally made before trems were actually really used by anyone, and it's just tradition to keep them off.
Dickless.
LPs offer a very very good sustain because the bodys are quite big. Putting on a trem would take away a lot of the sustain that makes LPs who they are.
I've seen trems on LP but honestly they are build for crunch. I actually prefer playing without a trem. They guitar stays in tune better, and most of what you can do on a trem you can do with your fingers or a pedal.
Depotgang

Well basically LP is a slab of maho, the beefy tone and sustain are it's key, but it's be fruitless trying to make a floyd rose into it, because those bastards at gibson will double the price of the guitar.
Kahler have a trem made to retrofit on carved top guitars. but ESP have released a few Eclipse s with FR on them but usually they're Custom Shop Models or Sig Models either way they were both expensive
ive seen 1 excellent black custom LP from (surprise surprise) a custom shop with an OFR on it, and that was very cool, but apart from that:
sustain suffers, fixed bridge has attributes like double bends and stuff, and i guess les paul didnt design it that way...
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
check this out stetsbar!!! looks like a cool alternative
yea neal schon has a floyded lp too. i think alot of wierd lp owners are scared of covering up their "gorgeous figuring" or some **** like that.
^ Yep, it was one of his friends' Les Paul Deluxe, http://floydrose.com/firstbridge.html . A very interesting build.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
They [Tune-o-Matics] have amazing intonation, dunno if anyone here said that yet. Anyway, I would love a black Epiphone Les Paul Custom with a Lo-Pro bridge (why a Lo-pro? Because, if I'm not mistaken, they have a bigger trem block, thus more sustain) . Dunno about the intonation, but whatever.
Kh 603? or is it the kh-3 in ESP terms? dunno but one of the kirk hammet sigs is an eclipse (aka LP) with a locking trem.
Marty
no clits on a penis...why?
Cuz it aint ment to be son.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

Quote by Cmogi10

i think that reply would be appropriate for a topic titled "why aren't there acoustics with floyd rose double locking trems" but what's wrong with an LP having one?

Locking trems are more designed for soloing guitars, and LP's aren't renowned for their soloing abilities due to their traditionally fat necks and heavy designs, however there are guitars that retain the LP shape and therefore can afford to introduce a locking trem and incorporate it within the design like the KH-603.

As far as i remember bigsby's were more common on traditional lp's.

i'm still a fan of hardtails.
Marty
There's also an issue with the neck angle and the break angle of the strings over the TOM bridge. The installation of a floyd or 2 post floating trem would be difficult in the case of real-deal les pauls because of the distance between the strings at the bridge and the top of the body. You could put a floating tremolo on an LP, but you wouldn't really be able to recess it into the body without adjusting the neck angle, which ain't happening on a standard LP.
Quote by flogrock
check this out stetsbar!!! looks like a cool alternative
yea neal schon has a floyded lp too. i think alot of wierd lp owners are scared of covering up their "gorgeous figuring" or some **** like that.

I love the Stetsbar actually, but I'm not sure how it sounds, I'd love to try one out though
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
im not gonna lie, but i definetly disagree with the statememtn made that lps are bad soloing guitars, maybe shredding or super fast solos. but i think theyr sound makes solos. i have a gibby lp standard, the when i pull a solo from like ac/dc or zeppelin, it flippin screams every note like crazy. i think the fat neck makes it difficult for you to do alot of fast/crazy stuff on higher frets, but in no way is it a bad soloing guitar. point made?
[B]Member of the Orange Revolution Club. Buy an Orange to join.
Member #16 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Kahler have a trem made to retrofit on carved top guitars. but ESP have released a few Eclipse s with FR on them but usually they're Custom Shop Models or Sig Models either way they were both expensive

I don't think there are ECs with trems, just the Kirk Hammett sig. Which is pretty ugly IMO.

EDIT:Oh. My. God. Whoever said LPs (not the ones I mentioned) looked ugly with FRs... Shut your greasy ass piehole.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Last edited by jmag at Aug 22, 2006,
One of the LPs is a Burny though, which looks better than the Gibby IMO.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Some have trems. Snowy White, who's currently touring with Roger Waters, has a LP with a whammy.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
I am looking at my Les Paul right now and I personally think the only kind of trem that would look at all decent would be a Bigsby.
My Gear:

2006 Fender American Strat
'58 Reissue Korina Gibson Flying V
1963 Harmony H53 Rocket
Squier Tele Custom II

Fender Champion 600
Gary Moore would own the guy who said LPs are bad soloing guitars.

LP's don't have trems cause it's just lame. The low maintence aspect of the LP also makes it awesome.
Quote by Cmogi10

I totally agree a LP isnt a LP if its got a trem on it its just not made for it. I will accept it if its a bigsby but even then i wouldnt play one LPs are fixed bridges and thats the way they should stay
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Les Pauls with trems, really just dont' look all that great, and i'd find it amusing watching someone pulling off dives, and the sqeels dimebag does on one. Now I do believe the Explorer and Flying V are well, generalized as hard rock or metal guitars, they need more with trems and 24 frets.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Les Pauls with trems, really just dont' look all that great, and i'd find it amusing watching someone pulling off dives, and the sqeels dimebag does on one. Now I do believe the Explorer and Flying V are well, generalized as hard rock or metal guitars, they need more with trems and 24 frets.

IMO explorers not so much better as a rhythm guitar IMO but yes they need more 24 fret flying Vs made of Mahogany with a OFR
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
in the gear thread someone has to Les's with floyds,and they r fine guitars...im thinkings about getting a agile les with a floyd and see how it is....
What new friends will the day bring?

Private in the 7>6

[Member of the Ibanez S Players.] PM Striketalonx to join
Quote by flyingv_m3
im not gonna lie, but i definetly disagree with the statememtn made that lps are bad soloing guitars, maybe shredding or super fast solos. but i think theyr sound makes solos. i have a gibby lp standard, the when i pull a solo from like ac/dc or zeppelin, it flippin screams every note like crazy. i think the fat neck makes it difficult for you to do alot of fast/crazy stuff on higher frets, but in no way is it a bad soloing guitar. point made?

point made

The reason is that the Les Paul is not built to be a shred guitar, although it can certainly be used as a solo guitar (Slash, Page, Perry?!?!). Les Pauls are made for heavy rock and rich, smooth soloing with incredible sustain. Also, the wide necks on Les Pauls and the limited upper fret access make shredding even more difficult, although it can certainly be done if you try hard enough. Whammy bars are typically used when shredding, so it makes sense that they aren't included on a Les Paul. However, some of the earliest Les Paul Standards came fitted with Bigsbys, but I have never heard of putting a Floyd on a Les Paul. Personally, I wouldn't want to put a Floyd on a Les Paul anyway.

Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Quote by Syn Harvest
IMO explorers not so much better as a rhythm guitar IMO but yes they need more 24 fret flying Vs made of Mahogany with a OFR

I dont' really think the body shape has anything to do with what its used for, its mostly just something people generalize because thats what james hetfield used it for. Explorers are my favorite shred guitar...flying v's are just the second most sexy thing since a bus full of cheerleaders rubbing oil on each other, the explorer is the first most sexy thing.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
explorers r sexy, but so is a alpine white les with gold hardware...

Private in the 7>6

Quote by punkMETALskater

Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Quote by punkMETALskater

Your talking to the most biased person about explorers. Definaly my favorite guitar. In my book the alpine white les paul with gold hardware comes right after a flying v, and is followed by an aged white Fender Tele.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
bak to the note of a les with a floyd,i want a floyd,but i dont no much about them and im not so sure i wanna jack up my les copy i have...its a johnson,good guitar pickup and body wise.....but i also have a strat copy,which has a standard strat trem,would it be easy to have someone route that out and put a floyd in it..?..i no i should make my own thread but its all about a floyd and routing and guitars,right?

Private in the 7>6

Quote by jmag
I don't think there are ECs with trems, just the Kirk Hammett sig. Which is pretty ugly IMO.

EDIT:Oh. My. God. Whoever said LPs (not the ones I mentioned) looked ugly with FRs... Shut your greasy ass piehole.

http://www.bmusic.com.au/prod3677.htm
http://www.bmusic.com.au/prod3526.htm
http://www.bmusic.com.au/prod3527.htm

should never ever defy my awesomeness of my fan boy ness of ESP Guitars
Page 1 of 2