I just ordered a new Schecter Damien 6 (cuz my old cort is a peice of shyte) and I know Im probably gonna end up having to switch out the pickups. It comes with EMG-Hz's and i was wondering what you guys would recommend, active emg's, Seymoyur Duncans, or some Dimarzio's. As far as the EMGs I would probably go for an 81/60 setup and with the seymour duncans I was thinking an SH-5 Custom or SH-8 Invader in the bridge spot and an SH-1 '59 in the neck spot, and I know absolutely NOTHING about Dimarzios. My band plays stuff ranging from Tool to Lamb of God and Norma Jean plus our own stuff which is a mix of those genres for the most part. THANKS.
+My Gear+
Schecter Damien 6
Line 6 Spider II HD Stack
Crappy Old Cort G-200
the emg 81 has almost every guitarist in metal...you know why?
because they're great...
but som super distortions are also great...
you should try some guitars with one of those pick-ups
you may like it!
it's all about you
but I'm getting an emg 81 also
so it's very good and it doesn't buzz
Hold my breath
as I wish for death
Oh please god wake me
honestly emg 81s arent that great. my other guitarist has an esp ex-400 or something like that with 81/60s and i played my guitar through my amp with my pedal then swapped the guitar for his and played through the same setup and it really didnt sound much different, the only big difference was the clean tone (which is lacking in bc riches) and the guitar i was using that time was just a bc rich. basically dont waste your money on emgs, they're so ****ing expensive and that exact same tone can be achieved with a little pedal. get either dimarzios or the duncan invaders. just my opinion on emgs, try out a guitar with them if you want and then swap it for a guitar without them on the same setup and you'll see, not much difference.
I have played through my friends Kirk Hammet sig before and I believe it has an 81/85 setup and they were very quiet but i dont really have anything to compare them to other than the ****ty single coils in my cort.
+My Gear+
Schecter Damien 6
Crappy Old Cort G-200
Im not decided yet, but if I was to go with the active 81/60 setup how would i convert the passive to active, I mean, would I have to cut out a new place to put the battery or what?
+My Gear+
Schecter Damien 6
Crappy Old Cort G-200