Hey! I'm just wondering if anyone has spent any time learning the pentatonic
fingering method used by Frank Gambale? When I started working on it, a
couple months ago, I wondered how useful I'd find it -- it involves fingering in
much larger than normal stretches. I figured it would at least be good practice
if nothing else. I'm really beginning to reach the point where it's getting
pretty comfortable, and I must say you can really let some very cool pentatonic
patterns rip this way. I beginning to be able to get it into my soloing, but
I'm still working on improvements to the fingering in some positions.

Anyone else use Gambale's method?

For those wondering what this is: In a nutshell, you basically "glue" 2 adjacent
pentatonic fingering positions together. This essentially gives you a 3 note per
string pentatonic fingering (with overlap). That in turn allows putting together some
cool sweeps through the scale. Assuming you can make the stretches, it can really
rip!
I've never actually heard of the method being taught through a book or anything... but I do use the method and utilizie 3 note-per-string pentatonic patterns, although I've picked that kin d of thing up from Joe Satriani, not Frank Gambale

I picked up a 3 note per string pattern of the blues scale recommended in a Joe Satriani instructional book.. and I noticed this *changed* the sound of the scale simply by playing in this method, so I applied to the regular penatonic shapes, too.

It's not something I consciously use often though.
I didn't pick it up from Frank, but I'm working on 3 note per string stuff right now.

I picked it up from a few Paul Gilbert licks, then I changed them around to fit a variety of uses.

What I really need to work on, though, is two note per string pentatonic ideas as well as faster position shifts when doing them. I think Eric Johnson uses this more than the three note per string stuff.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
The Hopscotch method. There's a few popular articles on it here on UG.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
i use it from time to time ive gotten it to a pretty solid tempo
Member #8 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
The Hopscotch method. There's a few popular articles on it here on UG.

Well, no. It's not the hopscotch method, really.

The hopscotch method is just a thought process where you connect all the positions and get out of the 'box pattern' frame of mind, not necessarily using 3 note-per-string patterns.

The method we're talking about is playing 3 note-per-string patterns, instead of your regular 2 note-per-string patterns.

I can see how you'd relate it to the hopscotch method that's flying around, but they aren't really the same.
I'm finding that I'm getting VERY comfortable with this fingering and it's been
a pleasant surprise. When I started working on it a couple months ago it was
pretty uncomfortable covering the distances quickly. The key for me was not
trying to overly stretch the fingers (which adds tension), but keeping the hand
relaxed and doing what amounts to a small position shift and a kind of wrist
rotation to cover the distance.

Added benefits are that you cover more fretboard with a single position and
moving up & down the neck vertically is also easier. But the ability to go from a
dead stop to a nice rip across the fretboard is the biggie. I can see with another
month or two of work that this will be my "default" pentatonic fingering and
changing to the standard boxes as needed for bends and some riffs. Pretty
much this has completely changed my approach to pentatonics.