OK people, i'm probably going for the warthog for my next bridge pickup. This time its supposed to be final as i will have the money to get the pickup sometime soon. Although i am a little troubled as to how the pickup sounds for chords/power chords and such. The soundclip on their website pretty much shows the soloing. I will be using this pickup for most of the distorted sounds i do, and i need it to be good for chords as well as soloing. So, is it?
Oh, and does someone have more soundclips i can hear? And if you want to suggest another pup.... feel free.

Thanks a lot.
"...I cried. Just for a second. Then I thought, 'I must rock.' "
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

yeah it should be fine kuz it has high bass output - chords, especially powerchords are played on the bass strings of the guitar...so im guessing itl be fine
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570 w/ Swineys
Fender Standard Telecaster w/ Duncans
Ibanez RGT42DXFX w/ EMG

Amp
Behringer 15W Amp

Effects
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Ask the good people at swineshead. Email them at the address shown on the "contact us" section of the site, and ask them your question. They're really helpful and replied to me within a matter of hours. Sorry I couldnt be of more help. Ask Dave Mc, If I remember correctly he has a warthog in the bridge, he'll be happy to answer your questions.
i imagine jon would tell me the warthog is great for rhythm even if it wasnt. Wanted some public opinions. I will look for dave_mc too, if he doesnt get here before that.
Any more opinions?
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

Anybody?
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

Most high-end, non-commercial pickup winders like Swineshead will be really straight forward with their suggestions or comments. They'll either tell you "yes" or "no" and suggest something that WILL be good for it.
I have the Warthog in a mahogany LP style guitar and I can safely say it may be the best all around pickup I've ever used. Very versatile, you can go from clean picking to metal without much effort (depending on the amp anyway). I play a lot of classic and modern rock and I'm never left wanting from the guitar (my amp is a different story). I've used it with a Fender Hot Rod to get killer rhythm and wonderful blues tones and also with a Peavey 6505+ and found screaming rock and metal sounds.

Absolutely worth the money, I'd buy another in a heartbeat.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
ive got the warthog in a SG, best pickup ive ever heard, and ive used many from gibson, seymour dunc, atleast best for what i like to do, it has good clarity of all notes when playing rhythm. i cant really say for distortion, cos im not big on it. but for soloing and chords will be great.
awesome... i think i'll be going with it then.
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

yeah, it's great for rhythm. It's more a hard rock-type distortion than modern metal, though- it sounds organic.

Though it'll do metal no bother with the right amp.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
For neck i was thinking of putting a sh condor. How much distortion can it take while still sounding good? I would put it there for cleans but some overdrive on neck would be nice too. Warthog and Condor... kinda ok combo right?
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

^ it'll take plenty of distortion and still sound good. Problem is, it's alnico II, so it can get quite "mushy" with too much gain- it sounds vintagey, and you don't want to be playing metal rhythm with it. Shred solos also might be a little mushy, too.

It's a great pickup, it really depends what you want- the runaway in the neck might be better if you want loads of gain to still sound "good", but still have good cleans.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
No problem. I wanted the best cleans sh can offer... for cleans i suppose it will be awesome, at least on the soundclips it did. Dont need lots of distortion there, just wanted some nice overdriven solos and whatnot. Ok... so its probably Condor for neck.

Thanks a lot y'all.
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

^ no problem. It should be grand for that. think slash for the overdriven tone.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Really? I dont like slash as a guitarrist but i do love his tone.
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

^ aye. well, close enough. obviously they probably aren't just carbon copies of slash's pickups (though I haven't tried alnico II pros).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?