Hey i'm a complete n00b at building electronically:

i was hoping to make that my first build, first question:

1)would a speaker with 8 ohms and .5 watts work fine? or is it too weak?

2) for the inputs and outputs... wtf is going on assuming a input is a standard gutiar jack, there should be a negative, a positive and a ground right? or is it just one thing and a groung? and for the output, where does it attach?? the speaker has a + and a -, so where do they go?
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Uh for your first build I wouldn't do this... especially since you dont seem to understand some of the electrical concepts
Quote by spazzymagee417
i would pay more for a midget corpse than an average size corpse
the input has to be a 1/4 inch stereo jack, and the output can be any kind of 1/4 jack. i think.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Sleeves of cables are grounded. The input and output go to the tips.

AC current(from your guitar) doesn't have "negative." It has "hot" and "neutral," the latter being ground.

.5 watts, 8 ohms will work fine.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by Tedrick
Uh for your first build I wouldn't do this... especially since you dont seem to understand some of the electrical concepts

meh it's a learning process... no offence

Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Sleeves of cables are grounded. The input and output go to the tips.

AC current(from your guitar) doesn't have "negative." It has "hot" and "neutral," the latter being ground.

.5 watts, 8 ohms will work fine.

so there is only one wiring leading from the very tip of the cable, but what about the output, the +/- wires from the speaker or do you have to have a jack for them, meaning does there have to be a component for them separately?
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
bump/ update

i read up a little bit, and i understand that the positve part (from the power supply)attaches in the circuit, and the negative goes directly to the jack, is this true? if so then do you wire up the same principle (- from the battery) with the speaker? like does the negative wire from the speaker go to the jack? and then the positive to the schematic? or is it the negative to the schematic and positive to the jack

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
ok and for the caps, is 220 the same as 0.22uF?

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
No, the 220 cap is a 220uF cap. It says it right there. It says you can make that value lower or higher depending on what frequency you want the sound to be.
so wait all cap units on that diagram are in uf?

EDIT and also the 5k pot is linear right? what type is the volume?

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Last edited by seek_&_destroy at Aug 21, 2006,
thank you very much

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
bump

BIG problem... anybody know where in canada i can get the 25 ohm rheostat? there are no radiashacks in my country, and the source doesn't carry them. to order it from radioshack.com would be $10+

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Google "Solarbotics". They're a Canadian company that sell stuff for robotics. Look for a variable resistor/potentiometer/pot because a rheostat isn't really what you want. You might have trouble finding a 25ohm one though, but if you search for those other words instead of rheostat you're sure to find somewhere.
is there any thing i could use instead of the 25 ohm pot?

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
bump/ new schematic

will this work with a 0.5, 8 ohm speaker?

EDIT and on the site, it says by turning the gain pot down, you're increasing in gain, if i switch the outside lug connections, will it still work?

EDIT EDIT i was making a parts list when i noticed it sad 1 M 5 next to one resitor and 3 k 9 next to another... HUH? what does that mean?

also what's going on with th MPF102 other than that i think i'm good

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Last edited by seek_&_destroy at Aug 22, 2006,
Dunno about the speaker, it should say what sort to attach, but it should be alright. You could test it with headphones first.
If you add a switch in series with the gain pot, you can turn gain on and off. If you add a switch in parallel with the gain pot, you turn gain up to the max. At least I think it's that way round.
1M5 means 1.5M (megaohms) and 3k9 means 3.9K (kilohms)
The MPF102 is, IIRC, a radio frequency N-channell Jfet. I think any sort will work, but if you can find that one, use it.
Quote by Wyld Stallyn
Dunno about the speaker, it should say what sort to attach, but it should be alright. You could test it with headphones first.
If you add a switch in series with the gain pot, you can turn gain on and off. If you add a switch in parallel with the gain pot, you turn gain up to the max. At least I think it's that way round.
1M5 means 1.5M (megaohms) and 3k9 means 3.9K (kilohms)
The MPF102 is, IIRC, a radio frequency N-channell Jfet. I think any sort will work, but if you can find that one, use it.

thank you for the resistor help

as for the gain i think i'll leave it as it is, this is my first build

Thanks again! i'm just gonna go ahead and try with the speaker, i took apart two old comps, and they each had one, so if one blows i know it's to weak

EDIT and just to make sure: the gain pot is linear and the volume is log/audio right?

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Last edited by seek_&_destroy at Aug 23, 2006,
one thing if i'm using batteries, were should the ground go? obviously all grounds connect to one point but then from that one point, how do i get rid of the charge? how to i get it to connect to thae ground?

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Negative to ground...all grounds go together...that's it.
What charge do you need to get rid of?
What!?
Capacitors will drain on their own in time, but it doesn't matter how fast in this instance.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.