I'd just like to know what people seem to find wrong with the marshall mg series

is it specific models or just the sound. I'd appreciate replies.
^how use full....

i hear that there all realy fizzy sounding and the distortion on it is rubbish all though ive never tried one out.
oh, i have mg 15 for practice, doesn't souynd that bad for a non-valve, but what can i say? 10 month experience
distortion sucks...cleans arnt too good, but mostly its overpriced...if it were a lot cheaper...which it should be, because its put together so cheaply ppl on this site wouldnt be knocking it half as bad as they are.

But becasuse of it's price there are many amps out there of the same price that are much better
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Because when I was younger I would wrap dollar bills around my wang while masturbating to get that extra dirty feeling.

Even though I quit doing it, it still turns me on when I see money.

Http://magnumman.dmusic.com
They have no tone. The distortion is almost useless, and they have a bad habbit of breaking down for no reason at all.
My Gear:
American Deluxe HSS Strat
Crate GT212
Vintage '66 Fender Champ Amp
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Vintage '74 MXR Script Phase 90
Vintage '77 MXR Flanger
Orange Squeezer (clone)
buzzy, sterile sounding distortion, flat sounding cleans, and they break down pretty consistently. There is a little fan that seems to go on every model at some point, and starts making a buzzing sound like an old computer fan. They are meant to be budget amps, so they aren't built that well to begin with. The cabinet construction is shoddy, and they use low budget speakers. The FX are meh, but the fact that you are limited in options of what you can use together, and what settings you have for them, even make the fx crumby. They make ok practice amps if you are getting a deal on a low wattage version, but buying any of the higher wattage versions is a waste of money. I speak from experience owning an MG100DFX.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
the little practice amps are decent if your ear is good enough.... if you can equalize it.
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
so then if the mg are no good (or not much by the sounds of things!)
lets not knock marshall as they are overall a great maker of amps duh! so what ones r good?!(for under$350 £200)
It would be faster to expalin whats not wrong with them. Buyt there isnt anything thats not wrong with them.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by tristan123/
wat 1 u on ABOUT? my mg15 was off ebay for £48 2nd hand i fort good deal!

For that much its not bad at all. Plus it seems like no offense but your not going to know good tone from bad tone. But that comes in time. So just keep that one unless it breaks.
The reason they get so much **** is because of the price. However, if you work with the amp, you can get a decent tone out of it. I own a MG100DFX and I think I get a pretty good tone. However it definately isn't an outstanding amp. It's probably a little less than mediocre.
Well if it was twice the price I'd say that less people will thrash it.

It can actually be decent, if it falls in the right hands, with the right pedal combo, pickup, and settings.
Quote by Invictious
Well if it was twice the price I'd say that less people will thrash it.

It can actually be decent, if it falls in the right hands, with the right pedal combo, pickup, and settings.

I just find it funny that you listed all the things you need to make the amp sound somewhat decent. I've had one for over a year and I still have not found a setting that I like. The cleans are good until you get to +5(halfway)
Last edited by hamett91 at Aug 21, 2006,
I went to see a local metal band play, and unfourtunalty one of the guitarists had an MG half stack. Imagine a dinosaur with 20 foot long nails coming to a halt from 200 miles an hour on a chalkboard while a wizard conjures up 45,000 pound steel plates and drops them on millions of glass vases during a blizzard in which 200 horrible opera singers screech their last tunes as millions of shreiking ravens blow through their chests with immense fury.
tristan, do u want an amp? if so what's ur budget and the type of music u play?

if not then IMO, this thread is done.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
if the marshall mg series isnt good, then what IS a good half stack for under 700 dollars? dont recommend a tube, i dont care about tubes or combos even if they are better or cheaper or whatever, ive heard it too much. i just want a f*cking stack, i dont care how good or bad it is. just tell me what a better choice for a STACK would be for under 700.
yea ppl on this forum seem to hate them despit how bad they are
Quote by bajeda
congrats, you made me chuckle at your stupidity.

Seinfeld Club
In honesty, my MG is fine for what I use it for. Practice. That's what my MG is used for. I would consider it for band practice, but not playing live unless I had to.

The sound on my MG is variable. Basically, it's like my MG has mood swings - some days it will sound good, others it will sound horrible. It's basically luck that determines if I have a good sounding amp each day.

My MG does exhibit some of the "problems" on occasion. Mainly the buzzing, which I've isolated as a combination of my guitar's pickups and the computer monitor. Some days it will just buzz on it's own, some days it will be nice and clear.

As for tones, I can get quite a few good sounds out of mine. Basically, it get's the job done. If you want a practice amp, it's fine for that. If you want something for gigging, there are better amps out there that would be better for that.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
So it our goal to find out why it buzzes, and maybe that pink queen can come up with a prognosis, then maybe the MG might actually be decent/
the speaker is pretty bad. i can tell u that for a fact because i run my 5W tube head thru it and at times the 50W speaker cant handle the power.

and the fan rattles. that's more noise there. Marshall must know about this, because i see a thread about it once a month, they dont seem to care.

also the tone is boring and flat. it's better if u use it on clean and run it thru a pedal.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by seltzer
if the marshall mg series isnt good, then what IS a good half stack for under 700 dollars? dont recommend a tube, i dont care about tubes or combos even if they are better or cheaper or whatever, ive heard it too much. i just want a f*cking stack, i dont care how good or bad it is. just tell me what a better choice for a STACK would be for under 700.

Why would you want a stack that sounds like crap??
For that price your not going to get a stack that sounds any good. Either save your money. You could try the AVT series, the 50W head has an ok sound and is pretty cheap. I wouldn't touch an MG series for a stack - they are practice amps not giging amps.

You'd be better off with one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marshall-4102-JCM-900-100W-amp-2x12-combo-dual-reverb_W0QQitemZ230019080736QQihZ013QQcategoryZ38075QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Gear
Marshall JCM 600 Head
Custom celestion 2x12 cab with G12 65's
Boss GT3
Epi LP with Duncan pups (pearly gates & JB)
BC Rich ASM Platinum Pro
Yamaha APX4 Electro-Accoustic

Quote by Mr_Jubby_Jubs
is that like everywhere else football or american footbal?
Last edited by GuitarRich at Aug 22, 2006,
For a small practice amp, the MG will do fine. As already mentioned, you pay a huge premium for the Marshall logo on the front of the amp. You can get comparable amps (in terms of features, sound and quality) from low-end brands for 1/2 the price of an MG. These other amps have poor speakers, sound bad when turned up, have buzzy, fizzy distortion, poor reliability, etc. But at least you expect that from those other amps. You get the same from the MG, but at a premium Marshall price.

And to me, that's the biggest problem. Kids buy these things up because of the Marshall name when they could be putting the same money into a much better, more useable amp from another company. Rebranding the old Park amps (which were a total commercial failiure) to Marshall MG was a stroke of genius on Marshall's part. Simply renaming the amp line and doubling its price gave the public the perception that all of a sudden these amps were good.

So like I said, the MGs make decent bedroom practice amps, even though they cost too much for the quality you're getting. But if you're looking for an amp that will hold its own for things like band practice or gigs, the Marshall is definately a horrible choice.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
if you play metal or anything with a lot of gain DO NOT BUY ONE!! i have a crappy 10 watt and my mate has an mg and i hate to use it cos the gain sucks soooooo much
Private guitar lessons available in West London, UK with an experienced and qualified tutor. Most subjects/styles covered. PM me for more information.
people aren't going to "respect you" if you have a pos stack, if that's why you want one, personally when i see someone using a mg stack i laugh at them and how sucked into advertisement they were. the best stack under 700 is definatly something used off ebay or finding it locally, but get ready to retube it....new probibally ether the vox valvetronix or the randall stacks, but they aren't half as good as a solid 2X12 Tube combo you can get for a little more then 700

save up for a tube combo, you may go to a store and be like "wow this solid state stack sound friggin awesome, but 3 months later you'll hate it, everyone goes through the same. I have i'd say...5 friends with the solid state stacks (crate, mg's, randall, vox) and i remember them rambeling on when they got it and now all 5 hate them and are looking to invest in a tube combo or stack.
Quote by pacoasterrider
...personally when i see someone using a mg stack i laugh at them and how sucked into advertisement they were.

Same here. I tend to chuckle to myself whenever I see people on stage with bottom-of-the-barrel MG, Laney and Crate stacks. They sound like utter ****, but they think having stacks makes them look so much cooler. Then they hear their band's recordings and bitch how their guitars sound like crap in the recording... lol

Personally, I'm more impressed by someone's amp choice when I see them with quality rather than quantity. I'd prefer listen to a (good) band playing quality combos than a band playing ****ty amps that make my ears feel like someone is stabbing them with ice picks...
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor