Yes, I have a question revolving around palm muting. When I palm mute, and play, I usually hit a chord just with downstrokes. Is it necessary picking up and down with the pick on palm muting areas? To me going straight down gets a better sound and I feel more comfortable with it. But any opinions would be appreciated.
REPETITON OF HATRED dir en grey
You should practice doing it with both upstrokes and downstrokes.
Quote by Krost
a Ghost possessed my dog and made him buy a 50 cent CD.

Watch it now, watch it!

"I died a little inside when Steve Irwin died...RIP"

Honorary Masshole. PM SOADFanSince'98 to join.
for chords downstroke is best, but up-downstrokes is best for single string riffs, i think the theory name is alternate picking.
Member #15 of the 'Guitarists born in 1991 club' PM blues_rocker greendayguitar or gdm09 to join.
Quote by cockzit
I also told a girl I knew how to make bombs and I was suspended from school. I hate snitches, I swear.

LOLZNESS
i have the same problem. it sounds better with just downstrokes, but i can play a lot faster alternating. like Mcut said, try doing both and just do whatever feels more comfortable
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
I see more powerchord-based bands use mostly downstrokes. It does sound better because each one gets the same accent. Guys who are really good can alternate pick them and sound just as good, but that takes a bit of practice. Pick and choose.
Looking for my India/Django.
well if you are goint to play greenday or blink(blink uses lots of palm mutes) you are better off going downstroke

but if you want to play metal you either have to be really fast on the downstrokes or do alternate

TG
Fighting for peace, is like screwing for virginity

Screw you Waldo, go find yourself!!!!
Last edited by tamargoguitar at Aug 21, 2006,
There aren't a lot of cases where you'll be required to palm mute while alt-picking chords. However that said, it's still useful to be able to do it, especially if you play a lot of metal. Just practice it for a couple minutes a day, and eventually it will start sounding better and it will feel more comfortable.

Also, it's an idea when you're playing powerchords like that to just hit the root note on the upstroke and both on the down. It's easier to keep the emphasis where it belongs that way.
I don't think ppl normaly do upstrokes while palm-muting a chord but while palm-muting single notes I alternate all the time. Although The Trooper has pming in the verse so....
Depends Palm muting and down strokes give a very percussive tone. Great for hard rock and metal. I do palm mute and alternate pick...it's a nit harder.
Depotgang

As palm muting gives you a deep, bassy sound, downpicking will only increase this and is usually a desired effect. However, some songs use fast, palm muted strums. I found I wasn't prepared at all when I encountered this and it was kind of ackward going down AND up while palm muting for a while. Practice both so you have the skill set for later. You never no when you'll need it!

Bry
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Large Brownie Batter Blizzard with chunks of brownie. *Dairy product orgasm*

Yes, i'm fat
Quote by Bryan52803
As palm muting gives you a deep, bassy sound, downpicking will only increase this and is usually a desired effect. However, some songs use fast, palm muted strums. I found I wasn't prepared at all when I encountered this and it was kind of ackward going down AND up while palm muting for a while. Practice both so you have the skill set for later. You never no when you'll need it!

Bry

Thanks for your opinion!
REPETITON OF HATRED dir en grey