Well ive got my modes down to a T and i know them all well by ear but i dont what chords each of them are supposed to be played with and what the logic/theory behind the chords and the modes connection is. Can anyone help me out?
I could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure... Say you're in the key of C major, (meaning you can use the chords C, Dmin, Emin, F, G, Amin, Bdim) then you can play the C Ionian, C Dorian, C Phrygian, C Lydian, C Mixolydian, C Aeolian, and C Locrian scales over any 'mix' or progression of the aforementioned chords.
no, actually you'd use:

C Ionian
D Dorian
E Phrygian
F Lydian
G Mixolydian
A Aeolian
B Locrian

all of those modes are in the key of C major, and you would be best suited using the appropriate mode over that particular chord...this is called Pitch Axis Theory, and you don't have to follow these guidelines, but if you do it will sound good nonetheless
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by axe_grinder247
no, actually you'd use:

C Ionian
D Dorian
E Phrygian
F Lydian
G Mixolydian
A Aeolian
B Locrian

all of those modes are in the key of C major, and you would be best suited using the appropriate mode over that particular chord...this is called Pitch Axis Theory, and you don't have to follow these guidelines, but if you do it will sound good nonetheless

That dosent really help because if i played an A major chord over the Aeolian mode it wudnt work.
Quote by Naboo
That dosent really help because if i played an A major chord over the Aeolian mode it wudnt work.

don't you mean A minor? He's talking about the key of C major.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Naboo

of course it wouldn't work, A major isn't even in the key of C
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Quote by axe_grinder247
of course it wouldn't work, A major isn't even in the key of C

ok ok bad example, but what i ment was that i still dont know which chords go with which modes lol.
alright, well here are the chords and their relevant modes

C major - C Ionian
D minor - D Dorian
E minor - E Phrygian
F major - F Lydian
G major - G Mixolydian
A minor - A Aeolian
B diminished - B Locrian

Pitch Axis Theory
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

I have no clue about modes, but from what he^ said I understand that the tonic chord goes with ionian, the 2nd with dorian, the third with phyrigian, and so on... It's simple.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
well, the added tones you speak of i.e. 13, 7 etc do not determine the tonality of the chord, so they make no difference when choosing a mode to play over it...however, there are instances where one mode would fit much better than another...for example, let's say you have a min7b5 chord...the dorian mode might work over it if used correctly, but the Locrian mode fits perfectly because the scale itself contains a b5...or let's say you have a maj7#11 chord...Ionian might work, but not nearly as well as Lydian because of the inclusion of #4(11)...take a gander at the link provided in my last post, with a bit of study you should figure it out fairly quickly
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

take a sheet of staff paper and write out a major scale. then build chords off each scale step by stacking thirds ( if you start on a space , your next ascending space is a third. if you start on a line , a third is the next line )

make sure you have the proper key signature for your scale.

once you do this for one scale , you can build chords for all relative scales (modes )

start with three part harmony chords ( three notes )

you will notice that just as your (relative ) modes use all the same notes , so do your chords.
I think you still need to study a little more about modes.
"I have a large fridge at home and I've been eating alot of pork chops"
I second the Logz lesson!
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
i third it

well, that didn't sound very intelligent
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!