I always played with a closed fist, now im trying to do it open because most guitarists do.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a closed fist, but people say it looks beginnerish :S
Larrivée D-03R
US Fender Telecaster, Vox AC15
whatever helps you feel more combfortable: there is no wrong way to eat a reese's
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
Quote by shadowsoldier08
there is no wrong way to eat a reese's

like shoveling two of them in your mouth at the same time?
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
will if there is NO WRONG WAY, then why do you need to make it a point?
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
i like open fisted picking better. it helps me play faster. i used to play closed fisted too but when i grew out of the habbit, i became a better player so i strongly reccommend it.
Don't play with closed or open first, play with your feet.

But seriously though, your picking hand should be relaxed, so it shuld be slightly open slightly closed, because if you are tensing up, you are not doing it right, that's why I am against anchoring, it's just like playing with a clenched fist or a palm that is tensed up.
If you do it right, with open fist you can use the rest of your hand to do other things. Click switches, adjust volume/tone, dampen strings, the list goes on. If you're doing death metal, and you just set everything to max, it doesn't really matter, if you want nuance, open your hand, and learn to back-pick. If you can't control your pick using your thumb and your forefinger, youneed to practice some more.
That guy wasnt that unorthodox...It was just normal picking with some chicken picking too...
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
I just found out why you should play open fisted.. cus u need the hand for the whammy bar.. ehehe
Larrivée D-03R
US Fender Telecaster, Vox AC15
Usually open (sometimes closes involuntarily, like when doing that crazy-fast strumming for the lulz).

Mostly open though. You can use your pinky to brace your hand when needed that way, whammy, get tired slower, and so on.

Wait. This thread is ten years old.