I was wondering what your opinion of Jake E. Lee was.

For those of you not in the know, he was the guitarist for Ozzy after Randy Rhoads died. (Bark at the Moon Album featured this guitarist).

IMO, Jake's a great shredder who had quite good blues feel as well. I also feel he is underrated in a way.

Tell me what you think!!!
My Guitar
>Ibanez RG7620 (7 string)

Originally Posted by Outside Octaves
... ah, the bliss of ignorience!
I think jake is a good guitarist but some of the stuff he played on bark at the moon sounded a bit cheesey lol just m opinion though
nah, randy and zakk owned ozzy up the ass!
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
i like him
and ithink he is def. underated just cause he took rhandy's place
but i think he is good
Quote by apocalypse13

Quote by Beckerism
I ain't ghetto foo! I's just keeping it real!

Keep it real man.
Click.
He is massively underrated. I don't know why heaps of people think that Zakk Wylde is a better and faster guitarist then him. Lee could shred all over the fretboard whereas Zakk Wylde has only been playing the pentatonic scale for the last 10 years.

edit: that movie stops haflway through for some reason.
Last edited by ferretman at Aug 21, 2006,
My dad named me after him.

Hes pretty good, much better than Zakk in my opinion.

The end of Bark at the Moon is such a creamable lead lick.
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
The main solo of Bark At The Moon is probably my all time favorite, but I ain't touching it till I can nail it perfectly..Damn my noob skills..
he has a solo album called a fine pink mist or something doesnt he? I've been tryin to find a copy of it but no luck so far
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
he has a solo album called a fine pink mist or something doesnt he? I've been tryin to find a copy of it but no luck so far

you should try the badlands album with like ray gillen {i think hes passed away now} but they have some good albums i think their last one is Dusk and is by far the better one. yeah i agree he and randy are amazing players they each had a very unique style and very fluid. zakk is good but im just saying that jake e lee it seems had a better understanding of all the scales not just like pentatonics and stuff.
i also think his second album with ozzy got a bad rap because ozzy didint like it. its very good and shot in the dark is by far one of the better ozzy songs
Last edited by JK82 at Aug 22, 2006,
Quote by 5150)Ed(5150
For those of you who don't know him real well, I want to post this so you can take a look at him.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nWAohdmCl4o

(YouTube video, not mine)

Wow I've never seen Lee live, that's pretty impressive.

"The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society"
Quote by 5150)Ed(5150
I was wondering what your opinion of Jake E. Lee was.

For those of you not in the know, he was the guitarist for Ozzy after Randy Rhoads died. (Bark at the Moon Album featured this guitarist).

IMO, Jake's a great shredder who had quite good blues feel as well. I also feel he is underrated in a way.

Tell me what you think!!!

Ahem*cough*guesswhatotheralbumheplayedon*unchough*

*points to user-name*

Quote by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
jake got a bad deal, when he joined ozzy he was immediately put in a situation where hes taking over for a kid who overnight turned into a legend...remember, when randy was still with quiet riot he was almost completely unknown, and with ozzy he was considered great, but nowhere near the status he is now with the shredder community.

it would be extremely similar to this situation....if pantera never broke up, but somehow dimebag still died tragically...and he was replaced by someone from a lesser known band...people would look at the new guitarist the way alot looked at jake.

i once read an interview with jake where he talked about being on the bark at the moon tour and there were some kids front row with randy rhoads shirts on flicking him off and heckling him...i mean what kinda crap is that. jake never went out there and said im better than randy, he just wanted to make some money playing.

as for jakes ability, he was more blues oriented where randy was much more classical guitar influenced. but jake could still pick up anything on the guitar randy could have ever made up...but i doubt he could duplicate the style too well.

randy was obviously the better writer but as for who was better on the guitar they both had crazy stuff they could do, hell most the time jake refused to use the whammy bar and would manage to do it with the tuning pegs...like zakk does..jake would also do artificial harmonics aka squeal, something randy never really did....like zakk does now...but multiplied by 200 times.

now as for the zakk vs jake thing...i love zakk, i am a huge fan and ive seen bls in concert and he is was huge influence to my playing....but jake was simply the better...or better defined 'more creative' guitarist. and i dont mean that in a anti-zakk way, but jake had more control over the instrument where zakk seems to be in a pentatonic alternate picking rut..but i guess he likes it that way.

jake is extremely underrated, and is looked at for having that one song 'bark at the moon'... and then falling off the face of the earth.

ultimate sin, bark at the moon, rock and roll rebel, shot in the dark, centre of eternity, killer of giants...thank god for the bomb...all awesome songs.

and those were off two albums.

and dont blame jake for ultimate sin having a more pop/hair metal sound too it..ozzy wanted it like that because the rising popularity of the genre.

anyway, ozzy was a crazy drugged and drunk madman during bark/sin albums sparked by randys death, and the material jake managed to come up with during those few short years was an excellent job..ozzy was so crazy he even fired jake just because he was so screwed up at the time to realize what was going on...he invited him back and jake passed and went onto badlands and such..bet never reached that type of popularity again sadly.

if you dont think jake was a great player, just watch some videos..nothing short of spectacular.

peace
^

i actually like some of his stuff more than Randys.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
^^every time you mentioned "ultimate sin", I had to double check to make sure you weren't talking to me
Quote by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Quote by Lethal_Ibanez

and dont blame jake for ultimate sin having a more pop/hair metal sound too it..ozzy wanted it like that because the rising popularity of the genre.

Yeah the reason that album sounds so poppy is all the keyboards and ozzy's influence. Ozzy is a major sell out but Jake E. Lee didn't really compromise his guitar sounds anyway, some of his solos and riffs are awesome.
Has anyone heard A Fine Pink Mist?

I ordered it, but it hasn't gotten here yet...
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
I managed to acquire a copy ages ago but I never really gave it a listen.

it's typical. You look for something for ages then give up looking only to find it the next day and by that time you're not even interested in it anymore.

I'll give it a listen.

ooh it's in .flac, wasn't expecting that.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Jake E. Lee rocks. I'd like to see him jam with Warren DiMartini.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Jake is one of my favorite guitar players. His work on Bark At The Moon and Ultimate Sin are phenominal. If your into blues oriented guitar with metal also check out Badland his other band. Jake I personally think was not the best Ozzy guitarist as I believe Randy was but Jake I think had the best style of playing. And ANGUSX, Jake E. Lee used to be in Mickey Ratt with Stephen Pearcy im not sure if Warren was in the band at that time and then they broke up with Mickey Ratt becoming RATT and Jake going on to Ozzy. Jake and Warren also owned an apartment together in 1983-1984 where Jake was working on riffs for songs like ''Bark At The Moon'' and ''Rock N Roll Rebel'',ect. and Warren was working on ''Wanted Man'', ''Round and Round'', ''Im Insane'', ect.
I personally think that The Ultimate Sin is Ozzy's second best album, after Diary of a Madman. Blizzard of Ozz was a barnburner, but still showed him in his formative phases. Diary was a masterpiece, no debating allowed. Bark at the Moon was a little shaky, too poppy for my tastes. But TUS was just fantastic. Unfortunately, Ozzy is the weakest part of the album. His singing is a little too relaxed and bluesy sounding for Jake's riffs sometimes.
no
Quote by WhyteChocl8
Jake is one of my favorite guitar players. His work on Bark At The Moon and Ultimate Sin are phenominal. If your into blues oriented guitar with metal also check out Badland his other band. Jake I personally think was not the best Ozzy guitarist as I believe Randy was but Jake I think had the best style of playing. And ANGUSX, Jake E. Lee used to be in Mickey Ratt with Stephen Pearcy im not sure if Warren was in the band at that time and then they broke up with Mickey Ratt becoming RATT and Jake going on to Ozzy. Jake and Warren also owned an apartment together in 1983-1984 where Jake was working on riffs for songs like ''Bark At The Moon'' and ''Rock N Roll Rebel'',ect. and Warren was working on ''Wanted Man'', ''Round and Round'', ''Im Insane'', ect.

I did not know that. That's pretty freakin' neat. I really want to see the two of them jam, I think it would be simply amazing.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Jake is awesome. But I think his stuff in Badlands was way better than anything he did with Ozzy. I have 'Dusk' their unreleased third album. Even more bluesy than Voodoo Highway. Great disc.
Everyone always raves about Badlands. I guess I'll check them out some more sometime.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Jake E Lee is no.3 on my list of guitarists of all time, and sadly is rarely mentioned in relation to Ozzy.

I only listen to Ozzys first 4 albums, i lost interest after Zakk.
Randy was great in terms of innovation for guitar in his time and Zakk is great at pinch harmonics, but Lee could to everything and was a much better guitarist.

His tone was the greatest ive ever heard, id like to know more about his specs on BATM and TUS and if they changed much. Lee is the type of player to simply play a power chord and it sounds 10 times better than the great crazy train riff. His tone was unbelievable. TUS is the album with the greatest guitar tone of all time.
My personal JEL faves are secret loser and the solo and especially that outro solo to bark at the moon. They are unbelievable. He was great on stage aswell.
Quote by AngusX
Jake E. Lee rocks. I'd like to see him jam with Warren DiMartini.

I would love to see that too, since they were roomates and pretty much made each other better...
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all
Saw Ozzy with Jake E Lee a few times back in the 80's and he always kicked ass, as far as I was concerned. I saw Ozzy with Zakk I think on his first tour with Ozzy and I didn't like him as much. Both are great but I give the edge to Jake. I like his style more.

btw - one of the sickest concerts ever was Ozzy with Metallica opening up... Ozzy incited a riot and the crowd trashed the place... just crazy ****.