alright, i was originally gonna get the peavey 6505 combo due to its high gain/distortion sound for what i like to play. but i recently heard about krank amps and they sound even better. the only thing is is that they are REALLY expensive. the only combo they make is just as expensive as any of the half stacks: roughly around 3 grand! i was researching them when this quesion came about, are they really worth all that extra money? and if they are, which model would be the best to get for a metalcore/hardcore sound?
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
Last edited by shadowsoldier08 at Aug 21, 2006,
No, krank are never worth it, go try one out with a 6505 next to it and you'll see why.
As I see the ignorance of humanity engulfing reason and sanity like a wave of perpetual defeat and misery I ask myself, when the hell is everyone going to shut up and actually think?
they are absolute garbage all those bands that endorse krank use something else a 6505 will hit those tones your after perfectly i guarentee it
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
most people hate Krank around here, so you probably won't get many positive responses on it. Personally, I played the Revolution 1 combo, and I thought it was pretty kickass. My friend owns one, so I got a good opportunity to play around with it. IMO, it had a nice tight OD, with tons of gain. I've heard it sounds muddy, but I didn't think it was muddy at all. I used a PRS Tremonti artist and an ESP/LTD SRC 607B thru it, and it sounded great with both. They both are nice guitars though, with excellent pickups. The Kleen channel kind of was lacking to me, but I really wasn't too interested in the cleans.

Now the bad part, that amp that I used is now ONLY working on the Kleen channel. Something happend with the switching, and there is no switch on the amp to change channels. Its also been a PITA for him to find a service center that will work on it. The price is also crazy. He got his Rev 1 combo at GC for $1700 used, so it's very expensive. Personally, for the money, I don't think it's worth it for basically "only" a good modern metal tone. Some people will even disagree with me there about the metal tone, but I personally thought it kicked ass. It reminded me of a pissed off version of my Mark IV, but that's just my opinion.

I have yet to try a Krankenstien myself, but it's supposed to be just a hotrodded version of the Rev. However, a lot of people here who's opinion I respect played it, and said it sucked nuts, so I dunno.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
yes i have played both and IMO they both sucked the Krankenstein is complete mud i couldnt even make out the notes it all sounded the same probably good for slipknot
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Make sure you don't get a matching Krank cab, absolutely the worst most overpriced cabs on around. It makes the Marshall MG and AVT seem like a good deal.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Krankensteins suck majorly. Thin tone, no clarity, too dark for its own good.
geez. well good thing i asked
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
For $500 Krank's amps would be pretty decent, for $2000, they're crap. The only reason you hear good things about them is because of the huge amount of money Krank pays reviewers.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I think kranks suck. the rev is a bit better than the krankenstein, but that's because the krankenstein is terrible.

My main complaints were:

(a) like erock, solely aimed at metal. the OD channel will ONLY do metal, and worse ONLY metal of a resolutely modern variety. It's EQ'ed only for modern metal.

(b) the gain gets buzzy/fizzy WAY too soon. it was getting buzzy before it was saturated. Fair enough on a £300 tube amp. Not on a £1300 tube amp.

(c) it was way too trebly- and if you turned the treble and presence down, it got muddy.

The 5150/6505 is way better for a lot less cash- and I'm not a big fan of a 5150/6505.

I didn't get to try it cranked up though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ You may like it, I got to try out a friends revolution combo. I thought the cleans were decent, good nu-metal tones on the krank channel but it sounded to darth vader-y (Ya know, crucnhy, dark scooped "Fucckkk yeahhhhhhhhhhhh metal up your ass, bitches" sorta sound) it couldnt do old metal anthems easily. Driving it harder spread the sound out a bit.
Anyone looking for one though needs to be recording and playing seriously IMO.
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
^ aye, try it. Just make sure to try other high gain amps at the same time (of a similar price).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I would just get a nice fender amp and put the clean channel on and hook in a krank distortus maximus. I hear you can get some really nice tones with that pedal.
Hi.

I'm like..so cool

Quote by ?øXÍÇÍ?¥

Cheesemuffin > les paul

Runner Up for best guitarist...

Meh better than nothing