My uncle had some pickups he bought a while ago, when he bought them he was told they were Gibson '57 Classic reissue pickups, and they came in the appropriate box. He never used them and now I sold them on ebay for him. The person I sold them to emailed me and said this:

" I received the pickup but the item is not a 57 Classic but rather a Modern 498T. The 57' Classic has a "Patent Applied For" decal on the back (see Gibson 57' photo) and has pole centers of 1-15/16". The pickup you shipped is stamped PAT NO 2,373,842 in the metal and has pole centers of 2-1/8". I spoke with Gibson at length today confirming these specifications. You ad clearly stated this was a 57' Classic. I am requesting a full refund plus return shipping for this item immediately."

I searched google and after a while found a site that confirmed what he said, that my pickups with the stamped patent number were 498t's, but now I can't find it anymore.

So I refunded him and got the pickups back and sold them again, listing them as 498t's, because that is what this guy, another website and supposedly Gibson said. Now I have a paypal dispute from a guy who says they are epiphone pickups, and he wants his money back.

Somebody tell me what pickups these are so they can stop giving me trouble.

Tell that guy he doesn't know shit.

Also get an ohm meter and find out the Resistance of the pickups, the 498's have a different resistance than epi's. They have a chart on Gibson's website that should have the pup specs.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
I can't measure the ohm's now, they're in the hands of an angry customer...

I told my uncle to measure the ohms but he told me he couldn't, don't know why.
so if you know that they are 57 classics then tell the guy you bought them from that you want your money back. or you want him to give you 57 classics. theres not much you can do. its not big enouph to really go to court over it. just try making a deal with him.
Quote by rocknrollgod
so if you know that they are 57 classics then tell the guy you bought them from that you want your money back. or you want him to give you 57 classics. theres not much you can do. its not big enouph to really go to court over it. just try making a deal with him.

....thanks for reading my post and answering my question. I think you missed part of it, though.
The guy sent another email to me which says this:

"I recieved the pickups yesterday. THese are not Gibson Pick-ups. I even took them over to a professional and he told me that they look to be Epiphone pick-ups. He even pulled out an Epi Pick-up and showed me. He said that Gibsons are marked on the back with Gibson USA and have some sort of marking on them discribing what they are.
I have in the mean time opened a dispute through paypal and will be returning these to you because i have no use for them. "

So his claim is based on the opinion of one "professional".