I found an rp3 multi-fx pedal from craigslist with manual and I haven't figured out what the harmonizer do. The parameters avaliable are:

TYPE- major, minor, harmonic minor, dorian,mixolydian, and blues.

AMOUNT- of pitch shifting from 0 down to 0 up (1-3-5-6-7-8)

KEY/BEND- Ab to G

What does these do??
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Don't know that brand, but harmonizers can be really cool. To hear what you can do, listen to David Bowie's "Fame". They basically keep the integrity of the original input, but allow you to step up/down an octave or more, and remain in tune. It's kind of like a true chorus. Mainly used on vocals to make people like Madonna and Paula Abdul sound like they can actually sing. Play with it.
So to play D dorian I set the harmonizer to dorian and set the key to D, then play with the amount?

It's a digitech rp3.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
If I was just playing around with it, I'd set it to another mode within the same key [so if you were playing D dorian, then A minor] and maybe move the pitch up, to make it harmoize the D dorian you're playing. Just a thought though..
Harmonizers suck. Do it manually with overdubbing. That's the only way to keep a good sound going.
"Chuck-E-Cheese called. They want their band back."
ive always wanted one, after hearing steve vai use them in a few of his songs, they seem like they would be fun to mess around with
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
I get what you guys are saying. If playing in D dorian put it on A minor and set the pitch to 5 (up or down) making it a fifth as one way to do it.

Sounds like fun.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by OldRocker
I get what you guys are saying. If playing in D dorian put it on A minor and set the pitch to 5 (up or down) making it a fifth as one way to do it.

Sounds like fun.

So the tooth fairy did make you rich and you bought that?

You should try out a pedal with intelligent harmonizing thing one time, it either works or doesn't work at all, but it's great fun.
Quote by God Am
Harmonizers suck. Do it manually with overdubbing. That's the only way to keep a good sound going.

That's fine for the studio but you need one of these things to do the harmonies live unless there are other guitar players in the band.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Quote by fatgraymatt
That's fine for the studio but you need one of these things to do the harmonies live unless there are other guitar players in the band.

Tell that to Brian May, pal.
"Chuck-E-Cheese called. They want their band back."
Quote by Invictious
So the tooth fairy did make you rich and you bought that?

Are you kidding? I paid $120 to get a broken tooth pulled about two weeks ago. My dentist's the one that's getting rich from the tooth fairies.

I paid $70 for the pedal from craigslist. Guy claims it's still new and still in box. Even the power supply has its own box. There also was a sticker on the rp3 box that says Dec 1999 and priced $299.99. They did look new and nothing smelled burnt so I bought it. I'm glad I did. This thing's the shlt.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
yeah harmonizers are ok, but if you listen to most harmonised parts in recordings most players play over themselves because it sounds better if they are not excatly in time. But some people ues it on purpose to sound artificially harmonised which is ok. And for live you would need one unless
a- you are very good and can somehow harmonise by yourself
or b - you have a good guitar player with you who can match your parts excatly (like Paul Gilbert did when he was in Racer X)
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Quote by OldRocker
Are you kidding? I paid $120 to get a broken tooth pulled about two weeks ago. My dentist's the one that's getting rich from the tooth fairies.

I paid $70 for the pedal from craigslist. Guy claims it's still new and still in box. Even the power supply has its own box. There also was a sticker on the rp3 box that says Dec 1999 and priced $299.99. They did look new and nothing smelled burnt so I bought it. I'm glad I did. This thing's the shlt.

Broken tooth?

Well if you are guitar swinging and it broke your teeth..
if it's decay, just because you rock 'n roll (go 70s!) doesn't mean you can't brush your teeth.
does a harmonizer keep the original signal intact and place the harmonized signal as a kinda background symphony effect?
Marty
The harmonizer on mine is weird. I experimented with it playing same riffs over after changing eack key. I can hear the "center" shifted with different keys. When I changed the offsets I'm not getting much out of it. Just weird stuff. I probably won't play with it. At least I can use the pitch modulations on this pedal.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+