My uncle had some pickups he bought a while ago, when he bought them he was told they were Gibson '57 Classic reissue pickups, and they came in the appropriate box. He never used them and now I sold them on ebay for him. The person I sold them to emailed me and said this:

" I received the pickup but the item is not a 57 Classic but rather a Modern 498T. The 57' Classic has a "Patent Applied For" decal on the back (see Gibson 57' photo) and has pole centers of 1-15/16". The pickup you shipped is stamped PAT NO 2,373,842 in the metal and has pole centers of 2-1/8". I spoke with Gibson at length today confirming these specifications. You ad clearly stated this was a 57' Classic. I am requesting a full refund plus return shipping for this item immediately."

I searched google and after a while found a site that confirmed what he said, that my pickups with the stamped patent number were 498t's, but now I can't find it anymore.

So I refunded him and got the pickups back and sold them again, listing them as 498t's, because that is what this guy, another website and supposedly Gibson said. Now I have a paypal dispute from a guy who says they are epiphone pickups, and he wants his money back.

Somebody tell me what pickups these are so they can stop giving me trouble.

He quibbling over Gibson/Epiphone... There isn't really a great difference IMO... You shoudl give him his money back take the pickups back and tell him to shove it for being an asshole... He shoulda look properly fuirst before buying it.
that pickup is a gibson pickup. it is know famously as the gibosn 57' classic plus. used as the standard gibson humbucker from 1957 till present day and well on into the future.

oh and about the special pattent marker on the 57 classics they have them but the 57 classic plus dont.
Quote by rocknrollgod
that pickup is a gibson pickup. it is know famously as the gibosn 57' classic plus. used as the standard gibson humbucker from 1957 till present day and well on into the future.

oh and about the special pattent marker on the 57 classics they have them but the 57 classic plus dont.

So is this a classic plus?

I really need some proof of what this is so I can end the dispute with the buyer, otherwise I'll need to take it back, and then I'll need to know what it is so I can sell it again and not need to give a refund for the 3rd time.
well yes and no. it is a classic but technically its a 57 classic plus. a beefier sounding version of the 57 classic.

in simple terms, the 57 classic goes into les pauls. the 57 classic plus is used in SGs thats why they are more hardcore sounding.
Last edited by rocknrollgod at Aug 21, 2006,
you can get hard proof by getting the info on it from the patent office, thats the best proof you can get. oh and give both buyers negative feedback because they are both lying to you.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
According to another source that patent number is actually for a bridge tailpeice.

Now rocknrollgod, are you absolutely sure that these are 57 classic pluses? How so? How do I prove it?
The buyer just sent me an email which says this:

"I recieved the pickups yesterday. THese are not Gibson Pick-ups. I even took them over to a professional and he told me that they look to be Epiphone pick-ups. He even pulled out an Epi Pick-up and showed me. He said that Gibsons are marked on the back with Gibson USA and have some sort of marking on them discribing what they are.
I have in the mean time opened a dispute through paypal and will be returning these to you because i have no use for them. "

So right now this is pretty much one guy's opinion against someone elses. Can anyone give me some verifiable facts about these pickups vs epiphone?
here compare these picks to yours.

notice the wires are not wraped together like yours. the pick i put up is of epiphone humbuckers. yours are gibson. you can even tell by the screws and the brackets. epihone uses a goldish colored back plate. thats why the brakets are gold not silver. gibsons always have matching backs.

also notice how the edges of these are more rounded than the pics of the ones you have.

yours are gibsons