What does Sustainer do? i've heard of jackson sustainiac and fernandes something. Worth the price?
It basicly uses the signal from the bridge pickup and uses the sustainer pickup (the one you buy and put in the neck position) to keep the strings vibrating, for infinate sustain. It's worth the price if you would use it enough. (If you want a song that a sustainer is used in, listen to "whispering a prayer" by Vai, the whole song is dependant on the sustainer).
My gear:
OLP John Petrucci Sig.
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Mesa/Boogie .50 Caliber+ 112
^ No, it accually takes up the neck pickup slot(or at least one coil) so you could either pair it with another single coil(or single coil size humbucker) or just put in a dummy cover(which is used often), but you can use it with any other pickup combo, but from what I know, it works best with the bridge pickup.
My gear:
OLP John Petrucci Sig.
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Mesa/Boogie .50 Caliber+ 112
okay, but say you had it installed in the neck, but your playing on the original bridge pickup.

would the sustainer still work?
^^probably. the jackson with sustaniac has a knob and two switches that usual jacksons don't... for regulating the sustaniac i think.
The Sustainiac on my Hamer has two switches.
One switch is an on/off the second gives you 3 harmonic settings.
say you had a Fernandez sustainer installed in the neck, but your playing on the original bridge pickup.

would the sustainer still work?
On fernandes guitars

when the sustainer switch is activated, the neck pickup(which is the sustainer pickup) is automatically selected. and the regular toggle switch is disengaged. so if you want to use the sustainer you can only use the pickup which is the sustainer pickup. when you turn off the sustainer switch, the regular toggle works normally and you can use either pickup in a regular fashion.
Theres a USA Hamer Chapparal for sale on ebay at the moment with a sustainiac in it.
Hamer USA Chapparal Custom, scalloped fretboard & Sustainiac
Hamer USA Chapparal Elite, Dragon Snakeskin finish
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Mesa 50/50 Stereo Power Amp
Laney 4x12 Cab
Here's my story... I want a guitar with an EMG in the bridge position and a Fernandes sustainer in it (the neck obviously...) but I don't understand it fully yet... When I have the EMG selected and the sustainer on will I just get the EMG tone with infinite sustain or will it automatically select the sustainer pickup and have that tone with infinite sustain?

EMG + infinite sustain
OR
Fernandes pickup + infinite sustain?
Originally posted by WlCmToTheJungle "you have just received the amish computer virus. Since the amish dont have computers it's based on there honor system so please delete all of your files immediatly. thank you
Anybody know?
Originally posted by WlCmToTheJungle "you have just received the amish computer virus. Since the amish dont have computers it's based on there honor system so please delete all of your files immediatly. thank you
iv e got a fernandes ravelle with the sustainer. basically it a neck humbucker like any other except when you flick a switch it activates the circut, there are 2 modes sustain which does as it says on the tin and feed back which gives perfect harmonic feedback. the sustain mode os good for violining and swells but i havent used it for much else and the feedback is what it says except you have more control over it. It needs a 9v battery and neither pup will work without it i have a seymour duncan jb in the bridge. i have decided to take it out and replace it with a sd jazz neck as rthe battery doesnt last long and it gives a raspy overtone when it starts to go imo not really worth it.
What the ancients called a clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease.

Sun Tsu, The Art OF War
sorry meant to sat sustainer on = fernandes pickup even if if bridge pup is selected turning it on kills the bridge pup
What the ancients called a clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease.

Sun Tsu, The Art OF War