Page 1 of 4
right now i have an agile 2500 silverburst and i managed to re-route it and put a sd jb in the bridge.......and for my amp i got an marshall avt20x.......i now am upgrading my gear its just i dont know what to get first

the guitar im going to get is

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-James-Hetfield-LTD-Truckster-Electric-Guitar?sku=512025

and the amp im going to get is

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-MH500-Metalhead-Guitar-Amp?sku=480869

along with an mh-412 cabinet

it comes out to being really expensive but ive been saving my cash for a while and i now have got 900 bucks.......so i have to choose wich one first.......i think these will suite me for the rest of my life.......the guitar comes with a lifetime warranty so its a good buy
i agree, dont get that amp lol

But I say get the guitar first. because its easier to feel for an amp than it is for a guitar.

But like people say, it depends on the occasion, if gigging then guitar first.
ESP LTD Viper-50
Dean AK48
Marshall MG-15
Peavey Sheffield 4x12
Peavey Transtube Supreme Head
Zoom 505 II
Quote by El Codyo
I would personally stay far away from the Fender Metalhead, 550 watts of solid gimmick.

why would you do that??? have you played it b4??
Unless your playing a freckin' stadium you probably won't need 550 watts of solid power kind of what El Codyo said. I would upgrade your amp first, and unless your positive on that amp then I would say take a look at some other amps in that price range. Most of your tone comes from your amp anyways.
Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Strat
Laguna LG300CE Acoustic Electric
no i dont gig now but my bands going to do sum shows soon..........but i wouldnt wanna upgrade my avt20x........it buzzes to much......even when the gains halfway so its horrible for giging.......and from the reviews the metal head seems to blow every other amp i was looking at away.........but it doesnt say it has tubes in it..........so what could make it sound so good?? cuz from the reviews it suposubley does
I wouldn't get either of those, personally, and especially not that amp... I mean, for that money, you could get a decent tube amp that'd sound a lot better. Maybe not that much volume, but that looks like way too much volume, more than you'd likely ever use. Even at big gigs, they usually have a good pa at the bigger places, which means they'd mic you and you still wouldn't need that much volume. I say almost always go for tone above sheer volume.

But, since you're gonna be gigging, you'll need some volume, more than a practice amp, and you're not gonna get that volume with a new guitar, so go for an amp first. at least a 212, if not a 410 or 412. and if you're gonna spend around 1000 dollars on it, go ahead and get somethin tube and real nice sounding, you won't regret it.

[edit] as an amp suggestion, look at Traynor... I forget the exact name of the amp, but it's the 410, 8watt tube. It's only about 800, and plenty of volume for gigging.
I have an addiction...

Les Paul style DeArmond
Danelectro baritone
Rickenbacker 360/12
defretted Strat
lap steel
Yamaha CP-70
Yamaha P-90
Kay archtop
Kay Tenor Banjo
Oud
Sitar
Harmonium
Melodica
Cello

http://www.myspace.com/hi9
Last edited by Hi9 at Aug 21, 2006,
wow dont get that amp. but get an amp first.

a nice traynor blue 50 tube combo. then ull have money left over for another guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
thanks for the help man and but i think this is a good amp.....personally i play metal and i love doing solos and this sounds like its built to give me that special tone i desire.......and if i dont like it.......ill just take it back........get a refund......and go for sumthen else but yauh man thanks again for your help..........but i still dont know which one to buy first lol
1.if ur spending over $600usd. u should be looking at a tube amp.
2. if u play metal u should be looking at tube marshall, traynor blue, peavey or better.
cleans u play fender.
3. tube watts are more than double solid state. and like said, unless ur playing a stadium, thats an insane amount there. 50 tube watts is even much more than needed in the home.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Dude you should be more open to other amp options and don't go by just the reviews on the internet. Try some amps out in a store if possible.
Stubborn are we?

First of all, that amp is sh*t. 550w? What the hell would you ever use that for? Don't be a n00b and buy it just because it has "metalhead" in the name. If you're looking to spend that much money you should really know better and not just be buying into some gimmick amp geared towards wanna-be metal heads.
Like others have said, if you're looking to upgrade your amp, GO TUBE!!! A 50w tube combo is more than enough power for anything you could do any time soon.

Second, that guitar isn't much better. A signature guitar? C'mon. You would be much better off getting a nice guitar that you make your own. Don't just imitate other artists. A better option would be an Ibanez or a regular ESP. You can get a much better guitar that way, and not be charged out the yingyang for the artist's name and special paint job.

That's my advice, as well as the advice of other users in this thread repeated because you wouldn't hear it the first time. I really suggest you listen to it.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Xenn99
Stubborn are we?

First of all, that amp is sh*t. 550w? What the hell would you ever use that for? Don't be a n00b and buy it just because it has "metalhead" in the name. If you're looking to spend that much money you should really know better and not just be buying into some gimmick amp geared towards wanna-be metal heads.
Like others have said, if you're looking to upgrade your amp, GO TUBE!!! A 50w tube combo is more than enough power for anything you could do any time soon.

Second, that guitar isn't much better. A signature guitar? C'mon. You would be much better off getting a nice guitar that you make your own. Don't just imitate other artists. A better option would be an Ibanez or a regular ESP. You can get a much better guitar that way, and not be charged out the yingyang for the artist's name and special paint job.

That's my advice, as well as the advice of other users in this thread repeated because you wouldn't hear it the first time. I really suggest you listen to it.

first off im not buying that guitar because it has james hetfield name on it.......i didnt even knew who the F he was til i looked it up and relized oh thats the singer for metallica.......i only was intersested in it because i like the pickup set in it and the color was cool...............and now for the amp.......im not getting it cuz it has metalhead name and im not a F-ing metal head wana be either.......i read about it and even called a couple of guitar stores who just got it in and said they were really impressed with it and that it blows other amps in the price range away........so b4 u go and become an a$$hole not that you already have and call me an F-ing noob get your facts straight buddy
Hahahahahahahahaha.

:rollsonthefloor:

You didn't know who JAMES HETFIELD was?!

I'm not a metal fanatic nor do I obsess over metallica, but you my friend have sunken to a new low.

I can't believe this.

Oh, and have you tried the guitar/tried it through the amp you were looking at? Again I must ask...WHY DO YOU NEED 550WATTS! Get a tube, you'll be glad. You...do not...need...550 watts.
Quote by fredthecat
Oh, you caught me, I'm just a pseudo-intellectual 7th grader.
1. i dont listen to metallica......and i dont need 550 watts....i just need a good quality amp in the price range and from what ive asked from guys who work at guitar stores its really good.....
A good quality amp in the price range would be a tube amp. Quite a good one for the price of that fender amp!
Quote by fredthecat
i posted this thread to ask which i should buy first my guitar or my amp......and so far all of you have been yelling at me to get a damn tube amp when ive already decided on an amp that im gonna buy......jeus man come on people your not answering any of my questions your just arguing with me.......and no im not trying to be stubborn im just trying to see what i should get first cuz i only have 900 bucks at the moment.......and if any1 could help me out thatd be great.....thanks again
Last edited by jezjr48 at Aug 21, 2006,
Quote by jezjr48
first off im not buying that guitar because it has james hetfield name on it.......i didnt even knew who the F he was til i looked it up and relized oh thats the singer for metallica.......i only was intersested in it because i like the pickup set in it and the color was cool...............and now for the amp.......im not getting it cuz it has metalhead name and im not a F-ing metal head wana be either.......i read about it and even called a couple of guitar stores who just got it in and said they were really impressed with it and that it blows other amps in the price range away........so b4 u go and become an a$$hole not that you already have and call me an F-ing noob get your facts straight buddy

Aww...Did someone wake up on the wrong side of their mother this morning?

I tried to give you helpful advice to hopefully prevent you from getting a crappy n00b amp and a crappy, overpriced guitar.

Also, you claim to play metal and don't know who Metallica is? Let me guess...your idea of "metal" is Korn and Slipknot, right?

You know what? I honestly don't care now. Go blow all of your savings on crappy gear. Then, when you're back here in three months asking what to get because you can't stand the gear you have, just remember that I TOLD YOU SO.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I'm sorry but we can't let you get that amp. We want to help you. It is not the amp you should get, no matter what the guys at the guitar stores say. They want your money. You can get a better amp for that price, maybe even lower. I'm telling you as someone who wants you to get the best out of guitar- do not buy that amp.
Quote by fredthecat
Well, if you don't won't to listen to other's advice and you are set on buying that amp and that guitar, then why ask in the first place? Good luck to you!
Quote by Xenn99
Aww...Did someone wake up on the wrong side of their mother this morning?

I tried to give you helpful advice to hopefully prevent you from getting a crappy n00b amp and a crappy, overpriced guitar.

Also, you claim to play metal and don't know who Metallica is? Let me guess...your idea of "metal" is Korn and Slipknot, right?

You know what? I honestly don't care now. Go blow all of your savings on crappy gear. Then, when you're back here in three months asking what to get because you can't stand the gear you have, just remember that I TOLD YOU SO.

giving helpful advice would not be by saying im a noob and saying that im only getting sumthing cuz of its name........YOU HAVE BEEN PROMOTED TO THE BIGGEST A$$HOLE ON EARTH!!! and i do play metal mostly godsmack and iron maiden........yes i know who metallica is......but do i like them enough to find out who all the band member are???? NO!!.......and the F-ing amp is not bad at all i tried it out at a store and it sounded great........and saying that i woke up on the wrong side of mother.......wow you really are a D#CK!!.....and korn and slipnot?? i hate them..........and that guitar def is good quality cuz it comes with a LIFETIME WARRANTY!!!..........SO BEFORE YOU RUN YOUR PU$$Y A$$ mouth and talk sh#t............once again..............GET YOUR F-ING FACTS STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!!!
What bands do your band sound most like Jezjr ?????
Quote by flyingjew34
Practice Practice Practice man. You can't get better at anything without practice. Oh, and mustard too.

I play like I'm breaking out of jail.

--Stevie Ray Vaughan
I think you should replace the amp first. I think that is where you will see the most improvement.
thanks fireman finally someone who helped answer my original question that this damn thread was posted for
I agree, I think you should replace the amp and look at a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier...its a little more expensive but it is a very good head.
Quote by flyingjew34
Practice Practice Practice man. You can't get better at anything without practice. Oh, and mustard too.

I play like I'm breaking out of jail.

--Stevie Ray Vaughan
Oh, for anyone who would like a translation of whatever that guy just rambled on about:

giving helpful advice would not be by saying im a noob and im only getting sumthing cuz of its name........YOU HAVE BEEN PROMOTED TO THE BIGGEST A$$HOLE ON EARTH!!! and i do play metal mostly godsmack and iron maiden........yes i know who metallica is......but do i like them enough to find out who all the band member are???? NO!!.......and the F-ing amp is not bad at all i tried it out at a store and it sounded great........and saying that i woke up on the wrong side of mother.......wow you really are a D#CK!!.....and korn and slipnot?? i hate them..........and that guitar def is good quality cuz it comes with a LIFETIME WARRANTY!!!..........SO BEFORE YOU RUN YOUR PU$$Y A$$ mouth and talk sh#t............once again..............GET YOUR F-ING FACTS STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

Translation:

Giving helpful advice would not be saying, "You're a noob!" or "You're only getting that because of its name...". blah blah, ramble ramble... I do play metal, mostly Godsmack and Iron Maiden and I know who Metallica is, but I don't like them enough to find out who all the band members are. The amp isn't bad at all, I tried it out at a store and it sounded great! Saying I woke up on the wrong side of my mother was uncalled for, you are a penis. I hate Korn and Slipknot. That guitar is good because of the lifetime warranty. So, before you start talking with your vagina ass shaped mouth and talk fesces to me, get your facts straight.

Haha. You don't listen to our advice AND you can't spell. Smells like noob, sounds like a noob...MUST be a noob.

I never said the amp was bad either, its just you really shouldn't get it. There are better amps out there, ones that will suit you just fine. Tube is better than solid state
and will suffice for practice too.
Quote by fredthecat
mate, a guitar store will natrally say that about thier amps most of the time. my advice to you would be to leave your guitar alone for now, you have a very nice guitar at the moment. if your looking to play metal then play a few tube combos, as said before marshall(not MG or Valvestate) a DSL would probably suit you well, tranyor 50 blue with an overdrive should work pretty well, as would Peavy XXX or a 5150 if you can afford one, play every amp you can. and dont trust the reviews or store employees all the time, trust your ears and UG.
John Frusciante
member #1 of the John Frusciante and Red Hot Chili Peppers UG fanclub PM samlynch to join
JIMI HENDRIX
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
John Petrucci
SRV
What you've been posting has contained overall bad grammar and spelling. Too much bull in between and run on sentences galore.

About metallica- You don't really have to like the band enough to know who their members are...they're some of the biggest musicians in metal history.

Get back on topic and stop reflaming us. Expect plenty of different kinds of feedback when posting here. Expect that most of the people here are more intelligent about gear than you ever will be.

You do not need the Fender Metal Head. You can get a better amp for the 900 dollars (or cheaper! you'll be able to afford a guitar along with it!) you think you need to spend. Find a tube combo or head + a cab and you're set. Go to stores and try out different combinations of heads and cabs if they'll let you. Just try everything.
Quote by fredthecat
listen man...........i dont need your advice.......i looked at other amps........tried out jcm800s and vox's and line 6's and i found that this amp suits me the best.......yauh ive tried lots of tube amps at the store and it all comes down to my personal taste and i like this the best.....so please man dont give me anymore advice ive already looked at everything
1. i said get the amp first. i think about 6 people said that.
2. i didnt call u a n00b. i never call anyone a n00b. and i dont care who u know or dont know.
3. i stand by my recommendation, based on over 10yrs experience.
4. get what u want, but understand that, guys in most any guitar shop work on commission.
good luck.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

JCM800s, VOXs and Line 6s aren't everything.

EDIT

Plus, why wouldn't something by Fender called "metalhead" be a gimmick? Haha. Think about that for a second.
Quote by fredthecat
do u want me to list all the amps at the store i tried?? trust me ive tried most of the best stuff and i like this the best......
Alright, list everything you've tried.
Quote by fredthecat
i would know its a gimmik if i tried it at a store and it sounded like ****........but i tried it and it sounds better than anything in its price range and below....so its not
Alright man, whatever you say. Buy the Fender.

I said it was a gimmick because I KNOW it is a gimmick. Fender put METAL on an amp, so that they'll make money off of the name, and the fact that new metalheads think they need 550 watts of power to sound good.
Quote by fredthecat
Dude, just let it go. I think in a roundabout way, everyone is telling you to get an amp first. They just don't like your choice. You have to be happy with it, not me or anyone else. I stand by my earlier comment. As long as there are no problems with your guitar forcing immediate replacement, get the amp first. I really believe that you will see the biggest difference there.
Page 1 of 4