I plan on building myself a guitar, Im not a compleat noob, I know (some what) what I am doing but have 2 questions before I even start. 1. is Red Oak a good guitar wood 2. how hard is it to make your own neck?

right now i have abosultly no money, the reason i ask about the red oak is because I may be able to get a piece for free, other wise I'll get walnut.
Quote by bambi_slaughter

how do you get a baby in a tupperwear container?
use the blender.
how do you get it out again?
tostitos.
expeirament (sp?) with the red oak if u can get it free. I've never heard of it for a tonewod so i dont know how it will sound but you just might find something new you like. If your not feeling risky though stick with the walnut
Member 3 of the FINAL FANTASY VII club.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
^Red Oak, If I'm assuming is somewhat similar to Oak (God I sound stupid.), Then No, Because it's far too dense... Ever tried cutting through Oak with an axe? It's incredible dense. And if you're building your first guitar, it would be best to go with buying a neck. Neck building is a very precise sort of thing......
Quote by Vornik
There's nothing illogical about slavery.
any maple is a hard wood. Be prepared to spend many hours hand-sanding it. Making your own neck isn't too hard, you've just gotta be prepared to spend time on it. Hand-building guitars isn't hard but you just need to be prepared to have patience. Expect to spend about 5-8 hours making your neck (including radiusing and setting)
Native Pride

Better to reign in hell

Member of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join, luthier's only
Member of The Future Embrace, UG's Billy Corgan/Smashing Pumpkins fan club. PM musiclover2399 to join .
thanks guys, I'll keep you posted on my progress
Quote by bambi_slaughter

use the blender.
tostitos.
Haha. Oak would be a cool guitar body. That's what Brian May of Queen used.
But I've heard it doesn't really have good resonant properties. [shrugs]
Quote by forsaknazrael
Haha. Oak would be a cool guitar body. That's what Brian May of Queen used.
But I've heard it doesn't really have good resonant properties. [shrugs]

Yeah. The Red Special was a semi-hollow I think, so that took care of the resonence.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
actually I know for a fact that they use red oak in.......hardwood flooring. Ive never heard of it as tonewood. But hey if you can get it for free they by all means, go for it.
^ and send me some....lol- jk

but id do it- personally i think its would be a good experiment- for maybe you should buy a neck thru and put on red oak wings.... idk- just an idea
[quote="tongue untied- for maybe you should buy a neck thru and put on red oak wings.... idk- just an idea[/QUOTE"]

how hard would that be? and how would I secure the pieces of wood? would just useing glue be strong enough?
Quote by bambi_slaughter

use the blender.
tostitos.
new plan

i cant get the red oak for free. what I can get is partical board. so, I'm going to experiment with that
i plan on useing one pickup in the bridge position, a seymore duncan SH-13 dimebucker, no vol. or tone pots, since i dont use either. i can do that right? just go right from the pickup to the jack?
Quote by bambi_slaughter

use the blender.
tostitos.
HOLY SHIT. By no means should you use partical board, ever. You will have about the same tone and sustain as stringing up your grandma's panties and trying to play with that. You would be better off saving up and buying some real decent tone wood. You can get some for a reasonable amount, and it will be worth more when your finished. But if you dont have a volume or tone knob you will have to turn your guitar up from your amp. I would say alteast put in one volume knob. But please, for the love of god, buy some good wood.
you know anywhere i can buy a good tone wood? (i want big 1 piece)
Quote by bambi_slaughter

use the blender.
tostitos.
yeah dont use oak even if you can get it for free... if you plan on actually playing it go with somethign from the links above...alder isnt too expensive and neither is ash (swamp ash is very expensive though)