now, before you get any ideas, i'm not messing around with the electronics.

i just got a used peavey bravo 112 and, well, it's ugly. so i'm gonna make it into a head and a 2x12 cab. it's fairly straightforward, a good amp to do it on, too.

plan:

1) take all the guts out.

2) build a box; my dad had a bunch of 1" MDF from a previous project, so i'm gonna use that. it'll be 19 inches wide, 7 inches tall, and 11 inches deep.
EDIT: i'm using poplar instead

3) drill the holes for the guts. this is the tricky part, you have to get it just right or it won't go in.

4) mount the electronics and the reverb tank.

5) cover it; i selected some shiny blue fabric that my mom had scraps out of.
EDIT: since it's so pretty, i'm gonna leave it natural and just polyurethane it.

and i think that's it!

i know it's not big or huge or extremely hard, but it'll be fun.

pics later.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Last edited by tubab0y at Aug 26, 2006,
should be interesting, ill be waiting
Nicks and dents are battle scars...they give a guitar history.

Quote by Homer Simpson
When you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
to turn it into a head, do you just take the wires going to the speakers and run them to an output jack?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
would you use a stereo jack or a mono jack? and could you increase the wattage?
(sorry for all the noobish questions)
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
if the head case is made of plastic, would i have to cover the inside with foil? (like you would have to with a pedal)
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
I'm not sure.. Why not make a thread about it and not steal this guy's thread. Lol.
These go to eleven...
yeah, stop stealing my thread. and anyways, my amp already had it wired so that it was a mono speaker jack from the speaker to an output jack; dunno why, but it made my life easier.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
sorry for stealin it. i'll be quiet now *cries on the inside*
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
*sniffels*
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
well, i got the wood, and it's beautiful. it's poplar, and it's got a beautiful grain. i'll put up pics once my camera starts working...i'm gonna leave it natural.

and yes, it's better than mdf.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Bump! I know there's a rule against bumping old threads but this is still going on.

EDIT: shoot me, it's been a year since I started this. Wow.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Pictures? This seems like a cool idea ^-^
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
would you be able to help me rebuild my peavey studio pro 50 to a head and make a 4x12 cab?
heavy support of A7X army pm Copius
Quote by spl3001
I think we can all really agree that nothing is more metal than playing a Telecaster....On fire.

Quote by GiantRaven
The rest of the album is brilliant but that one song just really gets right on my tits for some reason
I could walk you through it, yeah. And I'll do pics tomorrow, and I went back to a 112 combo, since I decided the sheffield was total crap and I'm just gonna use the eminence.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
^^+2

I have always wondered about how cabs work.... specially when you think bafflewise.

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
Awesome idea man, Might have to try it myself =]
I Love Oreos, And im English =D
Quote by Ippon
And detailed step-by-step for the cab!

+3

Wheres pics?
I Love Oreos, And im English =D
Go for it tuba Like the 1" MDF... thats massive
"I never liked those Deep Purples or those sort of things. I always hated it. I always thought it was a poor man’s Led Zeppelin"
// Angus Young

+1