Hey guys,
Just wonderin' what your opinion on the Ibanez S2170FBNTF is..
Guitar center just special ordered one, and I'm going down to play it tomorrow and possibly purchase...

can someone give me a technical explanation on exactly how the ZR trem works? (i alread know that it works on ball bearings instead of knife edges, but what else seperates it from a traditional edge/floyd.)

also:
Does the S have enough features to constitute the $1,200 price tag?
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Quote by CustomCustom
Its worth it my friend

I see you have a similar model to what i'm looking at (the only difference is the numbers after S, but the 2170 has a bubinga top as well)

but can you be more detailed?
They have the same guitar at my store for $1600

The ZR trem is super smooth but doesnt have as much range as an OFR.
Quote by DoTheEvolution
It's worse pissing when you come in from the really cold weather and your penis has shrunken to the size of a coffee stir straw and the piss feels like the blast from a super soaker.
Quote by Striketalonx

I see you have a similar model to what i'm looking at (the only difference is the numbers after S, but the 2170 has a bubinga top as well)

but can you be more detailed?
I believe mines a 1999-2001 model its the brown/reddish bubinga top and nothing plays like a Prestige Wizard neck, check out the 2nd solo in the DMusic link in my sig, no problems flying on the wizard for sure
Quote by altarofdemise
They have the same guitar at my store for $1600

The ZR trem is super smooth but doesnt have as much range as an OFR.

How much of a cut in range is it?
Herman Li of Dragonforce is one of the guys i know uses the S prestige
and he seems to get insane range out of his...
The ZR probably has string-breaking range. But I dunno, it's supposed to be super advanced.

And the thing in the back adjusts tension, in case you're wondering.
S prestige is basically the same guitar as the other S's but with a nicer top and nicer build construction/better QC. The pups iirc are still pretty deplorable.
haha
i dunno metal, if they're the QM series, they'll be good for anything up to hard rock and including some shred. also depends on what amp the threadstarter is playing through.
Ovation Celebrity
MIJ STRAT
Ibanez Prestige S1220WNF
modded Ibanez GAX75
Fender tuner-DIGITECH EX-7-BOSS SD1-Ibanez CF7-Tech 21 TM 60
(LOOP)Boss DD20(Loop)
My soundclick page
S2170

Also, I went on to jemsite.com and I noticed you can take of the zero point device, so it acts just like a typical floating trem.
Would this eliminate the range issue?
Quote by Striketalonx
S2170

Also, I went on to jemsite.com and I noticed you can take of the zero point device, so it acts just like a typical floating trem.
Would this eliminate the range issue?

nope it wont. apparently (could be true) its because of the size of the body that restricts the range of the tremolo
S prestige gutiars are nice but i'd try them first because the new ones are made in korea now, The zr tremolo is a good trem, Dimarzio/ibz pupz (IMO) are very nice versitile pickups, some people dont like them because omgz not hot enough but they are nice pickups and ARE real dimarzios not dimarzio designed. The only thing to worry about is that the new s prestiges are korean made so the quality might not be as good as rg prestiges but it still should be of a reasonable quality. The older s prestiges sell on ebay for bargain prices all the time these have the lo pro edge i think which is a very nice trem and are made in japan.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Oh psh, quality is good, but there's nothing worth $1200 in the 2170. The finishes look cuter in person than on the pictures, but save for the finishes, there's a miniscule amount of difference between 2170 and 470 (I am pretty sure they're even made on the same factory).

ZR is a great trem, and it also comes standard on S470 (some info on my experiences with it in my sig). Pickups are clear, medium output, and very generic sounding. Five people out of ten will never even feel the need to swap them, while the other five might cringe at their bland tone.

I second the "get a S1520 on ebay for coins", or even "get a S540 on ebay for even less" idea - you'll get a disproportionally better deal.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
the older s are way better than today. japanese quality beats them in all ways.
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.