I have a chance to buy a Gibson SG Standard for $400. It's not an Epi and all indications point to it being a quality piece? Thoughts?

What should I be concerned about when getting a deal like this?
Quote by chipsahoy
You don't like the smell of some other guy's poop? Hmmm...smells like home to me.
Why he is selling it for so cheap.
Quote by DoTheEvolution
It's worse pissing when you come in from the really cold weather and your penis has shrunken to the size of a coffee stir straw and the piss feels like the blast from a super soaker.
its crappy? factory defect?
Quote by tubab0y
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar. If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

Are you sure of what you're buying cause...
Brokeback Lego - Animation Movie I Made

Quote by \GuitarHero/
Our band mascot is a Muffin.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who aren't close-minded morons.
He's a good friend of mine from work and he's getting rid of it because he just bought a Custom guitar of some sort and has had a MIA Strat forever. He just doesn't play it anymore, so it's free cash and it saves him the trouble of shipping, eBay'ing, etc.

He's a good friend so I trust him not to rip me off.
Quote by chipsahoy
You don't like the smell of some other guy's poop? Hmmm...smells like home to me.
id say go for it then
Quote by happytimeharry
ig·no·rant

1. Lacking education or knowledge.
2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.
3. Unaware or uninformed.

also see: elitist asshat
here is something you might want to take in consideration
if it is too good to be true then it probaly isnt
why would he sell a perfectly good gibson that is gibson quality for 400 buks when it could be sold at roughly $1500-2000?
then there must be something wrong with it

Edit: ok after reading your other post then id say go for it
you also didnt say that it was used, thet cuts off a few hundred bucks as well
Last edited by the_man101 at Aug 21, 2006,
yeah plus him being your good buddy probably influanced the lower price as well, as opposed to selling it to a stranger.. If hes your good friend, and you work with him, i say go for it, if you find out its crap, wheres he gonna hide? lol..
Update!

I bought it for $500 with a case and two sets of strings thrown in. I am now the proud owner of a 2001 Gibson SG, midnight black with a dull black pickguard. It's killer, seriously. He had all the maintenance work done by this one tech who he's been going to for years, plus he had the guy do a checkup and tweak it a little when he took it in to replace the strings the last time.

I found out he's using the money to buy a PA since he used to gig with a friend who had one, but the other guy injured his arm and hasn't been able to play for about 6 months and my buddy is looking to do some of his own stuff.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Quote by chipsahoy