Hey im self taught and recently been learning some theory so i can expand my playing. Ive been studying your basic stuff such as chrod formation and scales and modes. I have a few questions and hope to get conformation from fellow posters.

1. I have found a chord that really interests me. This happens to be Fadd9 (xx3213). Now this is just F with a 9 added on top. My question/conformation is: can this be put in place of a regular F major in a chord progression as it is an F Major which is just expanded and does this go for other chords such as C7 rather than C etc?

2. When constructing a song, do you always have to start a chord progression and/or solo with respective key? If in E major, must first chord be E? Is this the same for solos?

3. Ive learned that the Aeolin mode is the minor for a respective key/scale. My question is: if i want to play a minor scale, do i find the respective minor from the key or if say in key of A can i just choose A minor?

4. Finally, do modes apply to all scales available? for example is an a minor pentatnic part of the aeolin mode or not? Does this only apply with pentatonics?

Help is greatly appreciated
2. no it doesn't have to start with e if the key is in e, also you can change the key throughout with the trusty play the 5th of the key in which your moving to.

3. if your in a minor you could use aminor scale and chord tones which are the notes in the chords you are playing use those as the note syou land on

4. minor pent is in the aeolin mode but the aeloin mode is not part of the pent, the minor pent is just an easy scale which have essecntially the strong notes in it with the minor scale the weak notes are in there too.
Gibson LesPaul Standard 1958 Custom Shop
Fender Stratocaster 70s Reissue
Charvel-Jackson Vintage Acoustic
Vox ac30
uh i dont a ton but im pretty sure to answer ur 4th question cause i sure dont know the answer to any other one, im pretty sure the regular modes u probably know dont apply to anything but major scales. stuff like harmonic minor and what not have different modes. not sure but major some dominate modes or w/e
1. Yes, they will fit, but they will sound different (obviously)
2. No
3. You find the respective minor. Anything else will require changing of the key.
4. I don't understand the question, but there can be modes of pentatonics, or if you mean something else, if you apply the minor pentatonic intervals (I, iii, IV, V, vii) to different modes, you get ethnic scales.
what i ment with question 4 is rather than using aeolin mode to play minors for say a solo, can you just find the respective minor and choose that. for example rather than using a aeoling could you simply just go to am pentatonic?
1. If it sounds good use it.

2. Nothing in music is "must". Your progression can start on any note/chord you want. A very common progession is II V I, thus not starting on the root note.

3. Finding the relative minor, assuming your song is major, and then playing the solo in that minor key would fit, its all the same notes with a different feel. If your song is minor to begin with, then you don't need to find the relative minor.

Quote by satriani11
what i ment with question 4 is rather than using aeolin mode to play minors for say a solo, can you just find the respective minor and choose that. for example rather than using a aeoling could you simply just go to am pentatonic?

Honestly, you can do anything you want. Theory isn't the rules of music, there aren't rules for music. It sort of explains why things sound the way they do. Don't read something that says "For a minor song, you must use the minor pent scale of the same key" and then assume that nothing else will sound good.

I'm not discouraging you from learning more theory, its a tool we can use to help creativity and making our music more interesting. Hope that helped you a little
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
Quote by iain4444
Honestly, you can do anything you want.

BINGO!

as iain said, theory isnt the rules to music.. its really more a guide to "what sounds best with what" but after all of music theory is said and done the song you write is only that.

something YOU wrote.

its all about your ears, your fingers and your brian.. whats comming out of you.