ive been memorizing the notes on the fret board and i saw a method on the internet to find the notes and i was wondering if i should use this method or just learn the entire fret board. and do any of you use this method. anyways the methid says this:

to find a note you can just go to the 5th or fourth string and just go two frets right
like this:

for the second string you just go two strings down and two frets left

source: http://www.essentialguitar.com/page3.htm
Well thats just using an octave that you already know. I do sometimes, but not so much anymore. I'm starting to know what a lot of them are. Its a decent method (very easy for me) but it can take a second or two to figure out the note at first.

I've noticed it also gave me odd note associations that some what influenced my playing, which isn't a bad thing. I didn't know this was a "method", it seems really obvious to me.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
Yeah I wouldn't call it a method either, it is good however once you know the fretboard and are working in scales as it's simple to find another root note, other than that however I can't say much about it.
*shrugs* I don't know...
in my opinion, the best way to learn the fretboard is to learn, say the E string, and then all of the E's on the fretboard. from there, use octaves. that's the way I learned and others find it good too.. soon after that little bit of memorization you'll be able to figure out any note relatively quickly. like iain said, you get to a point where you just know them, and the way i got to that point was through the method i just described. wow bad horsie just came on, i need to stop typing and listen to this.
Gear List:
Jackson DKMG Dinky Cobalt-Blue
Washburn EA8B Cutaway
Line 6 Spider II 112
Jekyll & Hyde Overdrive/Distortion Pedal
Boss RC20-XL Looper Station
i wouldnt really worry too much about learning the names of each note of each fret on each string.

its all gonna be e f f# g g# a Bb b c c# d d#

but if you learn each major scale and learn which notes are in each scale you will then technically know (or at least be able to find and understand) each note on the fretboard

if you really wanna know each note on each fret... i suggest learning the major scale that runs up/down a single string (ie:1st string Gmajor --3-5-7-8-10-12-14-15) and while you play each note say it out loud.. this helps rememeber.
satriani gave this exersice, start on a note like A, then play all the A's on the neck, going through each string. there's like 2 or 3 of the same note on each string... do this to a metronome to make it challenging, then once you've gone up and down the neck a few times, move to another note
Quote by the snow queen
satriani gave this exersice, start on a note like A, then play all the A's on the neck, going through each string. there's like 2 or 3 of the same note on each string... do this to a metronome to make it challenging, then once you've gone up and down the neck a few times, move to another note

wow.

ill have to try that...

but even with this exercise it would mean that you would have to already know where each A is, or you know a way to find out where each A is.

scales solve that problem.

... or maybe one of those posters that has like every note and a few scales and some chords.. youve seen em. you could stand in front of one of those.
^^This method actually sound like a better (if harder) way of learning the notes. The book I had told me to start on one string. Play the notes chromatically up and down on that string whilst naming them as I go along. Then after some repetitiveness, call out random notes and find them on that string. It was taking me too long and I gave up after learning the E and A (probably the most important strings) but I might give this a go some day.
Quote by jimtaka
i'd say your guitar is out of tune, or you are accidentally muting strings that you aren't trying to, or your right hand isn't strumming at the same time that your left hand is fretting, or you could be reading the tab upside down...
I just figured out a way i'm using too learn the fret board. Get a fretboard with all the notes on it and if your learning all the A's, circle them in red, and learn. Repeat with all the notes, and eventually learn the sharpes which would be easy because there usally a fret higher infront of its main note.
i learned using the octave way...i found it a lot easier than learning note by note on each string

i just memorized the EADGBE & octaved it all around...the inbetween notes are a breeze that way since E & F are together and so are B & C
i found it very fast & efective