I'm trying out for my school jazz band tommorow, and I was wondering what the most used jazz chords are. I have the major and minor chords, and I'm kind of getting used to 7ths (I'm gonna practice them tonight.) Any suggestions on chords I'll need to learn?
The person below me is probably a homosexual.
6ths, major sevenths, diminished,augmented, 9ths, 13ths, you have ur work cut out for you
Quote by GuitarHobbiest
What exactly is a powerchord?

Quote by laid_to_waste
My trouser snake is friendly. If you pet him, he might even do a trick! think I'm going to hell for that one.
Quote by IlIk2plygUItAr
Its not that hard just learn the bar chord versions of the songs.

That also sounds uninteresting. Remember it's jazz, not rock n roll.

You're going to want to learn your seventh chords, which I found are most popular in jazz. Learn the following and a couple of different voicings...

Major Seventh (maj7)

The Major Seventh chord is formed by adding a major seventh over a major triad. For example, a Cmaj7 would be C, E, G, and B.

Dominant Seventh (7)

The Dominant Seventh chord is formed by adding a minor seventh over a major triad. A C7 would be C, E, G, and Bb.

Minor Seventh (m7)

The Minor Seventh chord is formed by adding a minor seventh over a minor triad. A Cm7 would be C, Eb, G, and Bb.

Half Diminshed Seventh ( Tiny O with line through it diagonly followed by a 7 hehe)

A Half Diminished Seventh chord is formed by adding a minor seventh over a diminished triad. Aka. Minor Seventh Flat-Five chord (m7b5). For example in C, the chord would consist of C, Eb, Gb, and Bb.

Diminished Seventh (Tiny O followed by a 7)

A Half Diminished Seventh chord is formed by adding a diminished (a whole step down) seventh above a major triad. For example a C Diminished Seventh would be made up of C, Eb, Gb, and Bbb (or A).

That should cover up Seventh chords for you. Just memorize the above and learn some voicings and you should be set with Seventh chords!
Yesterday is right...
I am in a school jazz band and its a lot of different chords, but the sevenths show up a lot more than anything else.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Quote by Striketalonx
Yesterday is right...
I am in a school jazz band and its a lot of different chords, but the sevenths show up a lot more than anything else.

Yep. I'd also recommend you memorize Dorian scales if you're soloing. They come up alot too.
Quote by yEsTeRdAy`
Yep. I'd also recommend you memorize Dorian scales if you're soloing. They come up alot too.

Hmmm,
I kinda inferred he is gonna be a freshmen going into high school..
and in that case he probably won't want to get cocky and try to solo,
especially if he only has half the chords memorized....
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Quote by Striketalonx
Hmmm,
I kinda inferred he is gonna be a freshmen going into high school..
and in that case he probably won't want to get cocky and try to solo,
especially if he only has half the chords memorized....

Psh, if the jazz program is anything like in my school you're EXPECTED to be able to solo (any instrument). Of all instruments, they'll expect guitar to solo. If you're a freshman in high school thats even more of a reason to show your capacity.