well since my last thread didnt work. im looking for a good bass for me thats about 300-400$. something with active pickups, and a thin,fast neck, pretty low action, and good for normal picking and a bit of slap-pop. this will be the first bass i have actually bought (ive been borrowing for awhile) and i need a good starting point. maybe if i dont point out that this thread has been done before by other people, with answers that apply to their preferences, it won't get shut down. sorry if i sound bitter
Umm, your last closed thread is about 6 posts down from this one... closed for the same reason. There are so many threads about this, just read the other ones on this page.

However, I recommend an Ibanez.
Schecterman's Accomplice, of the Schecter Stiletto Players Will Rule The World Club. PM Fett13 or Your41Plague12 to join.

EQ:
Schecter Stiletto Extreme 5
Yamaha RBX170
I don't think any threads about which bass to get should be closed as everyone has different needs for their bass. For $3-400 you could get a Mexican Fender Jazz bass, or you could buy an SX Jazz from Rondo and use that money to put some better pickups and bridge on it, and you'll end up with a pretty nice chunk of wood.
Jesus **** why can't kids these days just go to a ****ing music store and try basses out? I mean is this next generation of bassist retarded or something? Do they always have to ask "HAI GUYS WUT SHOOLD I SPEND WIT MAI MONEY PLEASE GIVE ME MY OPINION OLOLOL!"

Christ, you go to a music store, you try out basses in the $300 range, you compare their feel, playability, sound and features, and then you pick the one that appeals to you most its not ****ing rocket science. Unless you have legitimate and specific questions about a bass, and have already done some homework yourself, shut the **** up, get off your ass, and look yourself.

Im ****ing tired of these threads on this forum.
Once you get to the top, the only way to go is down.
^I agree with what you are trying to say, but I don't agree with the way you presented yourself. Don't be a dick about it.

If you are planning on purchasing a bass from the music store, go to the store and play around to see what fits your style the best. You will be amazed when you try out different basses. You will like something that none of us mentioned, or something that one of us said was bad. All instruments are built differently, and they all feel different. Getting your instrument set up can make it feel a certain way, but it will still be that same bass. Buying instruments online is a very risky buisness, and I strongly suggest not doing so. I have read multiple horror stories about people buying basses they played at stores that were great, but then they got one in the mail that sucked. I have also read stories where UPS will mess up the bass, or leave it out in the heat all day long so that every part will be warped. Buying instruments from local stores instead of online not only can be safer, but it can also be less expensive. You can't barter with a website, but you can pull down the price of a bass. I got my bass for $80 less, which may not seem like much to you, but at the time I didn't have much cash on me. Also, if you buy an instrument from a local shop, you will have a much better warrenty. Plus, you can come down and ask the person who sold you the instrument questions about the bass, and have them fix it up (assuming you are not buying from Guitar Center or SamAsh).

I know you are probably just asking for suggestions as to what to look for, but the bass section in most stores is relatively small. There will only be 6 or 7 basses at max in your pricerange, so trying them all is no biggy. You're bound to find one that is fit for you. Good luck and happy shopping

And to bumper, whenever I read through these things, people recommend the SAME BASSES every time. So, I am going to do just that.

Threadstarter: If you really want me to just come out and answer your question, I really suggest saving up an extra $150 and going with an Ibanez SR500. It has that thin and fast neck, active Bartonlini pickups, it has a nice warm, round slap tone, and it has a lot of growl to it.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Quote by crust_punk
I thought about that too before I posted this link.
I went to guitar center, tried it out, and it really did surprise me. FUKING KIKASS LOW ACTION.

Action on any bass can be adjusted o.O
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Your response, Incubus_SCIENCE, seems to me the one and only reasonable answer to Jaydub's completely reasonable and ligitimate question. It's clear, complete and well said. Isn't it a good idea for you as being the moderator to copy it and past it every time you close a 'what instrument to buy' thread?
Last edited by Marcel Veltman at Aug 22, 2006,
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
And to bumper, whenever I read through these things, people recommend the SAME BASSES every time. So, I am going to do just that.

Werd bro, it's just that I remember what it was like to be a bass noobie and I needed a bunch of help. So it kinda irks me when threads where people genuinely need help get closed. I think we should make a new forum rule that says if you're asking a "what bass question" you should ask for specifics that would appeal to only you.
in this price range Ibanez, and Peavey, rule. these 2 brands generally give the most bang for the buck. you could also look into a used, Fender Getty Lee Jazz, if you can find one. don't be afraid of used basses. there are some good deals out there.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
in this price range Ibanez, and Peavey, rule. these 2 brands generally give the most bang for the buck. you could also look into a used, Fender Getty Lee Jazz, if you can find one. don't be afraid of used basses. there are some good deals out there.

This guy knows exactly what he is saying, also add Yamaha, I find them very realiable, great for a man on the budget. And yeah, try used and refurbished (practically all my equipment is used or refurbished, except my first bass)
ill look into ibanez some more then. also, i was on musiciansfriend and saw the epiphone ripper bass, has anyone heard one or played it? and killibinizik, heaven forbid i upset you and use the resources at my disposal so i dont throw away money on something i dont know much about. ranting about it really helps
Oh ok you want to talk about resources?

Heres one, and it happens to be at the top of the page.

Its called the search function and just happens to help you look for one of a thousand other "WHAT BASSE DOO I BUY LOLOL?!" threads in this forum.

Don't think your case is oh-so-special and deserves attention. Your questions have been asked by many many many other people.

Its nothing that can't be solved by a trip to the store.

So yeah you might want to look into searching for stuff on this forum.

I hear its a pretty useful resource and at your disposal too!
I'm sorry, but if somebody can't take five seconds of their precious time to type in "active bass" or "good slap/pop bass" in the search bar, or even just scroll down the first page to find a thread similar to theirs, and actually makes the same thread twice without realizing the answer was most definately in the first thread needs to have their head examined.

Really some people here have a serious case of either the stupid or lazy and can't take any initiative.
^Ok then. I'll side with you immediatly if you can find a thread like this:
Quote by jaydub
good bass thats about 300-400$. something with active pickups, and a thin,fast neck, pretty low action, and good for normal picking and a bit of slap-pop.

I'm really getting kinda aggrevated by some of the attitudes around here. It's not as friendly and nice as it used to be. Answer his question, and if the mods have a problem about him not searching or posting a bad thread, we will take care of it, not you.

Yeah ^ The bass forum is a congregation of bass players (and the odd guitarist)... we all clearly share the same intrest so therefor should all live in harmony lol or at least try to get along... and yes everyone is entitled to their own opinion but you shouldnt insult people...
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
i didnt intend this to turn into a big thing on UG thread policy. im just looking for a good place to start, and searches show every time the word "pick up" is used on this site, and my local store basically has 3 p basses in a corner. thanks for the advice that was given, im using it.
Okay I know that ive definately presented myself as a dick, but not without reason. Seeing this forum swampped with the same questions and same "LOOKATTHISOMG" threads every month for the whole time I've been here has had me jaded, especially when Ive tried to look for an interesting thread to discuss in.

And jaydub now I see why you are asking this question when you finally state that your store only has a handful of pbasses in the corner. It helps to describe your situation. Trust me when Ive seen people asking for the usual checklist of "fast/slim neck, good for slap, good for picking." and they get the usual responses of "Ibanez/Fender/etc"

Basically if you really want to make a new bass thread you should explain your situation with stuff other than "I want a bass with X features at X price" because that has been done before and you can search the forums for them. As I said before, mentioning that your store has a limited and narrow stock makes it stand out from the crowd of other threads.

Also here are links to other "what bass to buy" threads which help with your specifications.

Slim neck
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274903&highlight=Slim+neck+bass

Pickups (regarding fender at least)
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282815&highlight=pickups+slap

Bass for $300
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=404762&highlight=%24300+bass

Again there is a search bar for a reason.

Also I apologize for the asshatery and if I actually offended you jaydubs, perhaps I should handle my jaded-ness on this forum better.
Last edited by Killibinizik at Aug 26, 2006,
yeah no problem i gusse i can see where your coming from. ill try to explain myself better next time.
Quote by jaydub
i didnt intend this to turn into a big thing on UG thread policy. im just looking for a good place to start, and searches show every time the word "pick up" is used on this site, and my local store basically has 3 p basses in a corner. thanks for the advice that was given, im using it.

This is not your fault, and i'm sorry it had to happen in your thread. This is just the one where everyone let loose.

To Killibinizik: Those threads adress one part of Jaydub's original question, and a lot of those basses have one thing, but not another.