hey, i used to play a lot of classical guitar in school, but it's been over a year since ive been given any classical songs... and well i love playing classical. can anybody recomend something classical to learn, just for one guitar? maybe by Bach I think I learned a few of his pieces.
www.classtab.org

toccata and fugue in Dm(fun)

prelude no 1 in C(super easy)

both are by bach, the entire site is all good

there are so many songs to play, just listen to one you like and then try it. Songs like Canon are hard to play though when there is more than one melody at a time, but songs like beethoven's 5th are good because they are more clear. hopefully you don't know all this already.
Last edited by farcry at Aug 22, 2006,
"Romance"
The music composer made this little piece some time ago
nobody nows who he is (I think ). But the song is pretty cool. I tried to learn it but im not really into classical stuff. The tab can be found on this website.
look under "Romance".
It should show like 140 results
look under · Misc Traditional
on the second page
and look at Spanish Romance.
thanks guys. i think prelude in D was my grade 12 performance exam. i remeber it being pretty easy, same fingering all through, with one posistion that had a huge strets lik 4rth on D and G strings, and 1rst on E
Honestly, you don't attempt concert level pieces until you've gotten very solid grounding in classical technique. Recommendations like Granados and Recuerdos are certainly not for anyone lower than intermediate level.

Running before learning to walk is bad for your technique and you learn wrong habits. 'Solid technique' doesn't only mean being able to catch up with the speed and hit all the notes. The notes have to come out on time and sounding exactly how it should be. Voicing and tonal control are unfortunately lacking in many players only concerned with nailing a piece technically.
Quote by imLoUsY
Honestly, you don't attempt concert level pieces until you've gotten very solid grounding in classical technique. Recommendations like Granados and Recuerdos are certainly not for anyone lower than intermediate level.

Running before learning to walk is bad for your technique and you learn wrong habits. 'Solid technique' doesn't only mean being able to catch up with the speed and hit all the notes. The notes have to come out on time and sounding exactly how it should be. Voicing and tonal control are unfortunately lacking in many players only concerned with nailing a piece technically.

thanks, but don't worry ive already had a fair amount of experiance in classical. just a little rusty is all.
A better gauge would be to know what pieces you already can play, or even better, a recording to allow people to suggest something at your level or slightly above. No point suggesting something out of reach or pieces of no learning value. However I do admit that I still learn simple pieces if they sound good and if I lack time for performance pieces.

But how can you love classical and yet stop playing!? What a sin. LOL!
Quote by imLoUsY
A better gauge would be to know what pieces you already can play, or even better, a recording to allow people to suggest something at your level or slightly above. No point suggesting something out of reach or pieces of no learning value. However I do admit that I still learn simple pieces if they sound good and if I lack time for performance pieces.

But how can you love classical and yet stop playing!? What a sin. LOL!

lol it is a sin, but classical was a second or 3rd love to rock and blues and such.. but i found my old grade 12 book, most of the songs are fairly simple i guess, ive played one or two songs that were a little harder, but i don't remeber which ones, tabs were on my old computer. heres a list... sadly some of them don't have the composers name with them.

Prelude in Dm (i think that was a bach)
Etuden #1 - F. Sor...(rest of the name is blured by photo copy)
Etuden 5 - D. Aguado (this one i quite enjoy playing)
Green Sleeves - Anon
Etude Simples - as recorded by leo Brower
Etude 6 - Leo Brower
Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring - J.S. Bach
Bouree Part II - J.S. Back
Gavotte En Rondeau (from 4rth lute suite BWV 1006A) music by J.S. Bach
Ramanza (no name)

and I know there was a few songs that were just named after tempo's like Largo or allegro, i'm assuming thoughs wouldn't be much help without a composer name.

also most of the songs are less than 4 pages so i think some of them might just be portions of the whole song.

thanks for any help, if I start to develop again I plan to buy a half decent classical guitar soon, when outside of school i have to play on my electric :S
All that, and then the Gavotte en Rondeau from 1006? That's quite a contrast lol
My God, it's full of stars!
Chi Mai - Ennio Morricone
Fur Elise - Ludwig Beethoven
Berceuse Pour Carla - Can't remember the composer's name
Quote by Dreadnought
All that, and then the Gavotte en Rondeau from 1006? That's quite a contrast lol

that one was deffinitely just a sample of the song, there was 5 pages and we only had to play like 3 of them... it was our exam for that year.
Ok here are some pieces.

Leo Brouwer - Cancion de Cuna
Jose Luis Merlin - Evocacion
Heitor Villa-Lobos - Prelude no.1 (the middle movement is pretty tricky!)

Pieces like Albeniz's spanish suite may be rather out of reach for now. You might want to attempt Tarrega's Recuerdos IF your right hand development is quite balanced and your tr***lo pretty decent.

Of course you can play piano transciptions like Theme from Love Story and Pachebel's Canon. Fur Elise will be considerably difficult if you attempt to play the whole piece using a transcription that tries to come close to the piano score.

Pieces like Cancion and Evocacion are technically simple but will take considerable tonal control to make them sound good. In this case, the focus is on tonal colours rather than technical difficulty.

*Note the ridiculous spelling censor at work in this forum. It censors the word t-r-e-m-o-l-o.. LOL
Last edited by imLoUsY at Aug 24, 2006,
A piece that will keep you motivated (although probably out of your reach at the moment) is the Chaconne in Dm by Bach. This is possibly my favourite piece transposed for the guitar. It is a guaranteed showstopper!!!
any classical song that is in the same difficulty range as Classical Gas? I want to play a classical song in a fine arts competition in middle November.
Quote by Cobalt Blue
)
Etuden 5 - D. Aguado (this one i quite enjoy playing)

Ok so where can i find this song?